• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is God's covenant with the Children of Israel over and done? Or is it eternal?

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Hi Robin, my friend.

As you requested, I have chosen three topics. I hope you will find them suitable. They are important to me, at least. If you want to subsitute a topic, we can do that -- I don't mind switching. I simply enjoy the gentle debating with you.

Once again, for any Christian tuning in, my intent here is not to convert or undermine your faith. This is an exercise of iron sharpening iron.

You asked me if I were a Jew -- you were worried that you had jumped to the wrong conclusion. Yes, I am a Jew who practices Judaism. I don't identify as Reform or Conservative or Orthodox. I'm just a regular Jew, and I feel at home in any synagogue--they all have their gifts For most of my life I was not observant, but in my 40's I became deeply involved with Orthodox Judaism. It has changed me to my very core. I now attend a Reform Temple, which is much more tolerant of my scholarly studies of comparative religion and psychology, as well as my embrasure of science (especially evolution). But I still keep keep strictly kosher and observe Shabbat to almost complete Orthodox standards -- something the Jews at my temple think is ridiculous so I just keep it to myself. I very much miss the warmth and family of the Shabbat tables... sigh* But the Reform have their own areas at which they excel, and I love them to death. They have a heart for the poor and oppressed of the world. We talk about "Tikkun Olam" -- the repair of the world. Our world is a better place because of Reform Jews. I think I have a special place in my heart for Chabad, because Chabad reaches out non-judgmentally to all Jews, and does charitable works. Just today I was reading how Chabad was flying in kosher food to the flood zones in the Carolinas.

I have never lived in Israel, just Southern California, though it is my dream to go to Israel some day. I am an ardent Zionist, but a Zionist with a conscience. By that I mean that I don't think Israel is lily white; some things are very offensive and need to be fixed. But none of that changes the main point that Israel as a Jewish state has the right to exist as a homeland for the Jewish people.

So tell me a bit about yourself as a Christian. It is obvious that you fall within the Protestant Camp (You obviously aren't Catholic or Eastern Orthodox).

I think something needs to be said about the use of the Bible as a source. We both use the Tanakh (what you would call the Old Testament) so there is no problem in using that as a source. The difficulty arises with the use of the Christian Scriptures. As for what exactly is Christian teaching, they are of course THE source. But for the truth? We simply disagree on their worthiness. You accept them as God's word. To me they are no different than the Vedas or the Book of Mormon. Answering my questions on the priesthood by giving me verses from the book of Hebrews has as much sway as a Muslim would who would answer you from the Quran that Jesus didn't die on the cross. You are, of course, free to do so. But I'm just letting you know that you are spinning your wheels if that's the route you choose to take.

[/quote]I think those goals are laudable but in Christianity there is more to the story. It suggests that your high priests were merely place holder for the eternal high priest (Christ) that would come in the fullness of time. Once he came the covenant with Israel was fulfilled and the old priestly order was no longer necessary. I don't think God turned his back on Israel but I think the covenant of the law was fulfilled....

I did not limit Abraham's covenant to just many descendants but yes the covenant (as it was given at the time) is fulfilled. If you look at the primary purpose of the covenant it is easy to see that it has been fulfilled and replaced by a better covenant. Of course Israel has not always held on to their lands God originally gave them, they ceased to even be a nation for quite a while. His descendants through Isaac have been a blessing to all nations. Again this is a good candidate for the 2 or 3 subjects you could pick to study in depth. I just don't want to make those decisions for you.
[/QUOTE]

If you want to "add on" I'm not here to debate that. My problem is with your willingness to say "God has done away with."

Let's set some ground rules of logic here before we begin.
1. If two things are in opposition they cannot both be right. One must be wrong, which means it cannot be God's word, since God's word cannot contradict itself. Agreed? Yes/No
2. If the part that is wrong is the Christian Scriptures, this poses no threat to Judaism, which never accepted the Christian Scriptures as God's word in the first place. Agreed? Yes/No
3. If the part that is wrong is the Tanakh, this still poses a problem for Christianity, which accepts the Tanakh as God's word. For the Christian, the only agreeable outcome is for there to be no opposition. You can't have, i.e. the Torah saying that incest is sin, and the NT saying that incest is okay (it doesn't, this was just a a hypothetical). Agreed? Yes/No

Let's review what the covenant is. Is there any problem with any of the below representing the covenant?

Genesis 12:2-3
“I will make you into a great nation,
and I will bless you;
I will make your name great,
and you will be a blessing.[a]
I will bless those who bless you,
and whoever curses you I will curse;
and all peoples on earth
will be blessed through you.”
No conditions given

Genesis 15
Offspring as numerous as the stars
The Land from the Nile to the Euphrates
No conditions

Genesis 17
Father of many nations
Kings will come from you
Covenant is EVERLASTING v. 7
The land of Canaan as an everlasting possession

Covenant will go through Isaac
Condition: circumcision

Leviticus 26:4
"If you follow my decrees and are careful to obey my commands, I will send you rain in its season, and the ground will yield its crops and the trees their fruit."

