• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is happiness in this life important?

sciatica

Notable Member
A Christian might say not the most important thing. Still I think we are allowed to savour joyful moments. Like the birth of a child.
A Buddhist might say happiness is all in the mind. That you can be happy even during a difficult stressful phase of life.
Joy and motivation are important imo. Such moments can reaffirm life.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Of course. We are given many things to enjoy. Food, animals, sex, friendships, creative play, holidays and so much more.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
If happiness is important to you, it’s important.

If it’s not mportamt to you, them it’s not.

The importance of happiness is dependent on one’s attachment to it.

Check local listings.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
A Christian might say not the most important thing. Still I think we are allowed to savour joyful moments. Like the birth of a child.
A Buddhist might say happiness is all in the mind. That you can be happy even during a difficult stressful phase of life.

‘Abdu’l-Baha
once commented

If we are not happy and joyous at this season, for what other season shall we wait and for what other time shall we look?

sciatica

Notable Member
If happiness is important to you, it’s important.

If it’s not mportamt to you, them it’s not.

The importance of happiness is dependent on one’s attachment to it.

Check local listings.
Reminds me of the popular saying "It is what it is." Which i have always found meaningless.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Reminds me of the popular saying "It is what it is." Which i have always found meaningless.

If it’s meaningless to you, then you’re right. It’s meaningless. :)

Apologies for the disruption.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Why would you find that meaningless? Is it useful to pretend that something is what it clearly isn't, and pretend that it won't hurt you? Or is it usually better to recognize it for what it is, and deal with it on that basis?

sciatica

Notable Member
Why would you find that meaningless? Is it useful to pretend that something is what it clearly isn't, and pretend that it won't hurt you? Or is it usually better to recognize it for what it is, and deal with it on that basis?
it was what it was?
it will be what it will be?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
If this life is all you have (as I believe), then yes, happiness is important.

And yes, if you're sensible, you can even be happy when times are tough. That just requires knowing that the problems are not everything -- that the richness of life offers so many opportunities to find joy.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
it was what it was?
it will be what it will be?
No question about "it was what it was," (ignoring those who like to rewrite history for nefarious reasons.)

Can't answer for what will be, except to say that I may have an impact on how my own future turns out, and hopefully make choices that make "what will be" a good thing.

sciatica

Notable Member
If this life is all you have (as I believe), then yes, happiness is important.

And yes, if you're sensible, you can even be happy when times are tough. That just requires knowing that the problems are not everything -- that the richness of life offers so many opportunities to find joy.
I think one ingredient to happiness is not taking anything too seriously. Whether it is Christian or Atheist Doctrine.