• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is God three beings in one being according to christians on RF?

Starlight

Spiritual but not religious, new age and omnist
Not according to me, because that is not the Trinity that I know. That sounds like it would be fairly contradictory at first glance to me.
So you believe God is three persons in one being? But it sounds very similar to be honest.

But yes the offical trinity doctrine is three persons in one being. But maybe people Will understand the trinity better if it is explained as" three beings in one being?

Lain

So you believe God is three persons in one being? But it sounds very similar to be honest.

But yes the offical trinity doctrine is three persons in one being. But maybe people Will understand the trinity better if it is explained as" three beings in one being?

I think that the only way to grasp the teaching on the Trinity is to stick religiously to what has been taught and to study the works of the Fathers on it (not in an abusive way like Ham either). In fact I would say that there is Trinitarianism (the teaching received and what the Fathers write on it) and non-Trinitarianism (everything else in the world). If it is explained as "three things are one thing" using the same word it becomes contradictory I think, which the teaching that has been given avoids every affirmation of a contradiction that could be possible by showing the different ways in which oneness is recognized and in which ways threeness is recognized in God, for it is not in the same way at the same time.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Is God three beings in one being according to christians on RF?
I always go back to the makeup of man which was made in His image and in His likeness.

If I were to separate my body from my spirit it would look like two people. They look the same but they are made up of different materiality and for different purposes. In reality we are a three part being and that being we are a spirit, we have a soul and we live in our body.

Three parts, three different materialities with three different purposes but still just one person.

God is still one God. I know that our minds may go a little tilt on this but then again our minds are somewhat puny in comparison. One God manifested in three materialities with different purposes and yet one.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I always go back to the makeup of man which was made in His image and in His likeness.
Like this?

77620_lbesbmlggxp9hut_full.jpeg

PS I can only apologise for all those who thought this funny or risible. :oops:

Last edited:

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Well, I fail to see a Father and a Son in what constitutes myself. A Mother and Daughter, maybe? Not sure about me having a third component, but two out three ain't bad.

If I were to separate my body from my spirit it would look like two people. They look the same but they are made up of different materiality and for different purposes. In reality we are a three part being and that being we are a spirit, we have a soul and we live in our body.

What? How is that three parts? You keep on saying "we". But apart from being a spirit, what you say is
1) possession: we have a soul
2) location: we live in our body

Hardly a non-circular definition of why "we" are triune.

God is still one God. I know that our minds may go a little tilt on this but then again our minds are somewhat puny in comparison. One God manifested in three materialities with different purposes and yet one.
Well, if theists are ready to accept a Universe which is 6,000 years old, that wafers can literally turn into the body of a two thousand years God if you are male, dress funny and whisper some latin words, that women originated from a rib, and all that, then the trinity is a piece of cake, in comparison.

Ciao

- viole

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I think that the only way to grasp the teaching on the Trinity is to stick religiously to what has been taught and to study the works of the Fathers on it (not in an abusive way like Ham either). In fact I would say that there is Trinitarianism (the teaching received and what the Fathers write on it) and non-Trinitarianism (everything else in the world). If it is explained as "three things are one thing" using the same word it becomes contradictory I think, which the teaching that has been given avoids every affirmation of a contradiction that could be possible by showing the different ways in which oneness is recognized and in which ways threeness is recognized in God, for it is not in the same way at the same time.

It is described as three persons, not things, as One God, which is indeed Tritheism a form of polytheism including an incarnate Son seated on the right hand of the Father in heaven.

Starlight

Three parts, three different materialities with three different purposes but still just one person.

That was a good explanation of the trinity

Lain

It is described as three persons, not things, as One God, which is indeed Tritheism a form of polytheism including an incarnate Son seated on the right hand of the Father in heaven.

The One God is the Father. The Monarchy is why there is not tritheism/polytheism. This is why the Creed says "I believe in One God, the Father..."

Starlight

The One God is the Father. The Monarchy is why there is not tritheism/polytheism. This is why the Creed says "I believe in One God, the Father..."
So you do not believe in the trinity? Do you believe only the Father is God?

Starlight

You do have a good point.
The belief that God is three persons in one being is not a contradiction. But the belief that God is three beings in one being is a contradiction yes

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

Not clear, theTrinity is described as three persons in One God including the Father God" Trinity -

Wikipedia

"The Christian doctrine of the Trinity defines God as being one god existing in three coequal, coeternal, consubstantial persons: God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit — three distinct persons sharing one essence. "

What you are describing above is a hierarchy of Gods

Starlight

Not clear, theTrinity is described as three persons in One God including the Father God" Trinity - Wikipedia

The Christian doctrine of the Trinity defines God as being one god existing in three coequal, coeternal, consubstantial persons: God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit — three distinct persons sharing one essence
Yes the offical trinity doctrine is that God is three persons in one being.

Starlight

The trinity is not polytheism. Because the offical trinity doctrine is that God is three persons in one being. So according to the trinity God is only one being.

I do not believe in the trinity. I believe in strict monotheism.

The trinity doctrine is soft monotheism.