• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is God being unfair? (Languages)

Kinan

Hello, I'm a follower of the Muslim faith. yet I promote skepticism because if a faith is right then you wouldn't have problems questioning it, logically.

Now I have a few simple questions to ask to mostly all the followers of the abrahamic faith.
I wouldn't argue that all the abrahamic faiths state that God is fair.
Why did God deliver his message to be read by generations by using a language that might disappear knowing that translating would cause corruption and losing of the original message?
-
Is God giving privilege for those who practice the language natively knowing that It will be much easier for them to recieve the message than people who would study the language for understanding?

Thanks,
Kinan.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Hello, I'm a follower of the Muslim faith. yet I promote skepticism because if a faith is right then you wouldn't have problems questioning it, logically.

Now I have a few simple questions to ask to mostly all the followers of the abrahamic faith.
Why did God deliver his message to be read by generations by using a language that might disappear knowing that translating would cause corruption and losing of the original message?
-
Is God giving privilege for those who practice the language natively knowing that It will be much easier for them to recieve the message than people who would study the language for understanding?

Thanks,
Kinan.
Interestingly enough, the Hebraic language hasn't disappeared so we can always check for corruption.

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
'Fairness' is impossible to determine given the variables involved.

It does not have the appearance of fairness from my current perspective, no. One of many reasons not to believe in such a God, in my opinion.

Earthling

David Henson

-

Thanks,
Kinan.

Two reasons. 1. That is the language the people he was addressing understood. And 2. He wasn't writing it to us, he was writing it to them. The Bible, from our perspective, isn't a message to us, it is a message to those people in that time that can be used as an example by us.

-

I believe in the Bible God and I think He is fair. People who want to understand, can understand. And for His people, it is promised that they can have Holy Spirit to guide them.

However when he, the Spirit of truth, has come, he will guide you into all truth, for he will not speak from himself; but whatever he hears, he will speak. He will declare to you things that are coming.

John 16:13

So, a disciple of Jesus (“Christian”) never walks alone and even in the darkest moment, he has light.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Interestingly enough, the Hebraic language hasn't disappeared so we can always check for corruption.
But isn't that what scholars are supposed to have done? Those learned people whom others rely on when constructing their new version of the Bible? Or are you suggesting the mere lay people do this for themselves? Christian after Christian after Christian comparing their Bible with its Hebrew sources for corruption. Is this what you're suggesting?

Skwim

Veteran Member
I believe in the Bible God and I think He is fair.
If so, then you must have a concept of fairness apart from any particular application: That fairness is being free from bias, dishonesty, or injustice. Yet you actually think it's fair that all of humanity be saddled with original sin because of what two naive people were fooled into doing? Gotta say, I wouldn't want you on any jury deciding my fate.

Kenny

Premium Member
But isn't that what scholars are supposed to have done? Those learned people whom others rely on when constructing their new version of the Bible? Or are you suggesting the mere lay people do this for themselves? Christian after Christian after Christian comparing their Bible with its Hebrew sources for corruption. Is this what you're suggesting?

Have you heard of the Strong's Concordance and the Vine's Expository Dictionary?

Kenny

Premium Member
If so, then you must have a concept of fairness apart from any particular application: That fairness is being free from bias, dishonesty, or injustice. Yet you actually think it's fair that all of humanity be saddled with original sin because of what two naive people were fooled into doing? Gotta say, I wouldn't want you on any jury deciding my fate.

You mean you don't have enough sins that you want to add an original sin?

PS... Adam wasn't fooled and we aren't either. :)

Skwim

Veteran Member
Have you heard of the Strong's Concordance and the Vine's Expository Dictionary?
Ah, so they're supposed to trump the wisdom of the many scholars who helped put the different Bibles together. Lets take a look at the Hebrew word רַע (ra`) as it appears in Isaiah 45:7. What do you think the average Christian is suppose to do with the following choices in Strong's H7451?

definition of ra  evil in the Bible.png

You have a choice of

Evil
Misery
Distress
Injury
Wrong
Adversity
Wickedness
Wicked
Mischief
Hurt
Bad
Trouble
Sore
Affliction
Ill
Adversity
Ill favored
Harm
Naught
Noisome
Grievous
Sad
and 34 others​

Think a sad god is the same as an ill god, or an evil god?

Kenny

Premium Member
Nah, You have to answer my questions first.

You mean he deliberately ate the apple knowing he would "surely die"? R e a l l y ?

YUP! :D Like when you tried drugs and knew it wasn't good for you... remember? :D

Kenny

Premium Member
Ah, so they're supposed to trump the wisdom of the many scholars who helped put the different Bibles together. Lets take a look at the Hebrew word רַע (ra`) as it appears in Isaiah 45:7. What do you think the average Christian is suppose to do with the following choices in Strong's H7451?

