• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is God a Sports Fan? Many Americans Think so...

I'd like to see the difference how many of those people believe God decides these events simply because everything that happens is Divine Providence, which necessarily includes sports events as contrasted with those who thinks God specifically intervenes to influence the outcome one way or the other.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I'd like to see the difference how many of those people believe God decides these events simply because everything that happens is Divine Providence, which necessarily includes sports events as contrasted with those who thinks God specifically intervenes to influence the outcome one way or the other.

Are you crediting Americans with philosophical or theological coherence? That would be so rich if you were.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I would say it this way, everybody can be an expert, but speaking individually, God can make a difference in that person's life and ability. But God doesn't necessarily determine the outcome of the game since there are believers on both teams and their supporters.

BSM1

What? Me worry?

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

Its not just the United States, Soccer Players, Tennis Players, Golfers from all Countries have Thanked god on TV. I don't have any polls but I would bet the 25% percent holds up world wide. I imagine millions of soccer fans praying to God during the world cup.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
More bunk polls and studies possibly politically or religiously motivated from experts, it probably does deserve to be in the jokes section.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
So god will use his power to manipulate the outcome of some meaningless event where grown men are paid millions to chase balls around, but can't be bothered to use his power to help abused, neglected, starving, or sick children?

Rational Agnostic

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
That's our job

Isn't a sports game also "our job"? Something that should be determined by the athletes' skill, strategy, teamwork, training, etc? A god that would squander his power meddling in meaningless things while ignoring actual suffering and injustice is a rather worthless god. Don't you think hungry children pray? Why would the prayer of some drunken frat oaf supersede the prayer an innocent child in dire need?

Stanyon

WWMRD?
Isn't a sports game also "our job"? Something that should be determined by the athletes' skill, strategy, teamwork, training, etc? A god that would squander his power meddling in meaningless things while ignoring actual suffering and injustice is a rather worthless god. Don't you think hungry children pray? Why would the prayer of some drunken frat oaf supersede the prayer an innocent child in dire need?

I don't believe in a God so it's not going to work, please remember this.
Sports are sports and it doesn't matter what hungry children do, maybe it gives them a little hope but at the end of the day they eat or die eventually.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
How many sports fans thank God for their team losing after the game is over?

David1967

Premium Member

If it weren't so true (sadly), it should go in the jokes section. This is something that I have thought ridiculous for a long time. For example; the boxer praying for the strength to pummel his opponent (who by the way is praying to the same God) into submission or unconsciousness. Somehow I think the supreme being would think such trivial things a bit below say ,making sure the planets stay in line.:rolleyes: I could see the value in praying for everyone participating to have a safe game though.

suncowiam

Tim Tebow sure believes God was a sports fan and particularly a Denver Broncos fan.

Based on the results, God probably wasn't a Tebow fan.