• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is God Real?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
"What is real? How do you define 'real'? If you're talking about what you can feel, what you can smell, what you can taste and see, then 'real' is simply electrical signals interpreted by your brain." ~ Lana Wachowski (Morpheus)

If what is real is indeed simply electrical signals interpreted by the brain, how can either an atheist or theist argue the existence or non-existence of any god?

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
If what is real is indeed simply electrical signals interpreted by the brain, how can either an atheist or theist argue the existence or non-existence of any god?

This is why I don't anymore.

Edit: I have my views, they can have theirs.

Last edited:

lukethethird

unknown member
"What is real? How do you define 'real'? If you're talking about what you can feel, what you can smell, what you can taste and see, then 'real' is simply electrical signals interpreted by your brain." ~ Lana Wachowski (Morpheus)

It's not possible to determine if invisible exists or does not exist, it's just a silly pointless argument.

We Never Know

No Slack
This is why I don't anymore.

Edit: I have my views, they can have theirs.

I never did argue about it. I see it as pointless.
If something cannot be proven or disproven, even by science, yet some believe it and some don't.. The whole arguement is based on belief even though some claim they lack belief.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

I believe God is real, but probably different than what others believe God to be.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member

For me, that which is real is what can clearly be perceived through the senses or deduced from reason or logic. Through such means the evidence of God's existence can neither be definitively proved nor disproved IMHO.

In my experience, often life choices are made by intuition or something just 'feels' right. I believe in the God of Abraham because His existence feels intuitively right. Such an approach will neither satisfy the militant atheist nor the most committed religious fundamentalist.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

I watched The Matrix not knowing what it was or how big it would be. It was 1999. One day I was very upset, because I was experiencing religious upheaval and some confusion. I think at that time I was moving from trinitarian to non. I decided I'd break taboo and go see an R movie. The Matrix was playing, and it looked like an action film. I saw it with no previews or any clue what it would be. Blew me away. Totally identified with the man escaping from the matrix, and I got other people to go see the film. Serendipity.

I thought the Zion rave was really weird, by the way. Probably I was weird and not the rave, but to me it was the most pointless part of the film at that time. I get now why they put the rave in, but at the time I just thought it was a blotch on the film.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I thought the Zion rave was really weird, by the way. Probably I was weird and not the rave, but to me it was the most pointless part of the film at that time. I get now why they put the rave in, but at the time I just thought it was a blotch on the film.
That was in the Matrix Reloaded, from 2003. Not the first Matrix movie, from 1999. I saw the Matrix in theaters when I was 9.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
That was in the Matrix Reloaded, from 2003. Not the first Matrix movie, from 1999. I saw the Matrix in theaters when I was 9.
You're right, but I did see the 1999 one then. When I saw the rave in 03 I think I wrote it off as an odd taste and didn't see the purpose of it.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
If what is real is indeed simply

If what is real is NOT simply...

“A Golden Compass” by Hafiz ("rendered" by Dan Ladinsky)

Forget every idea of right and wrong
any classroom ever taught you

Because
an empty heart, a tormented mind,
Unkindness, jealousy and fear

are always the testimony
you have been completely fooled!

Turn your back on those
who would imprison your wondrous spirit
with deceit and lies.

Come, join the honest company
of the King’s beggars –
those gamblers, scoundrels and divine clowns
and those astonishing fair courtesans
who need Divine Love every night.

Come, join the courageous
who have no choice
but to bet their entire world
that indeed,
indeed, God is Real.

I will lead you into the circle
of the Beloved’s cunning thieves,
those playful royal rogues–
the ones you can trust for true guidance–
who can aid you
In this blessed calamity of life.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Of course, what others believe God to be are false.
Why? How could I be the only one who understand what God is? To be very honest:) my current understanding of God is on a very limited level. But I do not see God as a man in the cloud.

God in my understanding arise from within us, as level of wisdom.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Probably I was weird and not the rave, but to me it was the most pointless part of the film at that time. I get now why they put the rave in, but at the time

No I say they should have kept that out, I turn it down and away when that comes on.

But hey another one is just about to open, that's great.

Regards Tony

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Why? How could I be the only one who understand what God is? To be very honest:) my current understanding of God is on a very limited level. But I do not see God as a man in the cloud.

God in my understanding arise from within us, as level of wisdom.

Let me show you a neat trick.
For the word abstract, one meaning is: existing in thought or as an idea but not having a physical or concrete existence.
So for some of the realists, they use a trick: Only that having a physical or concrete existence is real and everything else is false.
The joke is that this sentence of its reference only exist as a thought or an idea. The sentence is an abstract itself.

So there is a lot of words, which are abstracts including not just God, but evidence, truth, reason, logic, rational and the real world are also abstracts.

RestlessSoul

Yes, God is real. God is the Great Reality, the universal creative force of which all things are manifestations.

As for the senses, we use those for looking out at the world. Most people find God by looking inwards.

The Kingdom of God cometh not with observation:
Nor shall they say, Lo here! or lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.

Luke 17:20-21

Reactions: DNB

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Yes, God is real. God is the Great Reality, the universal creative force of which all things are manifestations.

As for the senses, we use those for looking out at the world. Most people find God by looking inwards.

The Kingdom of God cometh not with observation:
Nor shall they say, Lo here! or lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.

Luke 17:20-21

Yeah, now to me, that is one sense different because I am an atheist, but in another, yes. Pease is a state of mind in me.

RestlessSoul

Yeah, now to me, that is one sense different because I am an atheist, but in another, yes. Pease is a state of mind in me.

May you dwell in that peace today then, brother

49C60C96-F380-4CE2-860A-FE972D36003B.jpeg