• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Hinduism A Closed Practice?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
It's obviously useful to have wise teachers. I was querying the idea that you must have a guru, like it's a condition of membership or something.
One can learn from myriad of hings, people. I got the best lesson of my life from my former supervisor who told me that we can engage even in a war without emotions like anger or hate. I understood the message of Gita with that. Act in dharma without any attachment.' Whether you would have a guru or not is your choice. Only don't be fooled, select the right guru. My problem with gurus is that they are most of the times biased towards their own sect. I do not like that.

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
And yes, there are westerners who claim they're Hindu because it's cool, or some other invalid reason, but that's not around much either. Usually those types don't show up at temples.

I knew there was a reason I don't go to temple. ;)

How cool am I? :cool:

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
No offence but don't you think he went a little too far?

Not taking anaesthetic during surgery, then sleeping with his grand-niece and other girls.
I mean he was trying desperately to prove something to the world, probably his greatness or mental strength. But ultimately he ended up tarnishing his image.
Not only that, he didn't even realize what could be the aftereffects of his actions. A couple of girls whom he slept with, went into some sort of trauma, as they would often weep in isolation.

Saints like Vivekananda and Shankaracharya practiced strict celibacy without the need to test their self control.

In the case of Vivekananda, after his father died, he was very much in grief and so his friends dragged him to brothels to cheer him up. Even though he was drunk, he didn’t let the prostitutes touch him.
Yes Gandhi went too far.
His work was also more challenging than most. Yogis have easier time of it than people who are tasked with leading a people.

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
ISKCON expansion in Russia since 2000 (180 centers now) is definitely comparable to ISKCON in America in the 60s and 70s. Hinduism grows via movements like that, and immigration.

Russia | ISKCON Centers

I'm just wondering aloud. There are some who say Sanathana Dharma was the way of the entire world in times immemorial, given the Abrahamic and other religions are all dated to much later times.

Can we say then, world is regressing?! :)

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
Oh! :D
Well, you let the cat out at the end. :D
Absolutely funny. Just like Hindu.

Thank you, sir. I forgot to mention that the prospective Hindu is also required to mow the pandit's lawn every week during the summer season. :p

I like your criteria for what constitutes a Hindu, by the way. Knowing that Hinduism is not a centralized religion like Catholic Christianity, and that Hinduism is not homogenous, it makes sense that a Hindu is any person who accepts the label and says he or she is a Hindu. As well, seeing that there are no conversion ceremonies, it really just depends on the individual person deciding that he or she is Hindu.

ajay0

No offence but don't you think he went a little too far?

Not taking anaesthetic during surgery, then sleeping with his grand-niece and other girls.
I mean he was trying desperately to prove something to the world, probably his greatness or mental strength.

The ideals of celibacy and self-control is emphasized in Hinduism. Many feats in this direction have been mentioned in the scriptures so people try to emulate them.

There is a famous story of Chaitanya Mahaprabhu's Guru placing sugar cubes in Chaitanya's tongue, and then going for a bath. After the bath, the Guru thought that saliva emitted by the tongue due to greed would have melted the cubes. But upon inspection of Chaitanya the Guru found that the cubes were intact. This was seen as a great feat of self-control and mastery over the senses, and it is said that the astounded Guru took Chaitanya for his Guru instead.

In the Mahabharatha, you can see Arjuna deep in meditation and austerities in the forest for strengthening himself, that beautiful apsara women were unable to disturb his state of meditation, much to their frustration.

So there are many such stories and it motivates people in this direction.

Gandhi had written in his memoirs of his dissatisfaction with his carnal feelings and lust in his youth, as he put it , and took absolute celibacy and self-control as an ideal.

He was also influenced a lot by Jainism, which similarly emphasized nonviolence and hard austerity.

He undertook all kinds of austerities upon himself to eliminate all passion with respect to lust or anger or greed in his system and did all kind of projects in this regard, which may appear weird to some people who do not know the cultural and religious background behind this.

Mahavira, the founder of the Jain religion and many Jain monks in present,were and are nude in private or public. Even some Indians find it gross, but it is a part of the austerities they took upon themselves.

Experiments on celibacy by Gandhi included sleeping with naked women

But ultimately he ended up tarnishing his image.
Not only that, he didn't even realize what could be the aftereffects of his actions. A couple of girls whom he slept with, went into some sort of trauma, as they would often weep in isolation.

Women who took part in such projects of his on self-mastery, did so voluntarily, and if it were an act of coercion, she could easily complain to his critics and detractors then. But they understood the reasons behind such actions of his and worked with him.

I have never read or heard of anyone crying of trauma because of such acts. Many propagandists today trying to defame Gandhi use such tactics with exaggerations. And this include many Indians and misguided Hindu fundamentalists as well who were upset with his ideals of fraternity and equality of all human beings and denunciation of casteism and hatred.

Saints like Vivekananda and Shankaracharya practiced strict celibacy without the need to test their self control.

In the case of Vivekananda, after his father died, he was very much in grief and so his friends dragged him to brothels to cheer him up. Even though he was drunk, he didn’t let the prostitutes touch him.

Vivekananda never had such an experience, and as a youth, out of idealistic pride, he used to avoid walking near streets with brothels and looked down upon them.

