• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is God really who the Bible and The Church say he is?

Zita

Solitary Eclectic Witch
This has always been a struggle for me,but I never told anyone how I felt because I knew to the "Christians" I would be a horrible person to even ask. Seeings I don't believe in the bible, (I I feel it's a fantasy story book) should I believe the idea and description of God coming from the same source?I'm wondering even more since joining here on religious forum and reading subjects that raise a lot of question is any of this real? I have a problem with the fact God just allows all this devastation in the world just go on and on!! If he is so powerful why not stop it? It hit home for me because in 2015 my mother and I were in a fatal car wreak,A lady ran the red light and crashed in to us!! I knew my mom was hurt bad, it was awful; my mom stayed in the hospital in critical condition and then she died. For 12 days I watched my mom on a ventilator and tubes running everywhere and in horrible pain and organs shutting down,I don't even know if she knew her loved ones was there because she was unresponsive the whole time, my mom really suffered, and she was one of those Christians who believed in the bible and lived according to it, she was a wonderful woman always treated everyone with respect,helped anyone she could,a loving and great mom,understanding!!!!!really lived by thoses 10 commandments she was just a wonderful beautiful light in this world, she worshiped God whole heartily !!! and what thanks or appreciation did she get out of honoring and trusting God all her life ? A horrible ending to her life!! Couldn't he have stopped the wreak, or not allow her to get hurt? He could have done something since everyone says He can do anything, that he blesses us, and yea I know some say it was her time, OK then why not let her die peacefully in her sleep, or in a way that she didn't suffer? I am confused here!!! and I am sure there are thousands of other people with stories similar like mine!!! Look at the channel on Investigation discovery it's full of non- deserving people dying everyday by the hands of people who have no regard for human life or/and God either!! and most live on, yea maybe in jail but they live!! WHY?Does it seem right? Nope not at all.What about all these deformed children that are being born some never even knowing they exist!! or being born blind, deaf etc. or allowing someone to lose their sight or hearing or ability to walk, I could go on and on, if he is such a powerful.loving God then why? please tell me why so much misery in this world?. I'm not even saying there isn't a God , I'm saying maybe he's just not what they proclaim he is!!! I have always believe in the God that was taught to me but felt it was more to existence then what I knew about because of religious beliefs I feel I am justified in believing that there is a higher power out here! "God"maybe what most call it, but I live each day working in the spirit of knowing what is right and wrong to live in love and peace and for the good of other people,to strive to be a beautiful person in this world and continue to grow and to be in-tune with my higher power , my higher self ,to only live in love in this Universe and enjoy all the blessings it can offer me to be happy,loved,successful,appreciated and to help those I can physically,mentally and spiritually!!Not
because I have to because The all mighty God and his son Jesus, say I should do,or I may die and go to hell! but because I want to spread all the goodness I experience myself,and when this earthly body dies,this soul is coming back to continue to learn even more and do even bigger and better things then before.Yea, I know a lot don't believe in reincarnation!! but once again, I am confused; if you can believe all the stuff you do, dealing with the bible!! then why not believe that it maybe it is possible?Oh that's right, I forgot," Cause God" says it is Heaven or Hell for you after you die and you know what? That is your right !!to believe as you want .At the end of the day that's all that really matters.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I live each day working in the spirit of knowing what is right and wrong to live in love and peace and for the good of other people,to strive to be a beautiful person in this world and continue to grow and to be in-tune with my higher power

That I see as the most important thing to focus on.

