• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is God against astrology?

satori8

I practice astrology in that I read people's charts sometimes. I do check my horoscope from time to time, etc. What is your opinion on this. Astrology good or bad? thanks.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Hindus use it for a ton of things. Marriage compatabilty, when to start new ventures, and a lot more.

Looncall

I practice astrology in that I read people's charts sometimes. I do check my horoscope from time to time, etc. What is your opinion on this. Astrology good or bad? thanks.

I suggest that the first thing to establish is whether astrology is real.

Considering that the stars in some constellations are at disparate distances, and one is hard-pressed to think of any mechanism, I find it hard to see astrology as anything other than superstition.

People are apt to accept anything that allows them to outsource their thinking. I suppose that astrology is just another of those.

Erebus

IMO Astrology is fine when it's treated as a bit of fun or a hobby. It only becomes problematic when people start trying to fit their whole life around it. I also doubt any gods worth paying attention to would really care about the morality of astrology.

satori8

IMO Astrology is fine when it's treated as a bit of fun or a hobby. It only becomes problematic when people start trying to fit their whole life around it. I also doubt any gods worth paying attention to would really care about the morality of astrology.

I agree that anything we become dependent on is not healthy. I pretty much just use it as a guideline in life, but I do not allow it to rule my life.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
The stars don't affect us. I check it too just for funsies, like reading a Chinese fortune cookie.

ZooGirl02

I definitely believe that God is against astrology. The Catechism of the Catholic Church explains it better than I can:

Catechism of the Catholic Church said:
2116 All forms of divination are to be rejected: recourse to Satan or demons, conjuring up the dead or other practices falsely supposed to "unveil" the future. Consulting horoscopes, astrology, palm reading, interpretation of omens and lots, the phenomena of clairvoyance, and recourse to mediums all conceal a desire for power over time, history, and, in the last analysis, other human beings, as well as a wish to conciliate hidden powers. They contradict the honor, respect, and loving fear that we owe to God alone.

CCC Search Result - Paragraph # 2116

And here are some orthodox Catholic links about astrology and horoscopes:

Astrology | Catholic Answers

Does the Bible condemn astrology? | Catholic Answers

How do I explain why we shouldn't read horoscopes? | Catholic Answers

Also, because astrology and horoscopes tend to feature strongly in the New Age, here is an article on the New Age from the Vatican:

Jesus Christ The Bearer Of The Water Of Life - A Christian reflection on the New Age

These are my beliefs.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
There are some people of my faith who are against it, that I know, but I am not sure if God is against it or not.

satori8

Well I was doing some research myself found this. Im not big on catechisms I was looking more for scripture.

Does the Bible condemn astrology?

But one of the main things I look at, is clearly the three Magi were astrologers. This is how they found Jesus, and predicted the birth of a King. Jesus didn't condemn them for finding him and predicting him being the King!

The other thing is, it seems more the attacks on astrologers were from the Jewish people, but it was more a message to the people of Babylonia, because they were in exile with them.

But it is what it says in Genesis:

Genesis 1:14
And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years.

So reading the stars is possible. It seems there are warnings to not be deceived. To me this is more to be careful to not mistake the interpretation. I dont really see anything about not doing it though. I dont think it would be allowed for the Magi to find Jesus if it was forbidden directly.

ZooGirl02

Well I was doing some research myself found this. Im not big on catechisms I was looking more for scripture.

Does the Bible condemn astrology?

But one of the main things I look at, is clearly the three Magi were astrologers. This is how they found Jesus, and predicted the birth of a King. Jesus didn't condemn them for finding him and predicting him being the King!

The other thing is, it seems more the attacks on astrologers were from the Jewish people, but it was more a message to the people of Babylonia, because they were in exile with them.

But it is what it says in Genesis:

Genesis 1:14
And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years.

So reading the stars is possible. It seems there are warnings to not be deceived. To me this is more to be careful to not mistake the interpretation. I dont really see anything about not doing it though. I dont think it would be allowed for the Magi to find Jesus if it was forbidden directly.

What do you think about these verses which address astrology and divination?

When you enter the land the LORD your God is giving you, you must not learn the abhorrent practices of those nations. There must never be found among you anyone who sacrifices his son or daughter in the fire, anyone who practices divination, an omen reader, a soothsayer, a sorcerer, one who casts spells, one who conjures up spirits, a practitioner of the occult, or a necromancer. Whoever does these things is abhorrent to the LORD and because of these detestable things the LORD your God is about to drive them out from before you. You must be blameless before the LORD your God.
(Deuteronomy 18:9-13 NET.)