You have a choice of

Evil
Misery
Distress
Injury
Wrong
Adversity
Wickedness
Wicked
Mischief
Hurt
Bad
Trouble
Sore
Affliction
Ill
Adversity
Ill favored
Harm
Naught
Noisome
Grievous
Sad
and 34 others​

Haven't forgotten this! :D WOW Skwim, you actually are beginning to study and asking good questions because you want to know the truth! I'm am amazed and humbled!

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Hello Kinan and welcome to RF.

It is important to note that God is always "just"....."fair" is a matter of interpretation. Because humans allow sentiment to cloud their judgment, it may seem as if God acts "unfairly" at times, doing something that we would not do under similar circumstances, but he is never unjust.....not ever. He is the giver of life and he can take it away.....he can also restore life when he chooses.

If you believe that God is the author and preserver of his word, then its message is not going to be corrupted by men. They may mistranslate words here and there, but the overall meaning in the entirety of scripture cannot be altered. This is why we must know what the Bible teaches for ourselves. Those to whom the scriptures were written, in their own language, did not revere them enough to teach them as God intended. They corrupted the meaning and led others astray. Jesus came to correct them, just as God had sent other prophets to do in the past. They silenced him but they could not silence his message. God will never leave his loyal ones in the dark. Genuine seekers of truth will find it.

Again the answer is NO!. When the Jewish disciples of Jesus preached to the people who had come into Jerusalem for the Festival of Pentecost, God granted the disciples the gift of speaking in all the languages of the visitors, so that they all heard Christ's message in their native tongue. One's mother language is the language of the heart and today we can read God's word in all languages.

The message is God's....and the most powerful Being in the universe is not going to allow men to corrupt his word or to completely mistranslate it.

siti

I'm a follower of the Muslim faith. yet I promote skepticism because if a faith is right then you wouldn't have problems questioning it, logically.
That's what the "deists" in the 18th century thought - two books in particular spring to mind:

John Toland's Christianity Not Mysterious - which was published in 1696 in which he argues that "there is nothing in the Gospels contrary to reason, nor above it" on the grounds that if there was anything in scripture that defies or excels human reason it would be incomprehensible to humans and what would be the point of an incomprehensible revelation?

Matthew Tindal's 1730 book, Christianity as Old as the Creation - which makes the case that it would be manifestly unjust for God's judgement to be based on a revelation of his divine will that was not available at the time an individual lived. He argues that there cannot be anything "new" in Christianity that could not have been known by everyone going right back to Adam - otherwise God would have been unjust in judging pre-Christian generations on the basis of the Christian revelation.

In relation to language, you are right about that too I think. Taking a translation as a verbatim statement of theological truth can, at least in some cases, convert a passage of scripture from a profound but poetic spiritual expression into a prosaic but utterly absurd assertion of doctrinal "truth". The scriptures, I think, are meant to be appreciated more than believed. And its only once we get past the "need to believe" stage that we can truly appreciate them - but by then, perhaps we don't really "need" scripture any more in any case - not that we can't continue to appreciate their expressions.

And I also reckon, if you are really only 19, you are well on the way already. Keep asking questions and appreciate your scriptures - but believe what you have reason to believe. I (sometimes) wish I had done that more when I was younger.

If so, then you must have a concept of fairness apart from any particular application: That fairness is being free from bias, dishonesty, or injustice. Yet you actually think it's fair that all of humanity be saddled with original sin because of what two naive people were fooled into doing?
´

I don’t know what you mean with “original sin”, but if we think sin means that person rejects God, or is apart from God, original sin means we all are born disconnected from God. Why would it not be fair from god to allow us to be born in disconnection from Him? God has right for that and there is nothing that makes it unfair. Luckily, we all have possibility to come back to connection with God. This “life” is only a short lesson about good and evil that people wanted.

Kenny

Premium Member
Lets take a look at the Hebrew word רַע (ra`) as it appears in Isaiah 45:7. What do you think the average Christian is suppose to do with the following choices in Strong's H7451?

What's average?

But if you look at that scripture and these two:

Luke 11: 17 Jesus knew their thoughts and said to them: “Any kingdom divided against itself will be ruined, and a house divided against itself will fall.

James (Jesus' half-brother) 1:
13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:

Do you find a contradiction?

Skwim

Veteran Member
´

I don’t know what you mean with “original sin”,
Essentially Adam and Eves rebellion in Eden, which led to the state of sin in which all of humanity is suppose to exist.

Last edited: