• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is human life valued more now than it used to be?

Lintu

Is human life valued more now than it used to be a century or more ago? I think it is. A hundred years ago, 500 years ago, there were so many more hazards even in Europe and America that childhood mortality was high and the life expectancy wasn't so high. Children died on treks through western America; people died of cholera epidemics and malaria (and obviously still do in Africa). I feel that people back hundreds of years ago wouldn't have valued life so highly for the sole fact that they would have been so hurt by the pain of loss if they cared. What do you think?

fromthe heart

Lintu said:
Is human life valued more now than it used to be a century or more ago? I think it is. A hundred years ago, 500 years ago, there were so many more hazards even in Europe and America that childhood mortality was high and the life expectancy wasn't so high. Children died on treks through western America; people died of cholera epidemics and malaria (and obviously still do in Africa). I feel that people back hundreds of years ago wouldn't have valued life so highly for the sole fact that they would have been so hurt by the pain of loss if they cared. What do you think?
I actually feel human life is medically being prolonged but not as valued at all. People are way to out for themselves and too bad for anyone else.

DreamQuickBook

Lintu said:

Absolutely. Human life is worth far more today than 100 years ago. No question about it.

jonny

I don't agree that life is less valued now than it was 100 years ago. People may have died from illness and other epidemics, but they had no control over these deaths which means that it doesn't necessarily indicate that they didn't value the lives of those who died.

Part of me would like to think that they had a better understanding of the value of life because they understood how quickly death could come. I have read stories from the journals of my ancestors who had loved ones die while moving west, and they were devasted at the losses and did everything they could to prevent them. One that I know of even walked back to the grave of his wife on a regular basis.

I don't believe that a mother today values the life of her child any more or less than a mother 100 years ago did.

KirbyFan101

Resident Ball of Fluff
fromthe heart said:
I actually feel human life is medically being prolonged but not as valued at all. People are way to out for themselves and too bad for anyone else.
People (like you) have this idealistic view of "the goold ol' days!".

Sorry, but the UN Declaration of Human rights, as well as increasing charity resolve makes it pretty obvious that we are much more pro-life now than we were 100 years ago.

DreamQuickBook

KirbyFan101 said:

Sorry, but the UN Declaration of Human rights, as well as increasing charity resolve makes it pretty obvious that we are much more pro-life now than we were 100 years ago.

Not only that, but we care about lives we never cared about before. Americans care about the lives Africans. Europeans care about the lives of Indonesians. The Japanese care about the lives of Iraqis. The world is smaller and we all feel much more a part of each other, so we no longer see other people's lives as being "less than" ours.

huajiro

Lintu said:
The ironic thing is that there were less people back when they valued them less, and now that we value it more (supposedly), there are more more. I think "value" of human life is very hypocritical......the "value" of any life is these days. Most people only care as much as they feel they need to for people to consider them "human". They only do what is "in-style". Not many do things for others that would risk their own lives, or even their own comfort.

DreamQuickBook

huajiro said:
Not many do things for others that would risk their own lives, or even their own comfort.

Why should they? I value all life, but not above my own or my family, friends and community. The further removed you are from me, the less I care about you as a person, but that doesn't change the fact that you have value.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
fromthe heart said:
I could not agree more - that is the way I see it. You only have to go around old folk's homes, hospital wards for the aged (Well, in this country anyway) - and you will soon get an answer............:(

fromthe heart

KirbyFan101 said:

I'm afraid you lost me on that one. I said nothing about pro-life.:tsk: ...just that folks care so much about themselves they aren't available to help a person in need....they just don't have time to be charitable and kind. Attitudes have become hateful and selfish, YOU seem to have an issue: but trust me the good old days were a lot better than life now. Then we didn't have to trample someone to get further in life...just hard work got you there, today the quality of life is everybody for themselves....used to be if a neighbor was having problems folks flocked to try to help...not so these days. They just don't care. I'm no body special but my neighbors can tell you should they need anything that I can help with they're be welcome to whatever I have to give...if you see that as just old fashioned well call me old fashioned because I'm there for a fellow human being in need. It's NOT idealistic to be kind,charitable,unselfish, as well as a decent human being. So perhaps you just need to look at the world to see how bad things have become and we all get to live longer to deal with it.