Numbers 25:13
"and it shall be unto him, and to his seed after him, the covenant of an everlasting priesthood"

Now, is there any problem with the following being the proper representation of Christian teaching?

"For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished." Matthew 5:18

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I believe the Covenant with Israel is eternal. In the book of Revelation, Israel continues to be used of God to carry the words of salvation even as in the beginning.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I believe the Covenant with Israel is eternal. In the book of Revelation, Israel continues to be used of God to carry the words of salvation even as in the beginning.
Ditto.

[am I being too wordy?]

Kenny

Premium Member
1. If two things are in opposition they cannot both be right. One must be wrong, which means it cannot be God's word, since God's word cannot contradict itself. Agreed? Yes/No
Yes... however, we must remember that it could just be that one of the interpretations is wrong but God's words still are true.

2. If the part that is wrong is the Christian Scriptures, this poses no threat to Judaism, which never accepted the Christian Scriptures as God's word in the first place. Agreed? Yes/No
Christianity, though not wrong (although many interpretations can be wrong), is never a threat to Judaism IMV.

3. If the part that is wrong is the Tanakh, this still poses a problem for Christianity, which accepts the Tanakh as God's word. For the Christian, the only agreeable outcome is for there to be no opposition. You can't have, i.e. the Torah saying that incest is sin, and the NT saying that incest is okay (it doesn't, this was just a a hypothetical). Agreed? Yes/No
Well... not really. Both can still be right.

For an example... how much of the Law of Moses was enacted in the day of Abraham? Probably not much and yet the promise was given to Abraham. So, again, I think it boils down to interpretation. However, if love is the prevailing factor, I think that much of the disagreements can be ironed out. If understanding is the desired outcome, then all things will work itself out IMO

Jeshurun

Israel of the bible is not a physical location, it is a spiritual thing. The meaning of the word Israel is - Who prevails with God. Those who believe Israel is a physical location are idolaters and read the word according to the letter, which is death as the Apostle Paul tells us.

“How long, O simple ones, will you love being simple? How long will scoffers delight in their scoffing and fools hate knowledge?"

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Thank you, Ken. That sort of Christianity at least seems to me to be more internally consistent.

pearl

I believe the Covenant with Israel is eternal. .

It is Catholic teaching that the Covenant with Abraham is unconditional, absolute, irrevocable and eternal.

The difficulty arises with the use of the Christian Scriptures
"For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished."

Rather ironic it is through many Jewish scholars that we Christians understand that passage.

Kenny

Premium Member
It is Catholic teaching that the Covenant with Abraham is unconditional, absolute, irrevocable and eternal.
It is... as is that it is the Branch of Judah, which is Jewish, that will reign unconditionally, absolutely, irrevocably and eternally. Doesn't affect what I said.

Last edited:

metis

Israel of the bible is not a physical location, it is a spiritual thing.
False as it is used 2520 times in the Tanakh and it mostly refers to the land. Here is just one example: I Samuel 11[3] The elders of Jabesh said to him "Give us seven days respite that we may send messengers through all the territory of Israel".

pearl

It is... as is that it is the Branch of Judah, which is Jewish, that will reign unconditionally, absolutely, irrevocably and eternally. Doesn't affect what I said.

Why would if affect what you said, thought there was agreement between the statements.

Kenny

Premium Member
Why would if affect what you said, thought there was agreement between the statements.
I wasn't sure about what exactly was your application so I was just covering the bases. It could have been taken IMV, as that the previous covenant was then null and void.

Please forgive if I was wrong.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I believe the covenant of grace supersedes the covenant of law. One does not have to work for what one gets for free.

Kenny

Premium Member
I believe the covenant of grace supersedes the covenant of law. One does not have to work for what one gets for free.
But without law, one wouldn't know that they needed grace. I think they work in conjunction... the law being the teacher of the need of grace. But, yes, mercy supersedes judgement, as you said

metis

But without law, one wouldn't know that they needed grace. I think they work in conjunction... the law being the teacher of the need of grace. But, yes, mercy supersedes judgement, as you said
Jewish Law, as found in Torah/Tanakh, was the basis for what we should or should not do that gets reflected in Christianity and Islam. Jesus and Mohammed worked from that general paradigm but with some "alterations", therefore we share more than we differ. However, much like siblings, our disagreements often get the better of us.

Now, who could ever disagree with you is the next question. :shrug:

Kenny

Premium Member
Jewish Law, as found in Torah/Tanakh, was the basis for what we should or should not do that gets reflected in Christianity and Islam. Jesus and Mohammed worked from that general paradigm but with some "alterations", therefore we share more than we differ. However, much like siblings, our disagreements often get the better of us.

Now, who could ever disagree with you is the next question. :shrug:
LOL... did I wish you a great Rosh Hashanah?

