• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is hate ok?

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
I think it is important to distinguish hate from anger. They often go hand in hand as one induces the other but anger is fleeting. It is an emotion connected to adrenalin, aggression and agitation. It makes you move.
Hate, on the other hand, is more intellectual. It makes you think, it makes you plot. The guy who really hated to get wet invented the umbrella. Those who were just angry, complained about it.
When you really want to change something and are willing to do something about it after your anger has gone, then you hate. That hate will keep you going and focused and it will keep your memory sharp.

I'm just too lazy to hate anything.

Some absolutely excellent points here...

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
For me, hatred is the barrier that one often erects between oneself and others, and allowing one to distance oneself from them - the 'other' - such that not much is gained by doing so. Factual evidence might fly out the window and truth evaporate as to the reality of any situation. It might be hard to love all exactly but hate is the last emotion one should want to experience when viewing any other - since it tends to warp oneself in the process.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
One visible sign of this is that I often see a bit less violent and risky behavior among the elderly, in general
Might also be fear OR being aware of the risks (some youngsters just don't see the things, due to lack of introspection)

So maybe something like wisdom trumps hate
:cool:
Very TRUE, very valuable

The question might be how to become wiser at a greater rate.
I know how, but are you ready to hear it?

John1.12

Free gift
Hate seems to be an emotion we can all agree is negative by it's nature. Many terrible things that have happened all throughout time have been rooted in hatred, but ultimately it is an emotion designed to gird us in combatting perceived threats. It does have a use, apparently.

But fear, lack of compassion, bigotry, and other negative things either run in tandem with hatred, or are influenced by it. Sometimes we even use it to fill a void we feel in our lives.

But is there good in hatred? Can hatred result in a positive outcome by incorporating it into one's personal life? In what situations is it ok to hate?
Depends on the cause .

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
I would say that hatred is an emotion, not an action. And - as the emotion that hatred is - I do not see how it can be anything but destructive.

Hatred is like a poison that tortures the hater from within. The only way to free oneself from existing hatred is to learn to forgive - oneself and those who have failed or wronged one.

Humbly
Hermit

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
I would say that hatred is an emotion, not an action. And - as the emotion that hatred is - I do not see how it can be anything but destructive.

Hatred is like a poison that tortures the hater from within. The only way to free oneself from existing hatred is to learn to forgive - oneself and those who have failed or wronged one.

Humbly
Hermit

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I experience hatred, both towards others & towards me.
It's neither good nor bad fundamentally.

RestlessSoul

I experience hatred, both towards others & towards me.
It's neither good nor bad fundamentally.

You mean you experience self hate? That doesn’t sound good. Or do you mean experience the hatred of others towards you? That doesn’t sound good either tbh.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Hate seems to be an emotion we can all agree is negative by it's nature. Many terrible things that have happened all throughout time have been rooted in hatred, but ultimately it is an emotion designed to gird us in combatting perceived threats. It does have a use, apparently.

But fear, lack of compassion, bigotry, and other negative things either run in tandem with hatred, or are influenced by it. Sometimes we even use it to fill a void we feel in our lives.

But is there good in hatred? Can hatred result in a positive outcome by incorporating it into one's personal life? In what situations is it ok to hate?
I think hate has a practical value in situations where one needs to respond to persistent danger and threats. To be able to recognize threats and remove them in terms of safety and preservation.

This is not a peaceful existence, nor one where everyone and everything will become 'safe' enough to eradicate hatred.

Ironically making hate necessary for survival.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You mean you experience self hate? That doesn’t sound good. Or do you mean experience the hatred of others towards you? That doesn’t sound good either tbh.
Oh, far from hating myself, I'm quite pleased with myself.
Tis others who hate me.
Airing one's candid opinions can engender hatred.
I accept that as inevitable.

RestlessSoul

Oh, far from hating myself, I'm quite pleased with myself.
Tis others who hate me.
Airing one's candid opinions can engender hatred.
I accept that as inevitable.

Hatred is a bit strong isn’t it? How controversial are your candid opinions? You wouldn’t expect a heated exchange of views to engender actual hate.

Psalm23

I am thinking when it is directed to evils such as injustice in the world, violence and abuse, and racism. Hatred should never be directed at a person or group. When people steal and burn down buildings or cars in the name of “ protest” of some wrong, it seems to me more of an excuse to do wrong in the guise of fighting against wrong. It doesn’t make sense in my opinion.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
But is there good in hatred?
Many religions take the position of "hate the sin but not the sinner", and I can agree with this to a point.

Can hatred result in a positive outcome by incorporating it into one's personal life?
Long-term hate hurts the person harboring it, thus hate should have its limits. But short-term hate is a rather natural reaction that should be controlled, imo.