• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is God to you more of a .....

God to me seems mostly like a...

• Friend

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Father

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Authority

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Myth

Votes: 6 23.1%

• Total voters

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
God is much, much smarter.

How?

Some people are smarter than me (if smart meaning intelligence of a specific topic(s) of expertise) and others have the same compacity and aquisition of wisdom and experience as I do; and I to them.

Do you "feel" god is smarter?

Is it something you personalized from an outside material source?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
How?

Some people are smarter than me (if smart meaning intelligence of a specific topic(s) of expertise) and others have the same compacity and aquisition of wisdom and experience as I do; and I to them.
That is a wonderful sentence!

Do you "feel" god is smarter?
I know God is smarter. I can not prove it.

Is it something you personalized from an outside material source?
I do not understand the question. I know that God leads me better than I can find my way all alone.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
That is a wonderful sentence!

I know God is smarter. I can not prove it.

I do not understand the question. I know that God leads me better than I can find my way all alone.

Thank you. :)

A lot of times, and it's very common, for us to internalize feelings as facts. For example, when a person looks at us crossly after we accidently nudged him we may think 1. Did we do something wrong or maybe 2. He is mad at me because he made me feel in X way.

Without asking, we internalize our feelings (good or bad) as knowledge. Psychologically, that isnt correct. So, what you feel isn't always true as in knowledge but what you hope is true as in believe. Very common in humans. Depending on the person one may catch it faster than others.

Since you can "feel" god, how does that translate to knowing (rather than feeling) he is smarter?

How did you translate feeling into knowledge?

When god guides you, if its knowledge by what means did he guide you? Did you "feel" pulled? When you saw an unusual event did you automatically decide it was god based on how you felt?

Feelings are real but not all feelings are correct when using them for knowledge.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Thank you. :)

A lot of times, and it's very common, for us to internalize feelings as facts. For example, when a person looks at us crossly after we accidently nudged him we may think 1. Did we do something wrong or maybe 2. He is mad at me because he made me feel in X way.

Without asking, we internalize our feelings (good or bad) as knowledge. Psychologically, that isnt correct. So, what you feel isn't always true as in knowledge but what you hope is true as in believe. Very common in humans. Depending on the person one may catch it faster than others.

Since you can "feel" god, how does that translate to knowing (rather than feeling) he is smarter?

How did you translate feeling into knowledge?

When god guides you, if its knowledge by what means did he guide you? Did you "feel" pulled? When you saw an unusual event did you automatically decide it was god based on how you felt?

Feelings are real but not all feelings are correct when using them for knowledge.
I think that you are right about most of that. I am not aware of feeling God. Knowing God has and will set out the way for me to go is comforting and better than a human soul can ever do. That is all I know. I don't feel it.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I think that you are right about most of that. I am not aware of feeling God. Knowing God has and will set out the way for me to go is comforting and better than a human soul can ever do. That is all I know. I don't feel it.

I wish I could figure another way to ask it, how do you know?

We know a lot of things are true; but, pretty much 90℅ of them doesnt have a strong and personal impact on our life as religion does.

So, knowledge is one thing but getting to the connection with that knowledge to make it strong I assume goes beyond just knowing?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I wish I could figure another way to ask it, how do you know?

We know a lot of things are true; but, pretty much 90℅ of them doesnt have a strong and personal impact on our life as religion does.

So, knowledge is one thing but getting to the connection with that knowledge to make it strong I assume goes beyond just knowing?
It works is all I know. Just like you know that the sun will shine on your side of the Earth tomorrow, though maybe not on you because you or I might not make it to tomorrow I know whenever I trust in God God will not fail me. So, to trust in God a person must learn God. It is a mind thing and not a feeling thing for me. Though, sometimes I can feel my brain. :D

danieldemol

Premium Member
For me God is metaphorically like a father and literally a friend, albeit a true friend that wants what’s best for me.

TravisW

I personally see God as some of all of those things, yet not them at all.

I see God as having characteristics of a good Father, yet God is much more than a Father. I also see God as non-gendered, and thus God is as much as a Mother as God is a Father.

I view God also as a friend, through the lens of Jesus. As I see God as willing to come to Earth in a physical form so we could grasp, in a metaphor like form, who God was. A friend, in that there is a representation of peace, love and understanding. Yet God would also be much more than a friend in this case.

I can see God as a myth, not in the sense I don’t believe God exists, but that I think God uses myth and metaphors (whether it be through certain religious stories) as a way to communicate who she is. In my view, God transcends our own dimension, and is at a surface level intangible in how we can grasp him.

And God is also an authority, yet also more than an authority and not just an authority. I see God as crafting the laws of nature, science and the mechanics of how our structured, yet beautifully chaotic universe exists. To create such an order, authority would be required, yet we see through elements of chaos and randomness, God lets the universe be free and isn’t meticulously micromanaging it.

Granted, I’d say my theology is fairly fluid right now, so that is how I see God as of today, tomorrow may bring something different and new as I grow.