• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is God's love really unconditional?

gottalovemoses

Im mad as Hell!
God loves us, ....... as long as we............
humbly repent
turn towards Him
obey His commandments (especially the "love" ones)

Seems there is no such thing as unconditional love then.

Aiviu

Love comes from God. It seems we must have to obey His commandments at first. But when we finally notice that it was what we always wanted. So to whom we obey?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Keep in mind this is a Dir, so rule 10 applies everyone. RF Rules It is a Christian-only zone and a no arguing zone. Everyone shares what they think without criticizing, or they create work for the moderators. Lets not create work for the moderators. Ok, I admit I am a moderator; but this is just a friendly personal post nothing officious.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
humbly repent
turn towards Him

I think someone once told me that unconditional love is an ideal. To me that means it exists in God, and so it is not only something that I aspire to but something I don't fully understand. There is a wall beyond which we cannot see, and it is not unlike the furthest distance a person can see or gazing into the sun. As one writer says God dwells in inapproachable light.

pearl

According to Thomas Aquinas who asked 'if God is everywhere, is God in hell, and answered yes and that God was is in hell loving the damned who may refuse to be loved but they cannot not cause God to not love them.

As far as the east is from the west,

so far has he removed our sins from us.

DavidFirth

God loves everyone, even the wicked.

From Matthew 5, the Sermon on the Mount:

43“You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbori and hate your enemy.’ 44But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

uns4

I believe God's love is unconditional, and also that Hell doesn't exist, or at least isn't eternal.

After judgement I believe that the people who would be sent to Hell would only be there a temporary amount of time, like a time-out.

If God loves us he wouldn't want to be apart from us for all eternity.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
humbly repent
turn towards Him

God loves us conditionally, of course. His wrath abides on unbelievers, not His love, in the coming judgment.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
If God didn't love something, it wouldn't exist. He is the foundation of all being and His love is His creative power. So His love is without condition.