• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is god interested in you as an individual, or as someone who complies

amorphous_constellation

Here's a bit of confusion to ponder. Is god interested at all in what individuals bring to him, which by nature would be things he hadn't commanded, or would that be a highly secondary thought to god in lieu of your complete compliance. I think maybe the fact that individuals seem to exist argues that a deity might value something unique about you, but that alone isn't at all a strong enough argument for that. Maybe god creates people to try to find a personality he likes, because he's bored. Perhaps all this is, is a big sifting process for personalities that might entertain god somehow via individuality, given that commands are mostly followed. And then god is no longer bored or alone, like it is mostly assumed that he was at the start of this thing.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Here's a bit of confusion to ponder. Is god interested at all in what individuals bring to him, which by nature would be things he hadn't commanded, or would that be a highly secondary thought to god in lieu of your complete compliance. I think maybe the fact that individuals seem to exist argues that a deity might value something unique about you, but that alone isn't at all a strong enough argument for that. Maybe god creates people to try to find a personality he likes, because he's bored. Perhaps all this is, is a big sifting process for personalities that might entertain god somehow via individuality, given that commands are mostly followed. And then god is no longer bored or alone, like it is mostly assumed that he was at the start of this thing.
According to the Bible, God is interested is us as individuals, that is why he wants us to comply with his commandments.
(Isaiah 48:17-19)
17This is what Jehovah says, your Repurchaser, the Holy One of Israel: I, Jehovah, am your God, The One teaching you to benefit yourself, The One guiding you in the way you should walk. 18If only you would pay attention to my commandments! Then your peace would become just like a river And your righteousness like the waves of the sea. 19Your offspring would be as many as the sand And your descendants as its grains. Their name would never be cut off or annihilated from before me.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Without what I see as a false dichotomy between God and creation, each individual is a drop from God's ocean and is valued as being fundamentally One with Him.

JJ50

The evil Biblical god, assuming it exists, seems to weigh up how it is going to get the most fun, by enjoying the suffering of humans.

PureX

Veteran Member
According to some religions, God is all about compliance. But I suspect that's because those religions are all about compliance. What God is about is anyone's guess.

JJ50

According to some religions, God is all about compliance. But I suspect that's because those religions are all about compliance. What God is about is anyone's guess.
Hopefully it isn't about anything as it doesn't actually exist.

amorphous_constellation

Probably not.

Ok. So then for every biblical character, possible unique personality traits might be technically irrelevant, or if they exist, god is blind to them. Then again, music is often perceived as an expression of individuality, and david played the harp to god. Probably as well, the expressive poetry of various biblical figures, lamenting to or praising god in what seem to be idiosyncratic ways

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Not asking what he's about, rather, what he's interested in.
According to my religion, God is interested in our hearts and He wants us to turn our hearts away from the love of worldly things and turn our hearts towards Him. When we can do this we are truly happy. The world is but a show, vain and empty.

59: O SON OF BEING! Thy heart is My home; sanctify it for My descent. Thy spirit is My place of revelation; cleanse it for My manifestation.The Hidden Words of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 17

“Cleanse from your hearts the love of worldly things, from your tongues every remembrance except His remembrance, from your entire being whatsoever may deter you from beholding His face, or may tempt you to follow the promptings of your evil and corrupt inclinations. Let God be your fear, O people, and be ye of them that tread the path of righteousness.......

Dispute not with any one concerning the things of this world and its affairs, for God hath abandoned them to such as have set their affection upon them. Out of the whole world He hath chosen for Himself the hearts of men—hearts which the hosts of revelation and of utterance can subdue. Thus hath it been ordained by the Fingers of Bahá, upon the Tablet of God’s irrevocable decree, by the behest of Him Who is the Supreme Ordainer, the All-Knowing.”
Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, pp. 275, 279

Neuropteron

"Is God Interested in us as individuals, or as someone who complies?"

God knows and values people as individuals:

"The very hairs of your head are all numbered" Matthew 10:30

Another specific mention to God's view of individuals can be found in reference to the saving of humans "of all kinds" by God by Jesus sacrifice and the Bible's clear future promise of a world paradise. (1 Tim 2:4; 'all' gr def.)

However, individuals may devalue their worth by intentionally choosing to side with God's adversary or in some way follow the 'broad road to destruction' instead of the 'narrow and cramped road to life'. (Galations 1:4; Matthew 7:13)

Compliance to the divine principle of love is for the good of all individuals; it is how humans were designed to be governed.

Thus there was only one law to protect life in Eden promulgated by the creator; there were no imperfections requiring any additional laws.

The bible states that "God is love" (1 John 4:8) and this timeless unchanging theocrat rules only for good.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Those don't seem to be relevant verses, in my opinion. They seem to come on the side of compliance
Well, I certainly would like my children to comply when I tell them things for their own good - which may save them running under a bus, or burning themselves with a hot saucepan or fire, etc., etc.
What good parent wouldn't want compliance? :(

Muffled

Jesus in me
I believe God has shown an interest in my well being. I haven't seen an interest in anything else. Maybe the things that interest me son't matter much.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Without what I see as a false dichotomy between God and creation, each individual is a drop from God's ocean and is valued as being fundamentally One with Him.

I believe you can imagine that all you like but there isn't any evidence to support it.