• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is God omni-benevolent?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I never came across Omni benevolent while reading dozens of Spiritual Books during my 10 years stay in India

Omni Benevolent seems a Christian, Atheist or Abrahamics thingy

It's a Christian thing. Atheists don't believe in a God, omnibenevolent or otherwise.

I can imagine, as it is easy, that a "smart" Atheist debater invents "Omni Benevolent" to disprove God or something like that, but as this description makes no sense to attribute to God, it is useless, but fun maybe for debate sake.

Imagine whatever you like. And feel free to suggest that atheist arguments against religion focus heavily on Abrahamaic faith. It's true, imho. But this isn't an atheist invention or strawman, and I'm somewhat bemused why you'd assume that.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
It's a Christian thing. Atheists don't believe in a God, omnibenevolent or otherwise.

Imagine whatever you like. And feel free to suggest that atheist arguments against religion focus heavily on Abrahamaic faith. It's true, imho. But this isn't an atheist invention or strawman, and I'm somewhat bemused why you'd assume that.
I don't assume
I could imagine

This happened

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't assume
I could imagine

This happened

I have no idea what your point is. You said 'Omni Benevolent seems a Christian, Atheist or Abrahamics thingy'

Fair enough. It's a Christian thing. Not all Christians, but it's a very common (not universal) Christian belief.

You then continued;
'I can imagine, as it is easy, that a "smart" Atheist debater invents "Omni Benevolent" to disprove God or something like that, but as this description makes no sense to attribute to God, it is useless, but fun maybe for debate sake.'

Great. But leave us atheists out of it, and there is really no need to talk about "smart" atheists (lower case a) at all. This is a Christian belief. An atheist pushing back on it hardly seems weird given that YOU TOO don't believe in it.

Would you roll with 'I can imagine, as it is easy, a "smart" Hindu debater invents 'Omni Benevolent' to disprove a monotheistic God?'

Would you roll with 'I can imagine, as it is easy, a "smart" Buddhist debater invents 'Omni Benevolent' to disprove a monotheistic God?'

Colour me skeptical. Felt like a drive-by.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Would you roll with 'I can imagine, as it is easy, a "smart" Hindu debater invents 'Omni Benevolent' to disprove a monotheistic God?'
Fine with me
Though
A "smart" Hundu into Advaitha would probably not debate

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
I did in reply to another post. But you need to present some reason that the existence of suffering eliminates the goodness of God before there's anything to discuss.
If I created childhood leukemia in a lab and then released it upon the public, would you say I'm generally a good person, or a bad one?

Muffled

Jesus in me
More like the ground. Anybody can walk on it, but try not to fall onto it.

I believe yu might have been thinking about this verse:
Matt 21:44 And the one who falls on this stone will be broken to pieces; and when it falls on anyone, it will crush him.”

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Not in the context of what you are saying. He created everything perfect and then man messes it up. Certainly we can see what man is messing up today too.
Ah, so God created everything, but not the things we don't like. That's our fault.
LOL Okay then. If that makes sense to you. Just-so fables don't do it for me.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
If I created childhood leukemia in a lab and then released it upon the public, would you say I'm generally a good person, or a bad one?
How does this relate to the question of a loving God?
In a world without God, leukemia, pain, or any form of suffering, including your stubbed toe, is neither good nor bad, it just is.
Why would you have any problem with it?
I suppose the real question is something like: "If God does exist, why doesn't he do something about the world we screwed up?"
According to Christianity he did, in fact, do something quite dramatic. He became one of us and took every pain of every human onto his own body.
I haven't found a god that loving in any other religion and certainly not in a godless universe where pain is just natural selection at work.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
How does this relate to the question of a loving God?
Seriously?

In a world without God, leukemia, pain, or any form of suffering, including your stubbed toe, is neither good nor bad, it just is.
Why would you have any problem with it?
I suppose the real question is something like: "If God does exist, why doesn't he do something about the world we screwed up?"
According to Christianity he did, in fact, do something quite dramatic. He became one of us and took every pain of every human onto his own body.
I haven't found a god that loving in any other religion and certainly not in a godless universe where pain is just natural selection at work.
Instead of preaching, I'd prefer you answer the question.