Sky Rivers

This has always been a struggle for me,but I never told anyone how I felt because I knew to the "Christians" I would be a horrible person to even ask. Seeings I don't believe in the bible, (I I feel it's a fantasy story book) should I believe the idea and description of God coming from the same source?I'm wondering even more since joining here on religious forum and reading subjects that raise a lot of question is any of this real? I have a problem with the fact God just allows all this devastation in the world just go on and on!! If he is so powerful why not stop it? It hit home for me because in 2015 my mother and I were in a fatal car wreak,A lady ran the red light and crashed in to us!! I knew my mom was hurt bad, it was awful; my mom stayed in the hospital in critical condition and then she died. For 12 days I watched my mom on a ventilator and tubes running everywhere and in horrible pain and organs shutting down,I don't even know if she knew her loved ones was there because she was unresponsive the whole time, my mom really suffered, and she was one of those Christians who believed in the bible and lived according to it, she was a wonderful woman always treated everyone with respect,helped anyone she could,a loving and great mom,understanding!!!!!really lived by thoses 10 commandments she was just a wonderful beautiful light in this world, she worshiped God whole heartily !!! and what thanks or appreciation did she get out of honoring and trusting God all her life ? A horrible ending to her life!! Couldn't he have stopped the wreak, or not allow her to get hurt? He could have done something since everyone says He can do anything, that he blesses us, and yea I know some say it was her time, OK then why not let her die peacefully in her sleep, or in a way that she didn't suffer? I am confused here!!! and I am sure there are thousands of other people with stories similar like mine!!! Look at the channel on Investigation discovery it's full of non- deserving people dying everyday by the hands of people who have no regard for human life or/and God either!! and most live on, yea maybe in jail but they live!! WHY?Does it seem right? Nope not at all.What about all these deformed children that are being born some never even knowing they exist!! or being born blind, deaf etc. or allowing someone to lose their sight or hearing or ability to walk, I could go on and on, if he is such a powerful.loving God then why? please tell me why so much misery in this world?. I'm not even saying there isn't a God , I'm saying maybe he's just not what they proclaim he is!!! I have always believe in the God that was taught to me but felt it was more to existence then what I knew about because of religious beliefs I feel I am justified in believing that there is a higher power out here! "God"maybe what most call it, but I live each day working in the spirit of knowing what is right and wrong to live in love and peace and for the good of other people,to strive to be a beautiful person in this world and continue to grow and to be in-tune with my higher power , my higher self ,to only live in love in this Universe and enjoy all the blessings it can offer me to be happy,loved,successful,appreciated and to help those I can physically,mentally and spiritually!!Not
because I have to because The all mighty God and his son Jesus, say I should do,or I may die and go to hell! but because I want to spread all the goodness I experience myself,and when this earthly body dies,this soul is coming back to continue to learn even more and do even bigger and better things then before.Yea, I know a lot don't believe in reincarnation!! but once again, I am confused; if you can believe all the stuff you do, dealing with the bible!! then why not believe that it maybe it is possible?Oh that's right, I forgot," Cause God" says it is Heaven or Hell for you after you die and you know what? That is your right !!to believe as you want .At the end of the day that's all that really matters.
Sorry to hear of your mother.

1) We live in a fallen world. Disease, death, sadism? It's part of that world.
However, it rains on the just and unjust alike.

2) "Going to Heaven" isn't Biblical doctrine.

3) Hell is "Sheol", the underworld.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
The God or the unnamed 'Source' of Christianity, Judaism, Islam, the many diverse religions of the world is not the 'Source,' but the cultural human view of the 'Source' some called God(s). There is no absolute understanding from the human perspective of the 'Source.' Even the Baha'i Faith does not consider the 'Source' knowable nor definable. We know God through the attributes of God and the attributes of our physical existence, and not from any one cultural perspective of the many religions.

Cleary

God is sovereign and in control <><
Well, I can't speak for 'the church' < that can go all over the place.
the Bible ? < indeed is your foundation for what you need to know

I would suggest a great teaching

... enjoy

... please tell me why so much misery in this world?....

It is difficult to say why all thing happen. But I have understood that people were expelled to this first death, because they wanted to know evil. Here we have chance to really know what evil means (lack of good). Luckily this is meant to be only a short lesson and after this all who are righteous can have eternal life with God, without evil.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

In Biblical point of view human has body and soul. Body is like a dwelling for the soul. It can be compared to Matrix, if you have seen the movie. This life is like the Matrix. We are here to experience things through our body, while the soul is in safe and can’t be destroyed by anything of this world. I think that is the reason why Bible tells we should not fear anything of this world.

And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
Matt. 10:28

He said to his disciples, "Therefore I tell you, don't be anxious for your life, what you will eat, nor yet for your body, what you will wear. Life is more than food, and the body is more than clothing. Consider the ravens: they don't sow, they don't reap, they have no warehouse or barn, and God feeds them. How much more valuable are you than birds! Which of you by being anxious can add a cubit to his height? If then you aren't able to do even the least things, why are you anxious about the rest? Consider the lilies, how they grow. They don't toil, neither do they spin; yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. But if this is how God clothes the grass in the field, which today exists, and tomorrow is cast into the oven, how much more will he clothe you, O you of little faith? Don't seek what you will eat or what you will drink; neither be anxious. For the nations of the world seek after all of these things, but your Father knows that you need these things. But seek God's Kingdom, and all these things will be added to you.

Luke 12:22-31

In Biblical point of view, we should not worry about earthly things, because they are not even meant to last forever. There is higher level of existence, which is the thing that is meant to last. But still, I understand that suffering is not nice. And I hope people could avoid it. However, Bible doesn’t promise painless time in this first death. Even Jesus suffered here. Often it seems that many good people are tortured and teased. This reminds me also of Job, who suffered much. There can be many reasons for suffering. And probably none of them are good when in pain. I think crucial thing is what person makes out of unpleasant situations. All good or evil can be turned for bad or good, depending on how person wants to use the situation. And perhaps that is one reason for all this, that we can show our nature. Show how we deal with different things. And if we show righteousness, then we can get the eternal life.

Cleary

God is sovereign and in control <><

We live in a cursed world ... NOTHING we experience is as God intended it to be
Sin and death will abound until the final day .... there IS a redeemed Earth God has promised
It's what I love about the Bible, the story is not over yet

And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul:
but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. Matt. 10:28
< Amen

.....II Corinthians 1:3-11

Last edited:

dingdao

The eternal Tao cannot be told - Tao Te Ching
Sky Rivers is right, "Going to Heaven" is not doctrine... "Bodily Resurrection" is doctrine.

It's time to go Pauline
2 Corinthians 4:18 [W]e look not at what can be seen but at what cannot be seen; for what can be seen is temporary, but what cannot be seen is eternal.

dingdao

Here's another quote for you.

2 Corinthians 5:8
Yes, we do have confidence, and we would rather be away from the body and at home with the Lord.

Zita

Solitary Eclectic Witch
Sorry to hear of your mother.

1) We live in a fallen world. Disease, death, sadism? It's part of that world.
However, it rains on the just and unjust alike.

2) "Going to Heaven" isn't Biblical doctrine.

3) Hell is "Sheol", the underworld.
First thank you for your condolences .
now this is what I am saying ;Why would a "Creator" allow this reality of a fallen world for his Creations which he loves unconditionally?you say "disease" why would he allow disease against hissomething enter into his holy temple like that?If he wants us to have a good life why allo you say "sadism"; "The word" says we are made in his image,so doesn't,that mean a part of him is also a sadist?right?and last but not least Why "Create" bodily life only to one day take it away on earth by falling to a "death",causing great pain and sorrow for the love ones that is left behind. You said going to heaven isn't bible doctrine well
I don't claim to be a expert on the bible at all, but I thought it is in the bible that upon judgement day you will be cast to heaven or hell?Isn't that Biblical doctrine?

We live in a cursed world ... NOTHING we experience is as God intended it to be
Sin and death will abound until the final day .... there IS a redeemed Earth God has promised
It's what I love about the Bible, the story is not over yet

And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul:
but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. Matt. 10:28
< Amen

.....II Corinthians 1:3-11
[/QUOTE

Just like I said if this is God with all you quoted, it has proven my point.
Sky Rivers is right, "Going to Heaven" is not doctrine... "Bodily Resurrection" is doctrine.

