• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is God real?

ArtieE

First: As a naturalist, I assume you believe in the theory of evolution. Is that the case? If so, do you believe that all people are equally “developed?” Or are there some people that are “fitter for survival” than others? Are there certain groups of people that show more development than others? How can you avoid the issue of racism if you view evolution as the mechanism by which humans came into being?
"Religious People Tend to Be More Racist, Study Finds" https://mic.com/articles/29397/religious-people-tend-to-be-more-racist-study-finds#.kbPrveti2

"American slave owners, almost all of whom were Christians, felt that they were carrying out God's plan by buying and using slaves."
http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_slav1.htm
Likewise, as a naturalist, how do you view ethics? Is there such a thing as morality?
Morality evolved. In a society certain (moral) behaviors increased the chances of survival of the individuals and the society, certain (immoral) behaviors decreased those chances. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_of_morality

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
And where do you see these attributes? I have seen people loving (and hating), being just and unjust, forgiving and bearing grudges – but I’ve only ever seen people doing those things. I see no love or justice or forgiveness in the earthquake, the hurricane, the poisonous insects and animals that kills thousands including children every year. We know about the droughts that leave people to starve to death, but I don’t see much love or justice in those, either.

Question of the year: if God is spirit and God is love – what on earth need did He have a material universe filled with misery and death? He wants “good souls” for company? Well, could he not have made those directly, and avoided all the suffering – not to mention a universe some several sizes to large for us!

This would be a very, very foolish way for a god to make himself known. It leaves the field completely open to charlatans who pretend they’re one of the chosen ones – and as we can see directly with our own eyes, many of those charlatans have committed horrors upon the world. I would have though God would be smarter than that.

Yes, I mentioned some of those above: earthquakes, hurricanes, poisonous animals and disease. Some “love.”

Now, this is a very silly statement. Order happens naturally all by itself in millions of different ways. Dust clouds coalesce into galaxies, stars and planets under no more direction than the force of gravity. Go to the beach one day, and notice how the sand, sediment and other materials are sorted according to size and weight. This happens for no more reason than waves, and waves are caused by wind, and wind is caused by the differential temperatures arising from sun and shade. No organiser required.

I know, you keep saying things like that. You just conveniently stop one step short. The painting needs a painter. But the painter needs a source, too!

I see it the opposite way. For me there are so many proofs of God that I see it everywhere everyday.

David1967

Premium Member
If you don't believe in the God of the Bible or are unsure about what you believe concerning religion, please feel free to let me know any questions you have and I would love to dialogue with you. All conversation will be conducted in a polite, respectful manner.

Welcome to RF Luke. "Is God real?" I believe so. Can I prove it? No

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Evangelicalhumanist said:
And where do you see these attributes? I have seen people loving (and hating), being just and unjust, forgiving and bearing grudges – but I’ve only ever seen people doing those things. I see no love or justice or forgiveness in the earthquake, the hurricane, the poisonous insects and animals that kills thousands including children every year. We know about the droughts that leave people to starve to death, but I don’t see much love or justice in those, either.

Question of the year: if God is spirit and God is love – what on earth need did He have a material universe filled with misery and death? He wants “good souls” for company? Well, could he not have made those directly, and avoided all the suffering – not to mention a universe some several sizes to large for us!

This would be a very, very foolish way for a god to make himself known. It leaves the field completely open to charlatans who pretend they’re one of the chosen ones – and as we can see directly with our own eyes, many of those charlatans have committed horrors upon the world. I would have though God would be smarter than that.

Yes, I mentioned some of those above: earthquakes, hurricanes, poisonous animals and disease. Some “love.”

Now, this is a very silly statement. Order happens naturally all by itself in millions of different ways. Dust clouds coalesce into galaxies, stars and planets under no more direction than the force of gravity. Go to the beach one day, and notice how the sand, sediment and other materials are sorted according to size and weight. This happens for no more reason than waves, and waves are caused by wind, and wind is caused by the differential temperatures arising from sun and shade. No organiser required.

I know, you keep saying things like that. You just conveniently stop one step short. The painting needs a painter. But the painter needs a source, too!
I see it the opposite way. For me there are so many proofs of God that I see it everywhere everyday.
You know, it drives me crazy that nobody who claims to have such wonderful beliefs will EVER answer the specifics of my questions, but rather brush them off with blanket statements such as yours, pretending that they're honestly and openly dialoging. They're not.

@LukeH, who posts what he calls "Metaphysics" and "Epistemology" (which they are not, by the way) won't answer me either. I wonder why?

But since you've said you just see it opposite to me, tell me -- you've never heard of the tens of thousands of children who starve to death around the world every year, due to no other cause but drought and famine? You've never heard of the 1000 and more babies and their families in Brazil who are going to suffer terrible, terrible lives because of brains ravaged by a virus (that must have been created, because it can't cause itself) that we didn't even know about a couple of years ago?

(By the way, I remember when Christians used to proclaim that "AIDS is a punishment sent by God to those evil homosexuals." So is Zika a punishment sent by God to those who are evil -- even before they're born?)

You see none of this, do you. The Boxing Day tsunami that killed a quarter million people never happened? Babies and children weren't ripped from their parents grasp and dragged away to drown? Who do you think invented the story, then?

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
By saying that you are really saying that none of them are true. You do realize that, right? I mean, none of them teach only to escape the "freedom from the prison of self."

Why do you think "self" is a "prison"?

They all teach truth. If you read their Books you will find many truths in them. They also teach the virtues and to be pure and sincere. They each brought specific laws for each age.

Today Baha'u'llah brings the teachings of the oneness of humanity, equality between men and women and much more. We live in a divided conflicting world and He has brought teachings for unity and peace.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
You only say this because you can't fathom it. However, I am sure you accept the fact that chemical reactions - elements within compounds seeking greater stability in new relationships with other elements/compounds - happen "by themselves" all the time - no God/human/muskrat input required. Granted, as we define "intelligence" there is none to be found in a chemical reaction. And yet that chemical reaction is still enacted - work is still done, and those elements still somehow "desire" those more stable configurations.

Why is it such a leap to figure that there are even more complex reactions possible, that produce even more complex results, all happening because the constituent parts are mutually seeking better, more stable configurations of matter according to their basic nature?

Humanity used to view the stuff of chemical reactions as "magic" - and there were times that people exploited this fact to claim that they had some power given to them by God or gods, or that the amazing reaction was proof of God. We have dispelled that notion through continued observation and cataloging of the world and universe around us - unlike you, I am not so ready to set the torch aside and say we should seek no further because "God".

I am not referring to magic here but an intelligent scientific Supreme Being. That is not magical butvperfectly logical and rational.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
You know, it drives me crazy that nobody who claims to have such wonderful beliefs will EVER answer the specifics of my questions, but rather brush them off with blanket statements such as yours, pretending that they're honestly and openly dialoging. They're not.

@LukeH, who posts what he calls "Metaphysics" and "Epistemology" (which they are not, by the way) won't answer me either. I wonder why?

But since you've said you just see it opposite to me, tell me -- you've never heard of the tens of thousands of children who starve to death around the world every year, due to no other cause but drought and famine? You've never heard of the 1000 and more babies and their families in Brazil who are going to suffer terrible, terrible lives because of brains ravaged by a virus (that must have been created, because it can't cause itself) that we didn't even know about a couple of years ago?

(By the way, I remember when Christians used to proclaim that "AIDS is a punishment sent by God to those evil homosexuals." So is Zika a punishment sent by God to those who are evil -- even before they're born?)

You see none of this, do you. The Boxing Day tsunami that killed a quarter million people never happened? Babies and children weren't ripped from their parents grasp and dragged away to drown? Who do you think invented the story, then?

Ok then. I'll try and share some of my thoughts. I'm just not very good as you with words. Maybe I can just share some of my ideas.

