• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is God Omnipresent?

rusra02

Premium Member
Do you believe the Bible teaches God dwells everywhere? Or in a specific location?

FranklinMichaelV.3

Why do you say that? References?

In Genesis, we see the Lord walking in the Garden, we see the Lord asking for where Adam and Eve were (doesn't mean God didn't know where they were).

We later see God asking where Abel is (Again knowledge not so much presence)

God comes down to see what man is doing with the tower of Babel.

Then you have the prophets sayings of how God is always there and you cannot hide from God.

rusra02

Premium Member
In Genesis, we see the Lord walking in the Garden, we see the Lord asking for where Adam and Eve were (doesn't mean God didn't know where they were).

We later see God asking where Abel is (Again knowledge not so much presence)

God comes down to see what man is doing with the tower of Babel.

Then you have the prophets sayings of how God is always there and you cannot hide from God.

You probably can't hide from the NSA, but I doubt they are omnipresent. Rather, they apparently use technology to know what others are doing. I believe Jehovah can use his holy spirit or active force to see what is happening, without needing to leave his place of dwelling. (1 Kings 8:43, Psalm 139:7,8)

Thana

Lady
Do you believe the Bible teaches God dwells everywhere? Or in a specific location?

Jeremiah 23:24

Can a man hide himself in secret places so that I cannot see him? declares the Lord. Do I not fill heaven and earth? declares the Lord.

Proverbs 15:3

The eyes of the Lord are in every place, keeping watch on the evil and the good.

Psalm 139:7-10

Where shall I go from your Spirit? Or where shall I flee from your presence? If I ascend to heaven, you are there! If I make my bed in Sheol, you are there! If I take the wings of the morning and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there your hand shall lead me, and your right hand shall hold me.

Colossians 1:17

And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together.

There are more, You only need look :)

rusra02

Premium Member
Jeremiah 23:24

Can a man hide himself in secret places so that I cannot see him? declares the Lord. Do I not fill heaven and earth? declares the Lord.

Proverbs 15:3

The eyes of the Lord are in every place, keeping watch on the evil and the good.

Psalm 139:7-10

Where shall I go from your Spirit? Or where shall I flee from your presence? If I ascend to heaven, you are there! If I make my bed in Sheol, you are there! If I take the wings of the morning and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there your hand shall lead me, and your right hand shall hold me.

Colossians 1:17

And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together.

There are more, You only need look :)

I believe the verses you quote above do show God's power to see or discern what happens everywhere in his creation. Notice, for example, the Psalmist asks "where can I go from your spirit?" On the other hand, the Bible speaks of heaven as the location of God's dwelling, and that Jesus appeared before the Person of God there. (Hebrews 9:24, 1 Kings 8:39)

Thana

Lady
I believe the verses you quote above do show God's power to see or discern what happens everywhere in his creation. Notice, for example, the Psalmist asks "where can I go from your spirit?" On the other hand, the Bible speaks of heaven as the location of God's dwelling, and that Jesus appeared before the Person of God there. (Hebrews 9:24, 1 Kings 8:39)

True, But who really knows where Heaven is?
It could be all around us, On another plane for example.
But I see why you asked,
Omnipresence is a bit hard to wrap my head around, But I believe it nonetheless. :)

Muffled

Jesus in me
You probably can't hide from the NSA, but I doubt they are omnipresent. Rather, they apparently use technology to know what others are doing. I believe Jehovah can use his holy spirit or active force to see what is happening, without needing to leave his place of dwelling. (1 Kings 8:43, Psalm 139:7,8)

I believe God is Holy and He is Spirit. There is no indication in scripture that the attributes of God are separate entities.

Muffled

Jesus in me
True, But who really knows where Heaven is?
It could be all around us, On another plane for example.
But I see why you asked,
Omnipresence is a bit hard to wrap my head around, But I believe it nonetheless. :)

I believe that God has told me that it is at the center of the time space continuum but not part of the time space continuum. We can't even wrap our minds around a time space continuum let alone try to figure out how it works. all we know is that we are in it now.

Muffled

Jesus in me

Here is a case of omni-presence since Jesus is God in the flesh. 1Pe 3:22 who is on the right hand of God, having gone into heaven; angels and authorities and powers being made subject unto him.

One must remember that an instance of God in relationship with others is not the entirety of God. An instance of God in Jesus is not the entirety of God. However the fact that God is everywhere does not mean that he is more than one. His omnipresent existence may seem disparate but He functions as a whole.

Since God is everywhere one must understand that dwelling does not mean a finite existence. I believe it means that God is more availabe to people there and the same goes for His dwelling in the Temple. And I don't even believe that He actually is more available but only that people perceive it that way. For instance God is always with me so I don't need a dwelling to meet Him but for those who had difficulty hearing from God a point of meeting engendered their faith.