• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is God a Liberal or a Conservative?

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
If God registered to vote in the 2020 US Presidential race, would he have voted for Trump? Biden? Jorgenson? Hawkins? West? Would God, in an anthropomorphic form, be liberal or conservative?..............

In Scripture, we can notice that since Jesus was 'neutral' in worldly affairs, and Jesus remained: politically neutral.
Jesus nor his 1st-century followers got involved in the issues of the day even between the issues between the Jews verses the Romans.
God already is the One who put Jesus, as King of God's kingdom (Daniel 2:44) for a thousand years. - 1 Corinthians 15:24-26

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
God created humans to be free, without king (or any ruler), that is why I would say He is liberal.
In Scripture I find humans do have a king because God put Jesus as king of God's kingdom for a thousand years over mankind - 1 Corinthians 15:24-26

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Nope, first satan has to set up his counterfeit kingdom which is already here and just waiting to be revealed. They have almost everything ready and only he who "now lets" must be taken out of the way. Make sure you're not deceived by it because they'll say peace! peace! and then comes ... well read your Bible to find out.
... and (1 Thessalonians 5:2-3) then comes the great tribulation of Revelation 7:14,9 before Jesus, as Prince of Peace, ushers in global Peace on Earth......

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
If God registered to vote in the 2020 US Presidential race, would he have voted for Trump? Biden? Jorgenson? Hawkins? West?

Would God, in an anthropomorphic form, be liberal or conservative?

Please explain you choices.

In the past, it was said monarchs had a "divine right" because they were chosen to lead by God. Monarchism is a rather conservative position, so it could mean that God is a conservative who once supported autocratic governments, but later (apparently) favored democracy and freedom.

I've heard some people say that America has a significant role to play in biblical prophecy, implying that God is somehow influencing political events in America. So, maybe all this is part of some divine plan, and God would support whatever candidate would best carry out that plan.

But sometimes, I might wonder what God would really think about our political system - or politicians in general.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I think God's candidate would have been a write-in.

Probably somebody we never heard of.

Possibly not even human, like maybe somebody's pet rabbit.

Fluffy for president!

Clara Tea

God is neither Republican nor Democrat (nor any other). God set the rules, and others follow those rules to varying degrees.

PRESIDENT W. BUSH:

Taliban were the many religious leaders of Afghanistan who also ran the government. It took time for them to reach a consensus because they didn't meet in a group, they traveled about the country. Nine days after 911 (September 20), the Taliban captured Al Qaeda leader, Osama Bin Laden, and his top aides and offered to turn them over to the US if the US could provide proof that they were terrorists. They wouldn't turn them over without proof because they felt that W. Bush was acting out of anger from the attack, and was apt to make rash decisions. At this juncture, the diplomatic move would be to negotiate with the Taliban to turn over the Al Qaeda to a neutral third party that was only interested in serving justice, not some wild revenge against the wrong enemy as W. Bush eventually did.

So, God: "Thou shalt not kill" Bush: War in Afghanistan against the Taliban (they were on our side), and then torture camps around the world (ship on the Indian Ocean, camps in Iraq, and X-Ray and Delta in Guantanamo (which has a sign in front about establishing justice and freedom)). All this was to torture false confessions to justify a war without basis.

I can assure you that God doesn't want war and torture camps, nor environmental damage (in love with oil mammon), etc.

So, though W. Bush said that he was going to end abortion (which he never did anything), and though W. Bush said that he was "fightin' evil" and fightin' the "Axis of Evil" he, himself, was evil for fighting and torturing the wrong enemy.

The war in Iraq killed 1,000,000 Iraqis (notice that the press didn't want to hurt war efforts so they never gave casualty reports. Rumsfeld said that no women or children were hit by collateral damage, though carpet bombs left 1/2 mile diameter craters near large cities.

God doesn't like lies and mass murder.

W. Bush, at the time, was not only the president of the United States, he was also the president of the Religious Right (only president to do this).

