• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is feminism still needed in the U.S.

Alceste

Vagabond
Perhaps not an idiot. Naive, maybe. Disenfranchised. Likely without much or any support at home or school. Perhaps dropped out and discontinued education due to family issues to which she has no control over.

It's what happened to a friend of mine. Straight A student. But mother left father, took daughter with her and away from her school and friends, moved in with an abusive man, who raped her mother repeatedly, and then stabbed her father to death in front of her when she wasn't even in middle school yet. Out of fear for her life since her father's murderer threatened her too, she fled and lived under a bridge in as much anonymity as possible. Wound up prostituting herself at first at 12, but she had no experience negotiating for compensation, so she was referred to a local pimp who sold her out but exploited her for his personal gain. The stories are horrific, and by that time, she was 14 and was still homeless and felt anonymity was her best protection from a murderous stepfather. She was forced to perform fellatio at gunpoint. A few of the johns were only interested in anally penetrating her, in spite of how it injured her. So she was raped numerous times by a few johns. She was held hostage by her pimp for 6 weeks and tortured with precision cutting near her nipples and genitalia to keep her in line. When she finally discovered that her stepfather was incarcerated, she felt safer and reported to a shelter, found herself in the foster care system, and was adopted to a loving family at 15.

This also wasn't in major metropolitan areas, either. Small town midwest U.S.A.

Jeez! What an awful story. I'm so glad to hear your friend survived her ordeal.

Alceste

Vagabond
Well at least it is a topic that is an example why feminism is still needed.And of course humanism.But the vast majority of the victims are female. Perps and pimps mostly male.And this is global.Talk about women needing men's help.

That's true, but I have read that male prostitutes experience very similar trauma, exploitation and abuse, although there may be fewer of them percentage-wise. So it isn't STRICTLY a women's issue. It's an "economic exploitation of the desperation of others for sexual or psychological gratification" issue. The risk that you are almost certainly contributing additional trauma to a lifetime of rape and abuse by paying for sex is a good enough ethical reason to abstain. As far as the law is concerned though, it's a touchy subject. We need the best possible laws for the best possible outcome. Prohibition never seems to fit that bill. People keep on doing whatever it is they want to do, but in secrecy. We need to win hearts and minds so that others stop wanting to exploit the desperation of street kids for their own sexual or psychological gratification.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Jeez! What an awful story. I'm so glad to hear your friend survived her ordeal.

She humbles me with her wisdom, her strength, and her compassion. She has her triggers. But she is an amazing woman now with her own family and kids, finished her education, and has a steady job. But she has been deeply committed to helping teen runaways as much as possible, and that's where she volunteers her time. She's told me it helps her heal. I find her as a person who continually inspires me to this day even though I've known her 25+ years.

Alceste

Vagabond
She humbles me with her wisdom, her strength, and her compassion. She has her triggers. But she is an amazing woman now with her own family and kids, finished her education, and has a steady job. But she has been deeply committed to helping teen runaways as much as possible, and that's where she volunteers her time. She's told me it helps her heal. I find her as a person who continually inspires me to this day even though I've known her 25+ years.

A phoenix from the flames.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
So it isn't STRICTLY a women's issue.

No I do not believe it is a "strictly" women's issue.Just by far more females are victimized/exploited.My concern and sympathy however goes equally out to the boys and men victims.The fact this happens to ANYONE makes me angry and sad.

Alceste

Vagabond
No I do not believe it is a "strictly" women's issue.Just by far more females are victimized/exploited.My concern and sympathy however goes equally out to the boys and men victims.The fact this happens to ANYONE makes me angry and sad.

Yes, me too. This **** should not be happening to anyone, anywhere, ever.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Thirteen is old enough to know better unless you're an idiot, so I stand by my statement.

I understand that you unfortunately stand by your view, but I sincerely hope no person, about whom you care, ever finds themselves in any such situation. Do you realize with your philosophy you encourage silence by shame?

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus
Thats irrelevant. That law is wrong.

People can know enough about what sex entails to give consent at that age, and they can ignore enough to not give informed consent at 18 depending on who are we talking about specifically.

I find the idea that I wasnt able to consent to sex at my 13 to be very naive.

Exactly. By the time you're a teenager, whether or not you want to have sex isn't a skullcracker of a question...

Aquitaine

I understand that you unfortunately stand by your view, but I sincerely hope no person, about whom you care, ever finds themselves in any such situation. Do you realize with your philosophy you encourage silence by shame?

I know right, can you imagine if dispatchers had that mentality?

999 Dispatcher: 999 Emergency?

Caller: Hello, a homeless person has just collapsed on the floor, he's hit his head.

999 Dispatcher: Have you tried telling him to get a job and stop being lazy?

Caller: No, I think he's unconscious.

999 Dispatcher: GOOD! That'll teach him, the lazy sod!

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus
I know right, can you imagine if dispatchers had that mentality?

999 Dispatcher: 999 Emergency?

Caller: Hello, a homeless person has just collapsed on the floor, he's hit his head.

999 Dispatcher: Have you tried telling him to get a job and stop being lazy?

Caller: No, I think he's unconscious.

