• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is genesis history? Move event tonight in the us. What say you

whirlingmerc

Brief reply: Except for the part where there's light on earth before the sun.

Sent from Windows 10 Mobile
God doesn't need the sun to make light as is said in revelation. I would say the sun appearing in the middle of creation week is like Jesus appearing in the middle of history incarbationslly

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Bryant wood has allot of material supporting a biblical view of Jericho and. Sodom
I doubt very much that we he has is authentic in any way because there is almost nothing available as evidence prior to 1000 b.c.e..

You have to remember that such claims are a dime a dozen and are typically put out by people who are neither archaeologists nor historians. So, typically what you run across are those who are trying to sell us a book or who have an "agenda".

Ever read BAR?

metis

The Brooklyn papyrus has a lot of Egyptian slaves with Jewish sounding names like menachem isachar Naphtali etc.
I have read numerous articles on this and nothing positive is agreed upon by serious researchers. BAR has had numerous articles on this in the past.

Now, I'm certainly not saying that there weren't Jewish slaves in Egypt, just that we really don't know if there were.

And the reality is what difference does it really make as a supposed historical event? Again, what's most important are the morals and values taught within the narrative.

BTW, with your interest, let me recommend you get a subscription to BAR, and I do believe you'll see it as money well spent.

metis

OK, let me get into some of the lessons found in the 1:1 creation account, but I'll have to be brief.

[1] In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
This is earth-shaking because all the neighboring religions were polytheistic and had a mixture of good and bad deities that created different parts of creation. Today, we take monotheism for granted, but it certainly wasn't back then.

[4] And God saw that the light was good; and God separated the light from the darkness.
"Good" means "complete", which also means "good". :D Since this is repeated throughout this narrative, I chose not to keep on quoting versus that had this in it. Other religions typically believed there were some things created that were evil and must be avoid or placated in some way.

[5] God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And there was evening and there was morning, one day.
Notice the sequence here, which is repeated, as this signifies when a new day starts, which was not at "midnight but at sundown.

[6]And God said, "Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it separate the waters from the waters."
"Firmament" was viewed as being solid, with the sun, moon, and stars being under the dome. When it rained, the belief was that the dome opened a bit. Even though this is not clear in the accounts, this is what was largely believed. How could they know any different?

[8] And God called the firmament Heaven. And there was evening and there was morning, a second day.
Above the dome was "heaven", which people could not see but where God and the angels resided.

[12] The earth brought forth vegetation, plants yielding seed according to their own kinds, and trees bearing fruit in which is their seed, each according to its kind. And God saw that it was good.
Again, notice "good" means "complete".

[16] And God made the two great lights, the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night; he made the stars also.
The moon is important here because we used and still use the lunar calendar.

[27] So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them
OK, the early view of this relationship is that we actually were of God in such a way that we were essentially a part of God, which eventually became called a "soul". But this "soul" is not separate from us but is intrinsic. To "lose one's soul" was considered totally catastrophic but possible.

Between us and God were angels, seraphim, etc., which also were not viewed as being separate from God. This has some implications that I can't get into right now that are often overlooked.

[28] And God blessed them, and God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth and subdue it; and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the air and over every living thing that moves upon the earth."
Reproduction was viewed as being sacred to the point that one was not considered married until they had sexual relations, although I'm referring to humans, not animals at this time.

Also, note that animals were not to be viewed on the same plane as humans or God, which is important in regards to forbidding animal worship that was found in many cultures.

[1]Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.
[2] And on the seventh day God finished his work which he had done, and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had done.
[3] So God blessed the seventh day and hallowed it, because on it God rested from all his work which he had done in creation.
This of course sets up Shabbat, which is a day of the week, but at this point there is no demand for us to observe it.

Undoubtedly, there is more that a Torah scholar could add, plus I had to be brief.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
God doesn't need the sun to make light as is said in revelation.
Well and fine, but that makes it very much so non-scientific and not an accurate historical telling.

I saw light before the sun this morning
And yet the sun was there. Thanks to the curvature of the Earth, your direct view of it was obscured. What I'm talking about is light and day being created before the sun itself.

whirlingmerc

Lots of interesting cases of soft dinosaur tissue found suggesting a younger earth Also interesting that animal tracks are found then many millions of so called geological years bodies fossilized. Go figure

arthra

Baha'i
long ages or special creation?
One evolutionary tree. Or a creation art orchard?
See. Movie trailer on YouTube. Is genesis history

In the Baha'i Writings it suggests both a creating process and long ages not either or...

"The Creator always had a creation; the rays have always shone and gleamed from the reality of the sun, for without the rays the sun would be opaque darkness. The names and attributes of God require the existence of beings, and the Eternal Bounty does not cease. If it were to, it would be contrary to the perfections of God."

~ Abdu'l-Baha, Some Answered Questions, p. 281

"...the Essence of Unity (that is, the existence of God) is everlasting and eternal -- that is to say, it has neither beginning nor end -- it is certain that this world of existence, this endless universe, has neither beginning nor end. Yes, it may be that one of the parts of the universe, one of the globes, for example, may come into existence, or may be disintegrated, but the other endless globes are still existing; the universe would not be disordered nor destroyed. On the contrary, existence is eternal and perpetual."

~ Abdu'l-Baha, Some Answered Questions, p. 179

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Here is one Definition is this what you are saying?
No, that one defines a different manner of myth. Oxford has a better one, though the one you gave is the secondary definition. The first is what I mean:

myth n
1. a story from ancient times, especially one that was told to explain natural events or to describe the early history of a people; this type of story - synonym: legend
ancient Greek myths
a creation myth
(= that explains how the world began)
the heroes of myth and legend
2, something that many people believe but that does not exist or is false - synonym: fallacy
It is time to dispel the myth of a classless society (=to show that it does not exist).
Contrary to popular myth, women are not worse drivers than men.
see also urban myth

Mythbusters dispel the second definition of myths. The first cannot really be "dispelled," but can be shown to be unscientific or clearly metaphorical.

metis

Lots of interesting cases of soft dinosaur tissue found suggesting a younger earth
When encased in stone, which is what a fossil is, soft tissue can and has lasted for millions of years under ideal conditions. Dating techniques do show what we call "dinosaurs" going back millions of years ago, and scientists know how these dating techniques work and can adjust them for "margin of error".

Also, if we go back millions or billions of years prior to the emergence of dinosaurs, there's nothing like them ever being found, nor any mammals or humans. So, how did they get here if they were there at "creation"? Would be sorta hard to miss them.