MIXING POLITICS AND RELIGIION:

Well meaning theist voters think that one party represents their interests more than the other party. But, there is a vast chasm between the goal of religion, and carrying out God's laws. This is why it is better to not mix religion with politics.

When King Henry VIII wanted to divorce (or chop heads of) his wives, he founded his own church (Anglican, Protestant), and insisted on leading it (against the advice of Sir Thomas Moore, his privy council and Lord Protector of Great Britain, now sainted). This resulted in daughter Bloody Mary chopping off the heads of over 150 Protestant preachers for refusing to wear Catholic robes. Then people were punished for not being Anglican under the next tyrant. This is why the United States opted for freedom of religion, and inherent was a law preventing the mixing of Church and State, insisting that one religion could not be respected over another by the government.

Now, various sects want political power, funding for religious schools (which would sap funding from public schools), and they want to decide who gets charity, and they want to dole it out (welfare). They want evolution banned from science classes, and they want creationism taught (at least with evolution....claiming that evolution, too, is a religious belief because it discusses how we were created).

Noble goals, all, but we must avoid the pitfalls of Henry VIII's dictatorship and harsh rule.

wellwisher

In terms of the current incarnation of the Judeo-Christian God, Jesus, the son of God, who came after God the father, left behind the Holy Spirit or Spirit of truth. The Holy Spirit would be the God aspect that would come to vote, since he is the most current, being here in real time.

This incarnation of God requires individuality, since the Holy Spirit is personal; inner voice, and not group think; doctrine of men. This eliminates the liberal party. They did not vote for a man based on his accomplishments and/or his winning spirit, but simply because he had a D next to his name. They would not be receptive to the spirit of truth, since to them their political ends justified any means. Truth did not have the final say. The collusion delusion had little to do with the spirit of truth. Changing voting laws last minute is not about seeking truth via a fair and honest election.

The Conservatives believe more in individuality, self reliance and free speech instead of PC, censorship and group conformity. This makes them more receptive to the truth, since the truth is less likely to be drowned out or suppressed, by narrow and agenda driven group think. Truth can only appear, when all sides have a voice, so bits and pieces of the truth can be brought together into truthful awareness.

Trump is a free spirit who would not conform to the collective and dual justice ways of the bureaucratic swamp. Trump was paradoxically liberal in that sense, and this appealed to the religious conservatives, even though he was not the poster child of the religious proper.

This paradox had to do with his spirit, being in flux; against all odds, and him not being a product of group conditioning. The spirit leads and does not follow or conform. Conformity to the old incarnations of God, did not do justice to the current incarnation.

In the end, it was not the Holy Spirit who came, but a more earthy spirit connected to lawlessness and deception. He/she voted with the liberals.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
If any God supports the right-wing minded who voted Trump into power then I don't want anything to do with such an entity - and fortunately I think this is as unlikely as there being such an entity.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Nope. Read 1 Samuel 8. The bible god is against the monarchy. He let the Israelites have a king to punish them for their wish.

As per usual, the text contradicts itself. Read 1 Samuel 9. God gives Israel a king to save them from the Philistines. And in many other subsequent passages, Yahweh wholeheartedly endorses the monarchy, including promising that someone will reign on the throne of King David forever.

So that's why I said monarchist/theocrat. When not endorsing monarchy, Yahweh endorses religious leaders as rulers.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
In Scripture, we can notice that since Jesus was 'neutral' in worldly affairs, and Jesus remained: politically neutral.
Jesus nor his 1st-century followers got involved in the issues of the day even between the issues between the Jews verses the Romans.
God already is the One who put Jesus, as King of God's kingdom (Daniel 2:44) for a thousand years. - 1 Corinthians 15:24-26
Politics is not something separate from religion.

Unlike some, he avoided labeling people with the exception of hypocrites. Unconditional love is not a respecter of persons but it is of behavior acceptable to god

Last edited:

PruePhillip

If God registered to vote in the 2020 US Presidential race, would he have voted for Trump? Biden? Jorgenson? Hawkins? West?