He passed his son through the fire and practiced divination and omen reading. He set up a ritual pit to conjure up underworld spirits, and appointed magicians to supervise it. He did a great amount of evil in the sight of the LORD, provoking him to anger.
(2 Kings 21:6 NET.)

Then in the fifth year you may eat its fruit to add its produce to your harvest. I am the LORD your God. " 'You must not eat anything with the blood still in it. You must not practice either divination or soothsaying.
(Leviticus 19:25-26 NET.)

You are tired out from listening to so much advice.
Let them take their stand --
the ones who see omens in the sky,
who gaze at the stars,
who make monthly predictions --
let them rescue you from the disaster that is about to overtake you! Look, they are like straw,
which the fire burns up;
they cannot rescue themselves
from the heat of the flames.
There are no coals to warm them,
no firelight to enjoy. They will disappoint you,
those you have so faithfully dealt with since your youth.
Each strays off in his own direction,
leaving no one to rescue you."
(Isaiah 47:13-15 NET.)

Now as we were going to the place of prayer, a slave girl met us who had a spirit that enabled her to foretell the future by supernatural means. She brought her owners a great profit by fortune-telling. She followed behind Paul and us and kept crying out, "These men are servants of the Most High God, who are proclaiming to you the way of salvation." She continued to do this for many days. But Paul became greatly annoyed, and turned and said to the spirit, "I command you in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her!" And it came out of her at once.
(Acts 16:16-18 NET.)

There are a lot of other references in the Bible where God condemns astrology and divination. You can look some of them up at these links:

What Does the Bible Say About Divination?

What Does the Bible Say About Astrologers?

What Does the Bible Say About Astrology?

Personally I believe that there is plenty of Scriptural evidence that God hates astrology and divination.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I see no reason why God would oppose it.
Humans, though, because they fear someone knowing something they do not know. Many would probably think they 'have a hand in it' in some way, such as making the person follow that path.

My opinion on astrology: neutral neutral.

satori8

What do you think about these verses which address astrology and divination?

When you enter the land the LORD your God is giving you, you must not learn the abhorrent practices of those nations. There must never be found among you anyone who sacrifices his son or daughter in the fire, anyone who practices divination, an omen reader, a soothsayer, a sorcerer, one who casts spells, one who conjures up spirits, a practitioner of the occult, or a necromancer. Whoever does these things is abhorrent to the LORD and because of these detestable things the LORD your God is about to drive them out from before you. You must be blameless before the LORD your God.
(Deuteronomy 18:9-13 NET.)

When I look at it in its entirety, I see it more as a condemnation of black magic, which could harm someone, than a condemnation of astrology. Not justifying. But there was a real fear of the Jewish people of black magic and I think this is what was being conveyed.

He passed his son through the fire and practiced divination and omen reading. He set up a ritual pit to conjure up underworld spirits, and appointed magicians to supervise it. He did a great amount of evil in the sight of the LORD, provoking him to anger.
(2 Kings 21:6 NET.)

Notice underworld spirits, this form of divination. I could see this likened to using a ouija board, which I agree can contact bad spirits, but I see the stars and planets as being created by God, not black magic,

Then in the fifth year you may eat its fruit to add its produce to your harvest. I am the LORD your God. " 'You must not eat anything with the blood still in it. You must not practice either divination or soothsaying.
(Leviticus 19:25-26 NET.)

These were once again, told to the Jewish people with strict rules, and I believe it was meant to condemn black magic. Drinking blood, I feel the condemnation was there with meat, so not to get a taste for blood, because blood drinking and magic is a black magic practice.

Please Pagan friends do not attack. It is harm to drink blood, because you harm to do so.

You are tired out from listening to so much advice.
Let them take their stand --
the ones who see omens in the sky,
who gaze at the stars,
who make monthly predictions --
let them rescue you from the disaster that is about to overtake you! Look, they are like straw,
which the fire burns up;
they cannot rescue themselves
from the heat of the flames.
There are no coals to warm them,
no firelight to enjoy. They will disappoint you,
those you have so faithfully dealt with since your youth.
Each strays off in his own direction,
leaving no one to rescue you."
(Isaiah 47:13-15 NET.)

This was not a condemnation of astrology. What Isaiah was saying is people could not be 'rescued' by seeing the stars, or foretell Gods work, when he was ready to invoke his will. It's not a condemnation of the practice. It is saying it would be ineffective. Which I agree, God can shield the eyes of someone, or show the light.

