• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is God an Atheist?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
athe·ist
noun \ˈā-thē-ist\
Definition of ATHEIST
: one who believes that there is no deity
— athe·is·tic \ˌā-thē-ˈis-tik\ or athe·is·ti·cal \ˌā-thē-ˈis-ti-kəl\ adjective
— athe·is·ti·cal·ly \-ti-k(ə-)lē\ adverb

God does not believe in a deity for itself, unless it thinks of itself of being god to itself also, but that'd be autotheism.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
God does not believe in a deity for itself, unless it thinks of itself of being god to itself also, but that'd be autotheism.

I think you are confusing the concept of God with 'master'. If God implies a creator of all things manifest, then the one who did the creating would understand his/her/its position/role.

The Sum of Awe

I think you are confusing the concept of God with 'master'. If God implies a creator of all things manifest, then the one who did the creating would understand his/her/its position/role.

Hmm... Well, there is a debatable definition on "god" for this. Even still, had God created itself? If it didn't create itself, it still wouldn't be its own God, just God to its creation.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Hmm... Well, there is a debatable definition on "god" for this. Even still, had God created itself? If it didn't create itself, it still wouldn't be its own God, just God to its creation.

God is a title linked to a role. Does a king know he is king? Does he have to have his own king to know he is king? Nope.

Yes Man

Premium Member
Perhaps God transcends things like belief.

"What happens, happens (including my person and awareness). My belief or disbelief is irrelevant."

Orias

Left Hand Path

Even autotheism is a form of "atheism", more accurately non-theism.

Its somewhere along the lines of...

Once you understand why you deny all other "Gods", you'll understand why I deny yours.

;)

HonestJoe

Definitive knowledge (as most defined gods would have, omnipotent ones certainly) makes statements about belief meaningless.

Not that they're especially meaningful anyway.

lunakilo

Assuming that we are talking about an omnipotent god...

For god to be an atheist, god would have to believe that he himself does not exist.
Or at least not be convinced that he exists.
That doesn't sound very omnipotent to me.

So if god exists and is omnipotent, he can't be an atheist :)

Orias

Left Hand Path

For god to be an atheist, god would have to believe that he himself does not exist.

Interesting!

But I tend to think that if "God" is omnipotent and views himself as a "God", he must not believe in the existence of other "Gods", which essentially makes Him an atheist.

This could go either way, depending on if He really viewed Himself as a "God" or not.

St Giordano Bruno

I would argue more for a "non-theist" as a nonexistent entity would have no concept of a god. Or any living thing which has not developed any sufficient level intelligence to develop any theory whatsoever of God would also be non-theist in nature, such as a horse.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Interesting!

But I tend to think that if "God" is omnipotent and views himself as a "God", he must not believe in the existence of other "Gods", which essentially makes Him an atheist.

This could go either way, depending on if He really viewed Himself as a "God" or not.

Why or how would God not know that he/she/it is God?
An atheist believes there is no metaphysical creating being responsible for the creation of the universe. You can't have a deliberate intelligent Being as God do all that without knowing himself and his role.
And why would God have to be an atheist if he knows he is God?

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
But does a king have a king? Nah.

Actually having or not having a God does not make one a theist or atheist.
Atheism is the disbelief in the existence of a metaphysical being that intelligently created the known universe.
If there is a God, he is the most theistic of all since he actually knows he exists.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Definitive knowledge (as most defined gods would have, omnipotent ones certainly) makes statements about belief meaningless.

Not that they're especially meaningful anyway.

This and Yes Man's post are the most accurate answers here.
Theism and atheism deal with belief whereas God is characterised with absolute knowledge.

Orias

Left Hand Path
I would argue more for a "non-theist" as a nonexistent entity would have no concept of a god. Or any living thing which has not developed any sufficient level intelligence to develop any theory whatsoever of God would also be non-theist in nature, such as a horse.

But you wouldn't want to do that, then people would start saying that atheism and non-theism are the same!

I think you know what I'm talking about...;)

Why or how would God not know that he/she/it is God?
An atheist believes there is no metaphysical creating being responsible for the creation of the universe. You can't have a deliberate intelligent Being as God do all that without knowing himself and his role.
And why would God have to be an atheist if he knows he is God?

Well a good example would be my personal belief.

I am an autotheist by Aspect, and view Man has possessing His own "Godhead".

So, now that I view everyman as a star or "God", it means that these people wouldn't know that they are "Gods", because they have their own personal belief in or of "God" and what he/she is.

A common man wouldn't view himself as a "God" after creating a beautiful painting or having a blood son, but that is the essence of being a creator ;)

The Sum of Awe

So God is God of itself?

The Sum of Awe

Actually having or not having a God does not make one a theist or atheist.
Atheism is the disbelief in the existence of a metaphysical being that intelligently created the known universe.
If there is a God, he is the most theistic of all since he actually knows he exists.

Why would God be metaphysical to itself?