My understanding is God sends His Prophets, Teachers, Educators, Messiahs etc with Teachings and a Holy Book to guide us then leaves it all up to us to follow it, reject it, use bits of it etc. This is offered to us to help us but we are free to reject it without any consequences or repercussions.

God does not punish us for not believing in Him or accepting His Prophets. That would make Him an oppressor and dictator and that's not the case.

Almost all of what we suffer is brought on by ourselves. So things like AIDS, somewhere a law of nature or uncleanliness has resulted in disease. It is not a punishment from God like some people have said. Somehow we have introduced the disease into our societies. Same with other diseases. Science can discover the root causes. Nothing to do with God.

Things like starvation through poverty and wars. Again, we've set up a system that spends $trillions on weapons for war yet no universal free Medicare? No universal free education to create a skilled fully employee world? Why are all our resources being spent on destroying human life instead of enriching it - greed?

Now in all the Holy Books we are told to be virtuous and upright but we choose instead to set up a system which favours the rich and wealthy and so many poor go without medicine, education and work.

Again it's our fault. Again with Tsunamis and earthquakes. Scientists are saying that man has polluted the atmosphere and changed the weather and even science are not blaming these things on God but man.

Now if we look at the advices, counsels etc of say the recent Manifestation, Baha'u'llah. He taught a better way of doing things, a better system based upon justice and human rights rather than just money. But we reject it and then complain when things we have put in place go wrong.

It's our man made system that's stuffed up. It's our injustices that are causing the wars and conflicts not a God. God just sends His Manifestation and allows us to continue on the path of destruction if that be our wish.

God only 'offers' a way out, a better system but we are free to reject it and go our own way which we have and this is the result. We've created our own bed now we have to sleep in it.The starving children don't have to starve if we had a better system that cared for all humanity but we only look out for our own nationality, interests etc and invest $trillions in war not life.

The injustices, the starvation, the extremes of weather. Everyone points to man for these problems . Only man can fix these things but only if he wants to.

We could stop being proud and have a look at the ideas and counsels God has offered us through Baha'u'llah but the choice is ours and if we say no then we are left alone by God.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Ok then. I'll try and share some of my thoughts. I'm just not very good as you with words. Maybe I can just share some of my ideas.

My understanding is God sends His Prophets, Teachers, Educators, Messiahs etc with Teachings and a Holy Book to guide us then leaves it all up to us to follow it, reject it, use bits of it etc. This is offered to us to help us but we are free to reject it without any consequences or repercussions.

So a good first question. Every Christian I have ever met asserts that God is perfectly capable of making himself known to any person – it does not just have to be a prophet or messiah. Anybody.

Yet, if we accept that God really does only send his prophets and teachers for the benefit of the rest of us, that leaves open the question of how the hell we are supposed to know which ones are really sent from God, and which ones are rogue. So, you may accept Abraham, Moses, Isaiah, Jesus. But what about Joseph Smith? What about Mohammed? What about David Koresh or Marshall Applewhite? The world has had an endless supply of such “prophets and teachers,” and if you look at what they prophecy and teach, and how they so completely contradict each other – then you know that the world also has an endless supply of misinformation, and no real way to figure out what is really from God and what is not. This is an absolutely fatal mistake for any deity wanting what you think God wants. And if God is what you think He is, then it is a mistake that clearly says, “you’re wrong.”

God does not punish us for not believing in Him or accepting His Prophets. That would make Him an oppressor and dictator and that's not the case.

Okay, but you’ve just denied the central tenets of both Christianity and Islam – a little less than half of all the population of the earth. And you don’t think God has mismanaged the message?

Almost all of what we suffer is brought on by ourselves. So things like AIDS, somewhere a law of nature or uncleanliness has resulted in disease. It is not a punishment from God like some people have said. Somehow we have introduced the disease into our societies. Same with other diseases. Science can discover the root causes. Nothing to do with God.

