• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is God real?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
The real question is are we real? I say yes, because we are in God's "mind". I like to think that we're all just "figments" of God's imagination, except when God conceives something, it's actually real.
Well, granted you may "like to think that," but is there one single, solitary, tiny piece of evidence that you might provide to suggest that it is more true that God is imagining us all (which makes you 100% unreal and 100% without any control over anything whatsoever), than that things might actually be pretty much how they seem?

After all, in your scenario, you didn't originate your own thought, and I'm not originating my response to it. In other words, neither you nor I is anything at all, and worth, one must assume, even less. Enjoy that, if it makes you feel good.

Coder

:smiley:

Hi,

but is there one single, solitary, tiny piece of evidence
Evidence? What evidence do we have of anything? Even our perceptions of the world around us come through our senses and in our minds. Not to mention that physics has shown that what we perceive is just an approximation of reality (and a bad one at that). Time is just a dimension with space and it expands and contracts with speed, molecules/atoms are mostly empty matter/space and no one really knows what it is - we just put names on it - electron, photon....

The only "evidence" there is, is that God exists, and not a thing makes sense at all otherwise. God is in our "head"? Everything else is in our head (so I "agree" with you there) and God is the one reality that doesn't depend on anything else.

By the way, I'm not a "Traditional" Christian so I'm not going to quote Bible verses, etc. I'm just saying as a "human", it's obvious that God exists, otherwise there would be no existence.

:smile:

Last edited:

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
:smiley:

Hi,

Evidence? What evidence do we have of anything? Even our perceptions of the world around us come through our senses and in our minds. Not to mention that physics has shown that what we perceive is just an approximation of reality (and a bad one at that). Time is just a dimension with space and it expands and contracts with speed, molecules/atoms are mostly empty matter/space and no one really knows what it is - we just put names on it - electron, photon....

The only "evidence" there is, is that God exists, and not a thing makes sense at all otherwise. God is in our "head"? Everything else is in our head (so I "agree" with you there) and God is the one reality that doesn't depend on anything else.

By the way, I'm not a "Traditional" Christian so I'm not going to quote Bible verses, etc. I'm just saying as a "human", it's obvious that God exists, otherwise there would be no existence.

:smile:
Then are you saying that I'm not a human, since none of that makes any sense to me?

Look, even your use of the word "senses" says that something is going on. Both the bee and I see the flower, but we do not see it in the same way. We both have uses for the flower, however, so the one thing upon which the bee and I agree is that there is in fact a flower. And based on that reality, we both behave according to our separate natures.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Hi,

Ohhh, you expected me to make sense! That costs extra. :smile:

You and the bee both voting that the flower is there doesn't prove it. God is why you and the bee and all exists.
Well, if you feel good about actually possessing no "being" at all, I'm sure that's lovely. Because as you describe it, nothing exists, all is just a movie playing in, and controlled by, another mind. In fact, you don't even possess a mind -- your argument isn't even being made by you. Nor mine. According to you, this is just God playing a little game of "one against the other" in his own mind.

Frankly, I think that's entirely bogus, and will continue to live my life as if it were actually my life.

A Vestigial Mote

Well, the producer gives us freedom to decide what part we want to play.
Always an excuse at the ready... the hallmark of the religious.

Seriously though, have you ever noticed that someone speaking/writing from a religious point of view always has to turn to analogy or metaphor? Never anything more concrete, realistic or rational. "The producer", "what part we want to play". It's all just specious nonsense.

GodsVoice

God and His voice are very similar to the AI and voice technology that Apple, Microsoft, IBM, and Google have built with human hands according to the Beast that teaches man how to build things that start our in their Minds as images, shapes, musical notes, words, etc.

cosmogenes

observer
If you don't believe in the God of the Bible or are unsure about what you believe concerning religion, please feel free to let me know any questions you have and I would love to dialogue with you. All conversation will be conducted in a polite, respectful manner.
"God" is nothing tangible, but, as Abdul Baha said, is one of the "Intellectual things are those which have no outward existence but are conceptions of the mind." There are billions of "god conceptions" and they are all different because the individuals who conceive them are different. But some of those conceptions are loosely combined int religions and theis denominations of sects, as e.g. Trinitarians and Unitarians.

chinu

chinu
If you don't believe in the God of the Bible or are unsure about what you believe concerning religion, please feel free to let me know any questions you have and I would love to dialogue with you. All conversation will be conducted in a polite, respectful manner.
If I have the same question for you, then what would you like to ask me ?
I also guarantee that all conversation will be conducted in a polite, respectful manner :)