Later on, he revised his views upon hearing a devotional song from a courtesan, whom he had formerly avoided.This happened in the court of a king who had invited him. He developed understanding and compassion for such people.

It is actually Gandhi who had the said experience, and he faithfully recorded it in his autobiography.

As I said earlier, many propagandists all over the world try to defame Gandhi for ideological purposes related to ultra-nationalism or fascism.

Coming from the tide of the two world wars and the holocausts, the sheer momentum of violence was enough to bring about the third and final world war and nuclear holocaust in the last century itself. Gandhi himself had criticized nuclear weapons and emphasized the necessity of the doctrine of nonviolence then.

And you can see that there were a couple of times when the world was in the verge of this, and was averted at the last moments due to some wise judgements , which had deferred official orders to launch nuclear weapons.

I would say Gandhi's doctrine of nonviolence had a great impact all over the world, and leaders like Martin Luther King, Cesar Chavez, Nelson Mandela , Andrei Sakharov had nurtured and cultivated a culture of nonviolence in the world, which probably had prevented a nuclear holocaust and the end of the world till date.

Gandhi may have had his faults, which he himself have admitted, but his legacy of the doctrine of nonviolence is quite important for the world if wars and human conflict is to end.

Last edited:

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
No , the 'must' implies a condition, and there are no such conditions. Many hindus don't have a guru themselves.The master comes when the student is ready and not prior to that.

However it is auspicious to have a good Guru, and the scriptures themselves have been written by such Gurus.

The external Guru helps the student to access the inner Guru or the Self and this inner Guru is the best.

Actually there was a strong emphasis on having a guru when I was involved in Tibetan Buddhism. IMO the difficulty comes when people develop a slavish devotion to their guru, and don't listen to anyone else, losing sight of their inner guru.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Actually there was a strong emphasis on having a guru when I was involved in Tibetan Buddhism. IMO the difficulty comes when people develop a slavish devotion to their guru, and don't listen to anyone else, losing sight of their inner guru.

Guru is like a road map. You're less likely to get lost. No traditional Guru would demand slavish devotion. Also, traditionally, Guru is living, and devotee can have a personal conversation about topics relating only to that individual. Tutorial has always been the best method of teaching, as lessons are individualised.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I’ve never had opposition or disapproval from any Indian Hindu I’ve met. Many of them are fascinated and flattered, and even ask me how I came to Hinduism. The priests and managers have been especially welcoming. In fact, because I haven’t been to temple except once since the pandemic started I’m sure they will ask me how and where I’ve been. That’s not ego, that’s experience. I get big hellos when I come back after being MIA or AWOL for a few weeks. So yeah... pretty welcoming.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I’ve never had opposition or disapproval from any Indian Hindu I’ve met. Many of them are fascinated and flattered, and even ask me how I came to Hinduism. The priests and managers have been especially welcoming. In fact, because I haven’t been to temple except once since the pandemic started I’m sure they will ask me how and where I’ve been. That’s not ego, that’s experience. I get big hellos when I come back after being MIA or AWOL for a few weeks. So yeah... pretty welcoming.

After showing up a couple times, the priest asked us, a little baffled "do you guys actually like this stuff?" And then we showed up at least once a month for awhile(we would have loved more, but its too far away).

When I got pregnant with the last kid, we didn't show for awhile due to me being a big barf head(smells made me throw up). I don't think anyone could tell I was pregnant when we came back, though, as I carried so high and the saree being pretty concealing. We got some tsk tsking from the priest for not showing up for so long.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I know the priest here as well, especially the chief priest. In his second year here, he rented a van, and Boss and I took he, his wife, and 13 year old son, on a road trip through British Columbia ... to remote waterfalls, to Victoria, to the top of Whistler Mountain, etc. 9 or 10 days travelling together in a van allows you to get to know people. I learned a lot about how they got out of Sri Lanka, etc. They had to get up at least an hour earlier than us every day to do their personal obligatory prayers that come with being a Brahmin priest. Food was a challenge, because they weren't really into western vegetarian. We ended up eating out of a lot of grocery stores, and we went to the single South Indian pure vegetarian restaurant in Vancouver about 8 times I think. Felt like more. Hotel breakfasts were okay.

These days this temple community is my community. I've lost touch with work colleagues, and other than a couple of brothers 2 hours away and folks in my sampradaya in Mauritius, the US, or Malaysia, this temple group is it. We probably know 50+ couples by name. I got recognised 3 or 4 times in the temples of Toronto, by people who had relatives here, or ones who moved there from here. They just walk up and say 'Hi ______." But that's what happens after 40+ years. We are no longer seen at all as white Hindus, but just members of the group. I stare at (well, not quite) at new white Hindus just like my friends do. Wonder who they are, how they got interested, and all that curious stuff. Sometimes I approach and offer assistance.

One of the greatest compliments I've ever received about that integration was in India in a hotel elevator 2 blocks from Chidambaram. A pair of white ladies, either Christian missionaries, or tourists, looked at us curiously and asked, "Do you live here?" Apparently it looked like we did. Albinos maybe? (I jest)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I'm just wondering aloud. There are some who say Sanathana Dharma was the way of the entire world in times immemorial, given the Abrahamic and other religions are all dated to much later times.
The 'dharma' that people were following before the rise of these later religions was 'sanātana'. Then the 'dharma' was distorted.

Last edited: