• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is God a sexual being?

blackout

Violet.
your just taking what I said out of context, he has mothering traits that is true but that was only to show that calling him a man, which was your inital statement was false. if we wanted to be accurate we would have to say God was neither which was my original statement.

No. You might also say that God was/is BOTH.
(as opposed to 'neither')

I think this is probably much MORE accurate.
(assuming gOd "IS" at all)

Last edited:

tarasan

ok. so god was not male.
was god also not father?

What are the differences between "father traits"
and "mother traits",
that would nullify the prayer....
"Our Mother, who art in heaven... hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us
and lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil."

It fits today's father no better than it does today's mother.

this was the statement you said before and like I said it was to show he had authority (he is our father) yet also being personal to us, (fathers are generally considered personal beings) remember I can pull a few verses out saying that God is nothing but spirit, which is what he is.

sterotypical mother/father traits that people have e.g. mothers being more nurturing and caring etc, you know the deal.

the reason we dont use the term mother is because God never expressly used the term, father is in christian eyes a better overviewing perspective of gods relationship to us, for the reason i gave above but that doesnt make him male, christians emphasis this point quite strongly.

remeber my claim is that he is neither.

blackout

Violet.
If God is "neither" male nor female,
than how were we created male and female
in Their* Image?

*"Our Image" as quoted from the bible itself.

tarasan

If God is "neither" male nor female,
than how were we created male and female
in Their* Image?

*"Our Image" as quoted from the bible itself.

the image of God is a spiritual one, as in God Gave us a force within ourselvse that was like what he was, we call it the soul, we see it being given to adam in the second creation account in chapter 2 of genesis.

blackout

Violet.
*gets off the abrhamic merry'go'round*

gOd is all things. all things are gOd.

When I am sexual, gOd is sexual.
If sex exists at all...
then gOd engages in sex.

(assuming gOd exists at all... et all...)

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
She's way out of your league man.

I guess all the years of ridicule, taunts, and abuse don't help. Well, actually, come to think of it, if god is anything like human women, she's probably already hopelessly in love with me because of these things.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
The way I see it the divine takes many forms and those forms will either be very sexual, very celibate, or somewhere in between. It all depends on the preferences and perceptions of the follower/seeker/etc. My patron goddess Selene and several of the other gods and goddesses in my pantheon ARE sexual in nature and in Feri sex itself is embraced as a magical, creative, ritualistic force that can be used as an act of worship. So for me "god" is a sexual being, but only because I see sex as a divine act in and of itself, at least when it's done out of love (which would include worship)

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Is there a sexual nature to god, since he made things with sexual nature?

I don't think so.

I think God is incorporeal and physically undefinable. We give Him human attributes in order to classify and define something we can't easily comprehend otherwise. As for calling God a He, I believe it goes back to both this personification and to language; I think ancient Hebrew is like many languages and lacks a gender neutral pronoun (but I might be wrong here).

As far a man being made in His image, I don't thing it has anything to do with the physical. I think it is much more mental and metaphysical. We have free will and the ability to reason. It's our ability to use reasoning and thought to analyze and influence the world around us that links us to God's image.

tarasan

*gets off the abrhamic merry'go'round*

gOd is all things. all things are gOd.

When I am sexual, gOd is sexual.
If sex exists at all...
then gOd engages in sex.

(assuming gOd exists at all... et all...)

If you ask me the same kind of question again and again why wouldnt you expect a repeated answer? :shrug:

Saying God is all things is just the same as saying nothing is God.