Now as we were going to the place of prayer, a slave girl met us who had a spirit that enabled her to foretell the future by supernatural means. She brought her owners a great profit by fortune-telling. She followed behind Paul and us and kept crying out, "These men are servants of the Most High God, who are proclaiming to you the way of salvation." She continued to do this for many days. But Paul became greatly annoyed, and turned and said to the spirit, "I command you in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her!" And it came out of her at once.
(Acts 16:16-18 NET.)

It didn't say she was an astrologer. It says 'supernatural means.' Which could be she was prophesizing, but was connected to bad spirits. Which is why they commanded stuff to come out of her.

There are a lot of other references in the Bible where God condemns astrology and divination. You can look some of them up at these links:

What Does the Bible Say About Divination?

What Does the Bible Say About Astrologers?

What Does the Bible Say About Astrology?

Personally I believe that there is plenty of Scriptural evidence that God hates astrology and divination.

I will check the links and appreciate them thank you. :)

Erebus

I agree that anything we become dependent on is not healthy. I pretty much just use it as a guideline in life, but I do not allow it to rule my life.

Yep, fair enough :)

I pretty much said as much when I used to do tarot readings for friends. Seeing it as advice is one thing, but some people can become obsessive and that (in my opinion) is where it becomes a problem.

satori8

Yep, fair enough :)

I pretty much said as much when I used to do tarot readings for friends. Seeing it as advice is one thing, but some people can become obsessive and that (in my opinion) is where it becomes a problem.

I completely agree with obsession. And I do read tarot from time to time. I have about seven decks. I just pretty much use it for insight, I see it more psychological based than supernatural.

I have had some people I would read the chart for, then keep 'coming and coming' for a read, and I cut them off. I told them they need to find their own guidance. I would not want someone dependent on me for advice. Like a relationship reading, I can view some compatibility, but I dont claim 'this will work' or 'this person is a good person for you.' I just kind of give the energies which may mesh or conflict, and the person can take that with what they will. And I dont believe in giving negative readings. Like Once I did a tarot reading for someone who was inquiring about a friend, who was pregnant. The death card came up in the outcome, and I told them I saw nothing. The person miscarried, and I just kept my mouth shut. If I had relayed that the death card came up, and then the person miscarried, I would feel responsible, like I freaked them out, etc. So Im glad I did not relay the message. So anything negative from astrology or tarot I refuse to relay, and let God deal with. its not my place.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I don't put any stock, whatsoever, into Astrology. I have no idea how a hypothetical being may view the topic.

satori8

I don't put any stock, whatsoever, into Astrology. I have no idea how a hypothetical being may view the topic.

That's ok. I completely understand being skeptical because say a horoscope is 'one size fits all' in the paper. However when you examine a chart with the sun and the planets and other aspects, it is a completely different picture. Then factor in transits and its all about energy and how it can affect the person.

I've done possibly 400 charts for people over the last 15 years. I see something in it, Ive had positive feedback, and so I continue. I cant to this day exactly explain how it works, but I feel it works. I think it is just something which can guide us, but I dont believe it should rule us. I do not accept fate, unless someone is going against the grain with things. All people can rise above their charts and create their own destiny.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
If we're talking about the Biblical God, the Bible says that God created the stars as signs, and even Jesus said something comparing reading the signs of the seasons (which is one of the fundamental reasons behind star-reading, to predict weather and harvest) and the end of times. I think the Bible God is jealous if you pray to the stars instead of him, but that only shows how insecure he is. ;)

Here's a pro-astrology link for you to read: http://www.gotquestions.org/astrology-Bible.html

Think about the magi in the Gospel stories. They read the stars about the birth of Jesus. Why would God do that if he hates astrology? Using Satan to prove his son's birth? Doesn't make sense...

satori8

If we're talking about the Biblical God, the Bible says that God created the stars as signs, and even Jesus said something comparing reading the signs of the seasons (which is one of the fundamental reasons behind star-reading, to predict weather and harvest) and the end of times. I think the Bible God is jealous if you pray to the stars instead of him, but that only shows how insecure he is. ;)

Here's a pro-astrology link for you to read: What does the Bible say about astrology or the zodiac? Is astrology something a Christian should study?

Think about the magi in the Gospel stories. They read the stars about the birth of Jesus. Why would God do that if he hates astrology? Using Satan to prove his son's birth? Doesn't make sense...

Thank you for the link! I dont pray to stars or put them above God. I just see them as guidance, and awesome at that. The Magi clearly did charts because they were not only able to pinpoint Jesus's birth, but location. Very fascinating stuff. Thank you so much. Gonna read some more.