• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Homeschooling ok?

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Depends on the parents... most parents are great with some subjects and not so good with others. It also depends on if the parents make shure that the kids get enough time to learn to socialize with other people. (not family)

wa:do

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
Most homeschooling nowadays is done through programs that supply a curriculum. I'm homeschooled through one such program, and it has many benefits. The only problem I see is that I'm sometimes not as motivated, because I don't have a teacher up my *** all the time. Of course, that could be seen as a good thing... :p

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
I think it's fine as long as the parents and the kids are committed to it. I briefly toyed with the idea of homeschooling my kids, but that thought didn't last long, thank goodness lol.

johnnys4life

Pro-life Mommy
I agree that it depends on the parents and also how much social interaction the kids have. From what I've seen, there are some homeschooled kids who do have an advantage. I have known 2 girls who were homeschooled and did well, (one graduated high school at 16, the other was studying algebra at 10) and then again I've seen a few that did poorly.
One girl I knew who was homeschooled did excellently in acedemics, but still played with dolls and sucked her thumb at age 13, and couldn't relate to her peers at all. A teenage boy I knew who was homeschooled just talked back and played video games all day, and his parents fought to get him to crack a book. A guy friend of mine who was homeschooled was incredibly shy and nervous around other people until he was like 29.
But I think it can work out. There are even homeschooling play groups for kids of all ages so they can get that social interaction they need.
Personally I would only consider homeschooling my daughter if I felt she was having trouble or it was too dangerous at her school.

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
A teenage boy I knew who was homeschooled just talked back and played video games all day, and his parents fought to get him to crack a book.

Perhaps the parents needed to back off a bit. The teenage years are when your body wants you to assert yourelf. Back in ancient, ancient times, the males would leave and get their own families. The hormonal signature of those times is still with us, so he only does what is natural to do. Also, playing video games all day is also called "deschooling". It's the time when your mind adjusts to all of the newfound freedom you have. If they leave him alone, he'll eventually start it up, of his own accord.

anders

The only cases of homeschooling I have found on the Internet for Sweden are when the child has been so mentally, physically or emotionally challenged that normal schooling has been judged as impossible. In all those cases, the community school board has to set up a plan of study, to see to that the national curriculum is followed, and supply the teachers.

Religion is no reason for homeschooling, because the curriculum is religiously neutral. Nowadays, several religions are studied in the subject Religion, which centers on mutual understanding. For the extremely rare case that the pupil's parents believe in creationism (and in those cases, they will probably be Jehova's Witnesses), the biology teacher will say "I respect your views, but this is the way I teach the subject and you'd better learn it that way to get a passing grade".

School is compulsory between the ages 7 and 16. It is the duty of the local school board to see to that everyone in this range gets schooling according to the national curriculum.

I have found no provisions or possibilities for home schooling in other cases than those mentioned. If allowed, the parents would then probably have to 1) present very good reasons, 2) prove that they have access to sufficient expertise in teaching and in all subjects to guarantee that the national curriculum will be adhered to.

dolly

It depends on what the parents are like. To be honest, I know very little about homeschooling. I do hope, though, that the parents need to be interviewed/etc, have a decent education, etc. The social life o the child is also important.

Eh. I think it's "goodness" (and "badness") varies way to much for this to be a simple answer. ; )

Hope

Princesinha
I was homeschooled, and I have to agree with those who have said that it is good as long as it is done right. I personally did not like being homeschooled, but maybe if it had been done better, I wouldn't have minded it as much. But, on the other hand, I am glad I didn't go to public school. I think the quality of the education I received on a purely academic level was in fact much, much better than what I would have received at a public school. In comparison to peers at public schools, I was nearly a grade ahead in most subjects. But, in all fairness, I think there are pros and cons to each form of schooling.

Lightkeeper

I heard there are a lot of bullies, so home schooling would solve that problem. One really important aspect of school is the social. One learns to cope in the world by learning to deal with many different types of people. You also prepare for the working world by getting up and going someplace on a daily basis. I would say if there are no real problems school is the better alternative.