I'm a little jealous... you celebrate to days during Rosh Hashanah, then January 1st, Christmas and Three Kings in January... there are benefits of cross pollination! :D

metis

LOL... did I wish you a great Rosh Hashanah?

I'm a little jealous... you celebrate to days during Rosh Hashanah, then January 1st, Christmas and Three Kings in January... there are benefits of cross pollination! :D
You forgot Ramadan-- I cover all the bases!

"Cross pollination"? I think that can get ya into trouble-- or have you already discovered that! :eek:

stanberger

Hi Robin, my friend.

As you requested, I have chosen three topics. I hope you will find them suitable. They are important to me, at least. If you want to subsitute a topic, we can do that -- I don't mind switching. I simply enjoy the gentle debating with you.

Once again, for any Christian tuning in, my intent here is not to convert or undermine your faith. This is an exercise of iron sharpening iron.

You asked me if I were a Jew -- you were worried that you had jumped to the wrong conclusion. Yes, I am a Jew who practices Judaism. I don't identify as Reform or Conservative or Orthodox. I'm just a regular Jew, and I feel at home in any synagogue--they all have their gifts For most of my life I was not observant, but in my 40's I became deeply involved with Orthodox Judaism. It has changed me to my very core. I now attend a Reform Temple, which is much more tolerant of my scholarly studies of comparative religion and psychology, as well as my embrasure of science (especially evolution). But I still keep keep strictly kosher and observe Shabbat to almost complete Orthodox standards -- something the Jews at my temple think is ridiculous so I just keep it to myself. I very much miss the warmth and family of the Shabbat tables... sigh* But the Reform have their own areas at which they excel, and I love them to death. They have a heart for the poor and oppressed of the world. We talk about "Tikkun Olam" -- the repair of the world. Our world is a better place because of Reform Jews. I think I have a special place in my heart for Chabad, because Chabad reaches out non-judgmentally to all Jews, and does charitable works. Just today I was reading how Chabad was flying in kosher food to the flood zones in the Carolinas.

I have never lived in Israel, just Southern California, though it is my dream to go to Israel some day. I am an ardent Zionist, but a Zionist with a conscience. By that I mean that I don't think Israel is lily white; some things are very offensive and need to be fixed. But none of that changes the main point that Israel as a Jewish state has the right to exist as a homeland for the Jewish people.

So tell me a bit about yourself as a Christian. It is obvious that you fall within the Protestant Camp (You obviously aren't Catholic or Eastern Orthodox).

I think something needs to be said about the use of the Bible as a source. We both use the Tanakh (what you would call the Old Testament) so there is no problem in using that as a source. The difficulty arises with the use of the Christian Scriptures. As for what exactly is Christian teaching, they are of course THE source. But for the truth? We simply disagree on their worthiness. You accept them as God's word. To me they are no different than the Vedas or the Book of Mormon. Answering my questions on the priesthood by giving me verses from the book of Hebrews has as much sway as a Muslim would who would answer you from the Quran that Jesus didn't die on the cross. You are, of course, free to do so. But I'm just letting you know that you are spinning your wheels if that's the route you choose to take.
I think those goals are laudable but in Christianity there is more to the story. It suggests that your high priests were merely place holder for the eternal high priest (Christ) that would come in the fullness of time. Once he came the covenant with Israel was fulfilled and the old priestly order was no longer necessary. I don't think God turned his back on Israel but I think the covenant of the law was fulfilled....

I did not limit Abraham's covenant to just many descendants but yes the covenant (as it was given at the time) is fulfilled. If you look at the primary purpose of the covenant it is easy to see that it has been fulfilled and replaced by a better covenant. Of course Israel has not always held on to their lands God originally gave them, they ceased to even be a nation for quite a while. His descendants through Isaac have been a blessing to all nations. Again this is a good candidate for the 2 or 3 subjects you could pick to study in depth. I just don't want to make those decisions for you.
[/QUOTE]

If you want to "add on" I'm not here to debate that. My problem is with your willingness to say "God has done away with."

Let's review what the covenant is. Is there any problem with any of the below representing the covenant?

Genesis 12:2-3
“I will make you into a great nation,
and I will bless you;
I will make your name great,
and you will be a blessing.[a]
I will bless those who bless you,
and whoever curses you I will curse;
and all peoples on earth
will be blessed through you.”
No conditions given

Genesis 15
Offspring as numerous as the stars
The Land from the Nile to the Euphrates
No conditions

Genesis 17
Father of many nations
Kings will come from you
Covenant is EVERLASTING v. 7
The land of Canaan as an everlasting possession

Covenant will go through Isaac
Condition: circumcision

Leviticus 26:4
"If you follow my decrees and are careful to obey my commands, I will send you rain in its season, and the ground will yield its crops and the trees their fruit."

Numbers 25:13
"and it shall be unto him, and to his seed after him, the covenant of an everlasting priesthood"

Now, is there any problem with the following being the proper representation of Christian teaching?

"For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished." Matthew 5:18[/QUOTE]