It's time to go Pauline
2 Corinthians 4:18 [W]e look not at what can be seen but at what cannot be seen; for what can be seen is temporary, but what cannot be seen is eternal.
It is difficult to say why all thing happen. But I have understood that people were expelled to this first death, because they wanted to know evil. Here we have chance to really know what evil means (lack of good). Luckily this is meant to be only a short lesson and after this all who are righteous can have eternal life with God, without evil.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

In Biblical point of view human has body and soul. Body is like a dwelling for the soul. It can be compared to Matrix, if you have seen the movie. This life is like the Matrix. We are here to experience things through our body, while the soul is in safe and can’t be destroyed by anything of this world. I think that is the reason why Bible tells we should not fear anything of this world.

And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
Matt. 10:28

He said to his disciples, "Therefore I tell you, don't be anxious for your life, what you will eat, nor yet for your body, what you will wear. Life is more than food, and the body is more than clothing. Consider the ravens: they don't sow, they don't reap, they have no warehouse or barn, and God feeds them. How much more valuable are you than birds! Which of you by being anxious can add a cubit to his height? If then you aren't able to do even the least things, why are you anxious about the rest? Consider the lilies, how they grow. They don't toil, neither do they spin; yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. But if this is how God clothes the grass in the field, which today exists, and tomorrow is cast into the oven, how much more will he clothe you, O you of little faith? Don't seek what you will eat or what you will drink; neither be anxious. For the nations of the world seek after all of these things, but your Father knows that you need these things. But seek God's Kingdom, and all these things will be added to you.

Luke 12:22-31

In Biblical point of view, we should not worry about earthly things, because they are not even meant to last forever. There is higher level of existence, which is the thing that is meant to last. But still, I understand that suffering is not nice. And I hope people could avoid it. However, Bible doesn’t promise painless time in this first death. Even Jesus suffered here. Often it seems that many good people are tortured and teased. This reminds me also of Job, who suffered much. There can be many reasons for suffering. And probably none of them are good when in pain. I think crucial thing is what person makes out of unpleasant situations. All good or evil can be turned for bad or good, depending on how person wants to use the situation. And perhaps that is one reason for all this, that we can show our nature. Show how we deal with different things. And if we show righteousness, then we can get the eternal life.[/QUOTE
Okay more scriptures that you are only reading and assuming it's so. I don't know if you realize it but you proved what I was saying, If this was a all loving God these things would not be a part this world.

Zita

Solitary Eclectic Witch
First thank you for your condolences .
now this is what I am saying ;Why would a "Creator" allow this reality of a fallen world for his Creations which he loves unconditionally?you say "disease" why would he allow disease against hissomething enter into his holy temple like that?If he wants us to have a good life why allo you say "sadism"; "The word" says we are made in his image,so doesn't,that mean a part of him is also a sadist?right?and last but not least Why "Create" bodily life only to one day take it away on earth by falling to a "death",causing great pain and sorrow for the love ones that is left behind. You said going to heaven isn't bible doctrine well
I don't claim to be a expert on the bible at all, but I thought it is in the bible that upon judgement day you will be cast to heaven or hell?Isn't that Biblical doctrine?
Here's another quote for you.

2 Corinthians 5:8
Yes, we do have confidence, and we would rather be away from the body and at home with the Lord.[/QUOTE
oh boy more scriptures, they are what had me thinking as I do.Everything points to His is not all you say, if he was this world wouldn't be a mess.

Zita

Solitary Eclectic Witch
That I see as the most important thing to focus on.
Well thank goodness, Thanks for not giving me all those scriptures,and sticking to something that makes since!! all we can prove is our life,not words in a book.

Zita

Solitary Eclectic Witch
Well, I can't speak for 'the church' < that can go all over the place.
the Bible ? < indeed is your foundation for what you need to know

I would suggest a great teaching

... enjoy

Thanks but no thanks the great teaching reading about what it says in the bible is what has me feeling as I do.

Zita

Solitary Eclectic Witch

It's time to go Pauline
OK Bodily resurrection is doctrine, going to heaven is Biblical.Is that better.

dingdao

OK Bodily resurrection is doctrine, going to heaven is Biblical.Is that better.
That's the best I can do to console your grief. I lost my wife in January. The process is never over.