Probably neither. Says in the bible there should be 'moderation in all things.'
Moderate people would stick to the center of politics. Unfortunately that center
has vanished in America.
Having said that - liberal people are more God hating than conservatives. And
God, but definition, is conservative as He has been around forever.

In Scripture I find humans do have a king because God put Jesus as king of God's kingdom for a thousand years over mankind - 1 Corinthians 15:24-26

It is interesting that originally it was people who demanded God to give king to them.

But the thing displeased Samuel, when they said, Give us a king to judge us. Samuel prayed to Yahweh. Yahweh said to Samuel, Listen to the voice of the people in all that they tell you; for they have not rejected you, but they have rejected me, that I should not be king over them. According to all the works which they have done since the day that I brought them up out of Egypt even to this day, in that they have forsaken me, and served other gods, so do they also to you. Now therefore listen to their voice: however you shall protest solemnly to them, and shall show them the manner of the king who shall reign over them. Samuel told all the words of Yahweh to the people who asked of him a king. He said, This will be the manner of the king who shall reign over you: he will take your sons, and appoint them to him, for his chariots, and to be his horsemen; and they shall run before his chariots; and he will appoint them to him for captains of thousands, and captains of fifties; and he will set some to plow his ground, and to reap his harvest, and to make his instruments of war, and the instruments of his chariots. He will take your daughters to be perfumers, and to be cooks, and to be bakers. He will take your fields, and your vineyards, and your olive groves, even the best of them, and give them to his servants. He will take your men-servants, and your maid-servants, and your best young men, and your donkeys, and put them to his work. He will take the tenth of your flocks: and you shall be his servants. You shall cry out in that day because of your king whom you shall have chosen you; and Yahweh will not answer you in that day. But the people refused to listen to the voice of Samuel; and they said, No: but we will have a king over us,
1 Sam. 8:6-19

Earthly rulers enslave people. Jesus frees. That is why I like Jesus.

The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,
Luke 4:18

You were bought with a price. Don't become bondservants of men.
1 Cor. 7:23

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

This assumes that one or the other must be right and the other wrong. I doubt that is the case. Usually one is a better choice at a particular period of time in certain given circumstances. But it goes back and forth.

Basicaly....

Liberalism means having the capacity to change, to invite new ideas and practices. It means having the capability to change when change is necessary. When society is stagnating, or when the old ways are no longer working for any reason, it is necessary to close up shop on the old and invite the new. This is the gift of liberalism. It's flaw is that liberals will often be inclined to change when change is not needed, and all change brings unforeseen risks. They will put society in danger of dysfunction simply to try out a new idea, when the old way of doing things is working just fine. They need to learn the lesson of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Conservatism means desiring to preserve the traditional ways. The tried and true are often the rocks that stand firm with the windstorm ocean waves of time crash back and forth. Hanging on to what works is highly, highly practical. The problem is, there DO come times when the tried and true aren't so true anymore. Things DO sometimes change, and in such circumstances, conservatives can cling to the old when it is dysfunctional to do so. This can cause a stagnation in society that is awful. They need to learn that there comes a time when one should be a little more adaptable.

God, being the all knowing ideal, always knows the proper balance between stability and change. He would always know when new ideas or traditional ideas is going to be best for society. Thus he would transcend liberal and conservative.

Now, would God vote liberal or conservative in this last election? That is a whole different ball game. It's not really a fair question, because we all assume that our views are square with God (unless of course we don't believe in God). IOW this is just a roundabout way of asking us what our own views are on the election.

For example, I think Trump is immoral and has psychological problems -- that he is a malignant narcissist and possibly a sociopath (and I mean far more than the usual amount you see in politicians), and that his tenure has been all about obtaining more and more power. Had we elected Trump, I believe our democracy would have eroded to the point that I expect there wouldn't have been 2024 elections. So for the sake of avoiding dictatorship, I think Biden was the obvious choice. This issue of avoiding tyranny was more important than ANY other issue. And OF COURSE I think God agrees.