• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is God Shy?

God is...

• Too much involved in human life

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Not enough involved and/or totally absent

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • (Something else?)

Votes: 10 83.3%

• Total voters

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist
I'm watching the Korean drama My Shy Boss, and I got me thinking.

In the show, the girl wants to literally ruin her boss because she blames him for her sister's suicide. In the office, because he is aloof, they think he's some scary dude. It doesn't help that he has social avoidance to such an advanced degree that neither the office cleaner nor his own secretary have seen him, nor that his secretary is so frightened of him that when he offers her a meal she says she's already eaten (she collapses from hunger at one point, causing an abuse scandal), and to make matters worse he brings in mysterious sacks the size of humans and has a large collection of knives (he's actually into cooking, but it's a running joke of the series that he's a psychopath). What causes all of this misunderstanding is that he's actually paralyzed socially, and has extreme stage fright. That and his "best friend" initially seems to be covering for him, but then explains to literally nobody working there that the boss is simply shy.

Likewise, I heard in another thread someone say they don't like God much, because he seems like a tyrant. But does God actually do too much? Or is the real problem that:
  1. He/She has a scary image
  2. God doesn't communicate well and as a result seems to be angry all the time
  3. And God actually has too little contact with humans, bordering on neglect
  4. That we don't typically see God, so we come up with all sorts of theories
  5. He even has a second-in-command (Satan) who doesn't bother to explain if this is the case

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Not so much the OP but the thread title reminded me of this discourse:

God is Shy of Strangers

God exists. If you are convinced of God's existence then it rests with you to seek Him, to see Him and to realize Him.

Do not search for God outside of you. God can only be found within you, for His only abode is the heart.

But you have filled His abode with millions of strangers and He cannot enter, for He is shy of strangers. Unless you empty His abode of these millions of strangers you have filled it with, you will never find God.

These strangers are your age-old desires—your millions of wants. They are strangers to God because want is an expression of incompleteness and is fundamentally foreign to Him who is All-sufficient and wanting in nothing. Honesty in your dealings with others will clear the strangers out of your heart.

Then you will find Him, see Him and realize Him.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

In the show, the girl wants to literally ruin her boss because she blames him for her sister's suicide. In the office, because he is aloof, they think he's some scary dude. It doesn't help that he has social avoidance to such an advanced degree that neither the office cleaner nor his own secretary have seen him, nor that his secretary is so frightened of him that when he offers her a meal she says she's already eaten (she collapses from hunger at one point, causing an abuse scandal), and to make matters worse he brings in mysterious sacks the size of humans and has a large collection of knives (he's actually into cooking, but it's a running joke of the series that he's a psychopath). What causes all of this misunderstanding is that he's actually paralyzed socially, and has extreme stage fright. That and his "best friend" initially seems to be covering for him, but then explains to literally nobody working there that the boss is simply shy.

Likewise, I heard in another thread someone say they don't like God much, because he seems like a tyrant. But does God actually do too much? Or is the real problem that:
  5. He even has a second-in-command (Satan) who doesn't bother to explain if this is the case
I did not pick any of the poll Choice but my understanding is that people have become deaf when it comes to hearing spiritual beings

Nimos

Human must cultivate the mind to be able to hear a god, not the other way
Ahh yeah forgot that it always us that is the issue :p

tenor.gif

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

Interesting list I believe reflects a very real ancient human view of God or Gods, which does not reflect what God . Many ancient religions share these issues of the human view of God.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I'm perfectly satisfied with the extent to which God is involved in my life:

Not too much and not too little

Muffled

Jesus in me

1. I believe God is a terror for those who love evil. For those who love good God is comforting.

2. I believe God tends to speak in ways that would help get a person's attention. It doesn't help to say things if people aren't willing to listen. I find when I am willing to listen God is getting right to he point in a clear manner.

3. God is always available but many people have trouble hearing Him which is why He speaks through the Paraclete whom you can hear.

4. God is available in the Bible so there is no need to invent theories.

5. I believe Satan is no longer second in command.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I would say the most simple and ellegant solution to the problem is that there is no such thing as a benevolent and all powerful god in our universe.

I believe that works as well as believing all ones problems will go away if one just closes his eyes.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I am amused that you think you are in control. God communicates when He wants to.

It's biblical. You can tune out whoever you want to tune out :) My children proved it when I was talking and they weren't listening. :D

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Something else. Hindus for the most part don’t believe God (whichever form we personally worship) or the gods meddle or interfere in our lives. If they see something is amiss, or we call on them for aid, they usually respond in some way. In the Puranas, the “mythologies”, though I dislike that word, the gods would go to Lord Vishnu who is the protector and preserver of universal order to make things right. But largely, the gods leave us alone... they trust us. :D

Bird123

Let's look at an Action of God. God does not just give us all the answers. Wisdom is acquired on the journey to Discover those answers.

Religion is mankind's attempt to Discover and Understand God. Since religion has yet to Discover and Understand the Real Truth, religion is spreading their Beliefs.

Perhaps the biggest problem is that religion is corrupting the minds of people. Example: Even you have been corrupted when you mention Satan. Satan does not exist.

Anytime one values Beliefs over Truth, the picture of Reality is no longer viable. One will never know God memorizing a box of beliefs. If you really want to Discover God, it will be much more work than merely accepting that box of other's beliefs.

Once again, wisdom is acquired on the journey to Discovery. Question is. How many are really working at Discovery? If one does not, can one really care what those beliefs of others are? They are not true anyway.

Why doesn't God just give us all those answers? Simple, God wants His children to acquire Wisdom.

That's what I see. It's very clear!!

PearlSeeker

It's like that song - I Want You to Want Me.

St. Augustine in Exposition on Psalm 42:
“I thought on these things, and poured out my soul above myself” When would my soul attain to that object of its search, which is “above my soul,” if my soul were not to “pour itself out above itself”? For were it to rest in itself, it would not see anything else beyond itself; and in seeing itself, would not, for all that, see God. Let then my insulting enemies now say, “Where is thy God?” aye, let them say it! I, so long as I do not “see,” so long as my happiness is postponed, make my tears my “bread day and night.” Let thems till say, “Where is thy God?” I seek my God in every corporeal nature, terrestrial or celestial, and find Him not: I seek His Substance in my own soul, and I find it not, yet still I have thought on these things, and wishing to “see the invisible things of my God, being understood by the things made,” I have poured forth my soul above myself, and there remains no longer any being for me to attain to, save my God. For it is “there” is the “house of my God.” His dwelling-place is above my soul; from thence He beholds me; from thence He created me; from thence He directs me and provides for me; from thence he appeals to me, and calls me, and directs me; leads me in the way, and to the end of my way…​