Now this is manifestly untrue. The plain fact is that almost everything that we suffer is 100% natural – that is, if God is responsible for nature, then almost everything that we suffer is from God. The Zika virus is not caught by anybody doing anything unclean – it’s caught by being bitten by one of God’s own creatures – available to infect you in their billions. Extremely few of the diseases and illnesses we suffer are caused by anything we’ve done. (Actually, much to the contrary, many of the natural diseases that we can now cure, we can cure because of our own efforts, not by anything that God did for us.)

Things like starvation through poverty and wars. Again, we've set up a system that spends $trillions on weapons for war yet no universal free Medicare? No universal free education to create a skilled fully employee world? Why are all our resources being spent on destroying human life instead of enriching it - greed?

Very possibly, but since when is anything free? But when starvation is caused by drought, when poverty is caused by lack of available resources, when people die because they’ve been dragged away by a wave caused by a deep underground (where no human has ever interfered) fault having a little hiccup and causing a tsunami – well none of those things are because of anything we’ve done.

Your problem now, since you believe that everything happens for a reason, is to find an answer to “what’s the reason, if it isn’t us?”

Now in all the Holy Books we are told to be virtuous and upright but we choose instead to set up a system which favours the rich and wealthy and so many poor go without medicine, education and work.

Did not one of your “prophets” or “teachers” say “Slaves, obey your masters?” Did not one your teachers ask about the face on a coin and say, “if this is Caesar’s, render to Caesar what is his?” Did not one your Messiahs say “give up all you have?”

Again it's our fault. Again with Tsunamis and earthquakes. Scientists are saying that man has polluted the atmosphere and changed the weather and even science are not blaming these things on God but man.

Nope, not true. Sure, we’re doing a ****-load of damage to our own atmosphere and many of our ecosystems. But earthquakes (the source of tsunamis) is (as the book of Job makes very clear), the very handiwork of God. “Were you there when I laid the foundation of the world?”

Now if we look at the advices, counsels etc of say the recent Manifestation, Baha'u'llah. He taught a better way of doing things, a better system based upon justice and human rights rather than just money. But we reject it and then complain when things we have put in place go wrong.

Maybe it is better, but why should I believe Baha’u’llah and not Joseph Smith or Muhammad? (By the way, Baha’u’llah didn’t leave any room for me – a gay guy – either.)

It's our man made system that's stuffed up. It's our injustices that are causing the wars and conflicts not a God. God just sends His Manifestation and allows us to continue on the path of destruction if that be our wish.

And how do you think we get here? It’s because we have to find some way to survive in the world that we inhabit. It’s not a perfect world. It has limited, excessively unevenly distributed resources. Hell, the Jews live in the ONLY place in the Middle East with no oil! What do you do when somebody raids your house to take away everything? Let them? Or do you fight back? Many wars, most conflicts, are caused because societies find themselves in terrible situations they can find no other way to resolve.

And sometimes, just because some people are really, really nasty and f****d up.

God only 'offers' a way out, a better system but we are free to reject it and go our own way which we have and this is the result. We've created our own bed now we have to sleep in it.The starving children don't have to starve if we had a better system that cared for all humanity but we only look out for our own nationality, interests etc and invest $trillions in war not life.

What “better system?” The only thing on offer from God is “believe this, then die, and I’ll take care of you after that.” We are sleeping in the only bed we have – and according to you, that is the bed that God made for us. It comes with all the warts I’ve mentioned, pretty much all natural (or “God-created” if you prefer).

But I do see what you’re saying, and here we might find some common ground – I am a Humanist, which means that I believe in the essential value of every human person. But as a Humanist, I’ve come to think that the only possible way to actually do that is to lay aside all of my prejudices – racial, societal, sex-oriented ------- and religious! All of them. And only think of people as people. God has nothing to do with that perspective. I do and they do.

The injustices, the starvation, the extremes of weather. Everyone points to man for these problems . Only man can fix these things but only if he wants to.

