• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is hate ok?

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
So what is positive about such?
I did not say its positive. Its just emotion, a feeling humans have. I see no use to call feelings good, bad. It is what it is.

And consider this. We have been talking about homosexuality, also a feeling, emotion. Most agree we don't choose, hence to judge gay as negative is kind of absurd. Similar is with emotion 'hate'

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I did not say its positive. Its just emotion, a feeling humans have. I see no use to call feelings good, bad. It is what it is.

And consider this. We have been talking about homosexuality, also a feeling, emotion. Most agree we don't choose, hence to judge gay as negative is kind of absurd. Similar is with emotion 'hate'
Well if hate is not a negative emotion, what would you call it when it so often results in negative action, like towards the subjects of one's hate - perhaps towards homosexuals?

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Well if hate is not a negative emotion, what would you call it when it so often results in negative action, like towards the subjects of one's hate - perhaps towards homosexuals?
The emotion "hate" I call neither positive nor negative

The moment someone acts on it in a negative way, then I call the action negative, not the emotion though

It's unhealthy to negatively judge one's emotion, as it will empower the emotion, making it impossible to transform

I'll share one experience that illustrates it:
I rather be a witness of the emotion hate or anger. Once I felt an enormous rage boiling inside.. It lasted for ca. 3 hours. But I was in a contemplative state, just witnessing the rage going on. And I, the witness, was smiling totally detached about this enormous rage attach. This was one of my most amazing experiences. Afterwards I loved everyone, being the witness transformed the hate inside into love. It was amazing.

A woman who had been very mean to me, and I hated 3 hours before, I totally was in love again. But I am wise, and know that she has not changed. So, of course I did not act on this emotion, and did not get back with her, but I was grateful that my hate was gone. That was a very powerful experience

Marcion

gopa of humanity's controversial Taraka Brahma
But is there good in hatred? Can hatred result in a positive outcome by incorporating it into one's personal life? In what situations is it ok to hate?
In spiritual life 'hate' is one of the enemies of spiritual progress. Even when it is channeled into bitter sarcasm or attacks on things that are perceived as negative (such as proselytization), it does not help on the spiritual path.

Last edited:

Deidre

I think it's fine to hate concepts that hurt others. For example, hating bigotry can bring about change, but hating bigots may not. Simply hating something or someone doesn't bring about change, though. There is a lot of negative, hateful language on social media for example, but that in and of itself doesn't bring about change. So, we have to find ways to channel the hate of a certain situation/problem, into meaningful progress.

RestlessSoul

I think it's fine to hate concepts that hurt others. For example, hating bigotry can bring about change, but hating bigots may not. Simply hating something or someone doesn't bring about change, though. There is a lot of negative, hateful language on social media for example, but that in and of itself doesn't bring about change. So, we have to find ways to channel the hate of a certain situation/problem, into meaningful progress.

Hate invariably hurts the hater. It is a fire that burns indiscriminately. Good luck if you think you can control it. I would suggest that love is a far more effective force for positive change.

Deidre

Hate invariably hurts the hater. It is a fire that burns indiscriminately. Good luck if you think you can control it. I would suggest that love is a far more effective force for positive change.
Of course, love is far more effective...what I'm saying though is that hate is often thrown at people, and that type of hatred burns bridges towards change. They say the opposite of hate isn't love, it's indifference. I think that not caring at all might be worse...but, I get your point.