No, actually, we can’t fix every problem. One day, our sun will explode (won’t that be uncomfortable?) and there’s not a damned thing we can do about it. Earth’s plates will continue to move, and one day Vancouver will shake part of itself under the sea, and California will lose most of its most populated areas – and there’s nothing we can do about it. Those are, if I take your world-view to heart, part of “God’s plan.”

We could stop being proud and have a look at the ideas and counsels God has offered us through Baha'u'llah but the choice is ours and if we say no then we are left alone by God.

Did that work for the Báb?

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
Yes I also believe the same about value in every person.

There are only a few major religions and the rest are either sects, offshoots or man made religions. But we have a mind to investigate and see for ourselves which are true and which are just out for profit or have some insincere motive. People in general have gone for the major religions such as Hinduism, Buddhism, Judaism, Christianity, Islam and in time maybe the Bahá'í Faith.

About earthquakes and tsunamis. We know enough about earthquake belts and tsunami prone areas from science to build away from them. So why do we build on these hot spots when often we could move to a different area. Isn't this something that we should contemplate doing? I myself personally would try and get out of an earthquake or Tsunami region. It's silly to build cities to near the sea or on earthquake belts.

The human body is not made to last forever, so dying is a part of our existence. That doesn't mean we die just our bodies do.

We do not know anything about afterlife except what the Prophets have mostly said but also we know energy cannot be destroyed.

If it's true, and we do live on after this life then the question of all these injustices can be looked at in a different perspective.

So a person who has suffered injustice in this world may easily be adequately compensated in the next and so on. We all die.

There's a lot we don't know yet, but I think a lot of how we live is conditioned by our views towards an afterlife.

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
If you don't believe in the God of the Bible or are unsure about what you believe concerning religion, please feel free to let me know any questions you have and I would love to dialogue with you. All conversation will be conducted in a polite, respectful manner.
Can one get to Christianity philosophically? If not, how do you know it's true?

A Vestigial Mote

I don't believe in magic either.

And why not? "Magic" could be a very good word to use to describe the power that God uses to enact his feats of creation and ongoing maintenance. Some unexplained power that causes wondrous or extraordinary results. Why not use the term "magic"? Just so you don't get roped in with "debil worshippers"? "Magic" is only a word, nothing more.

If anything, I am the one who truly doesn't believe in magic in this conversation. You however? Well... what word would YOU use to describe God's abilities?

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
And why not? "Magic" could be a very good word to use to describe the power that God uses to enact his feats of creation and ongoing maintenance. Some unexplained power that causes wondrous or extraordinary results. Why not use the term "magic"? Just so you don't get roped in with "debil worshippers"? "Magic" is only a word, nothing more.

If anything, I am the one who truly doesn't believe in magic in this conversation. You however? Well... what word would YOU use to describe God's abilities?

My understanding is that many things we term 'magic' or 'miracles' have a hidden scientific law behind them that we do not understand.

For instance God creating man. I believe He used the scientific process of evolution to do it not waved a magic wand and the 7 days to me are Divine days which could be aeons for God and would agree with evolution.

There is nothing that there is not a scientific explanation for although we may not know it or never discover it.

Some mysteries are beyond our minds to fathom but that does not mean they are not intelligent or scientific.

A Vestigial Mote

My understanding is that many things we term 'magic' or 'miracles' have a hidden scientific law behind them that we do not understand.

I would offer up for examination the idea of a "soul" here. Within the confines of our physical universe, given its observable laws and measurable quantities, there is not a facility by which an energy of any form can continually exist forever without energies being input.

And so, within our universe and under the umbrella of our knowledge, the workings of a "soul" would, indeed, be akin to "magic". By definition a soul and its continual existence would be a feat of magic.

This is an example for which there is no possible scientific principle to be followed to explain its existence - unless on God's plane, the physics of His universe work differently and there are mechanisms by which energy within alternate realities/universes can be continually existent without need for ongoing input. Even then, using the scientific principles set forth based on our universe and its observable content - there is no scientific explanation that befits a "soul".