999 Dispatcher: GOOD! That'll teach him, the lazy sod!

Is 999 like the Australian 911?

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
I think this guy gives a perfect example of why feminism is still needed:
Dustin Hoffman Breaks Down Crying Explaining Something That Every Woman Sadly Already Experienced

Men don't have to worry about being passed over for anything simply because they're not "pretty enough" That isn't to say that a man will never be passed over based on appearances, however it's not anywhere near as frequent and thus doesn't have to be a conscious concern for them. If you need further evidence of this then just look in on just about any fighting game roster or superhero team and you will see a wide variety of sizes and shapes for male characters with various clothing styles, whereas for women there's basically one body type, super model, and even fully clothed the clothing is designed to be as tight as possible to show off the body shape regardless of practicality.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I think this guy gives a perfect example of why feminism is still needed:
Dustin Hoffman Breaks Down Crying Explaining Something That Every Woman Sadly Already Experienced

Men don't have to worry about being passed over for anything simply because they're not "pretty enough" That isn't to say that a man will never be passed over based on appearances, however it's not anywhere near as frequent and thus doesn't have to be a conscious concern for them. If you need further evidence of this then just look in on just about any fighting game roster or superhero team and you will see a wide variety of sizes and shapes for male characters with various clothing styles, whereas for women there's basically one body type, super model, and even fully clothed the clothing is designed to be as tight as possible to show off the body shape regardless of practicality.

Those clothing choices are hilarious. Basically all a woman's vital organs are completely vulnerable, but at least her breasts have some metal around them.

I also didn't know that the super model / barbie-doll body type was the only way for a woman to be strong, fit, agile, and that can work with edge weapons. :D

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
Those clothing choices are hilarious. Basically all a woman's vital organs are completely vulnerable, but at least her breasts have some metal around them.

I also didn't know that the super model / barbie-doll body type was the only way for a woman to be strong, fit, agile, and that can work with edge weapons. :D

lol, yeah and I've actually read up on the subject of female armor and it turns out having armor with "boob pockets" is more dangerous because it redirects the force of a blow to the chest to center all on the sternum. A woman would actually be far safer wearing a standard male breastplate.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
If male superheroes were drawn like female superheroes:
Edit: lol, word filter starred out word in image link, breaking it. well it's the first one on the page provided at the bottom
Moderator cut: image removed

from here:
If Male Superheroes Were Drawn Like Female Superheroes

If we find this utterly ridiculous why is it so often not only tolerated but defended by so many in regards to women?

Last edited by a moderator:

Me Myself

Back to my username
Meh.

Fantasy outfits aren't meant to be reasonable.

Kinights with full body armor make moves as if the armor was a spandex suit. I honstly see the "sexualisation" of the female body as a rendering of honor to it, and I do think many times it is.

Batman should wear Ironman suit in the comics. The reason he doesnt is because he, like most other male superheroes, are exposing an "ideal" male body. Females do the same in fiction.

I love the human body, and my appreciation for the male forhas nothign to do with sexual attraction. There is something about it's aesthetic, its flexibility, it is art and function in the same mesh.(<- that last sentece was about the human body in general BTW)

The greeks had lots of naked statues of men anduch more than ose of women. Sure, they saw men sexually, but they also loved its aesthetics and the reason ey cared more about e male figure was that they cared more about males in almost every level (I would say every level except child making)

Sure, a lot of females are shown in sexual poses and such but the shape showing is definetely not the problem in itself, and I think the changes needed are a lot less dramatical than how much some may think.

Just make the charcter interesting. Have some non physically perfect female charcters that are important or have some interesting competences.

Of course, dont expect that in every genre. In my comics, you will find as little unfit women as unfit men, and both display a lot of their bodies by tight spandex or without it.

I honestly dont want Batman to turn into Ironman, and I do know there are a LOT of women who do want their chars to look as sexy and as "sluty" (words by them) as they can.

I ve noticed its like the halloween rule :D

Me Myself

Back to my username
I think what I am trying to say is that I am all for adding variety, adding new kinds of charcters, markets, etc.

I am not however, into unnecessary deomnisation of the market that is simplyecause you want another one,

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
Meh.

Fantasy outfits aren't meant to be reasonable.

Kinights with full body armor make moves as if the armor was a spandex suit. I honstly see the "sexualisation" of the female body as a rendering of honor to it, and I do think many times it is.

Batman should wear Ironman suit in the comics. The reason he doesnt is because he, like most other male superheroes, are exposing an "ideal" male body. Females do the same in fiction.

I love the human body, and my appreciation for the male forhas nothign to do with sexual attraction. There is something about it's aesthetic, its flexibility, it is art and function in the same mesh.(<- that last sentece was about the human body in general BTW)

The greeks had lots of naked statues of men anduch more than ose of women. Sure, they saw men sexually, but they also loved its aesthetics and the reason ey cared more about e male figure was that they cared more about males in almost every level (I would say every level except child making)

Sure, a lot of females are shown in sexual poses and such but the shape showing is definetely not the problem in itself, and I think the changes needed are a lot less dramatical than how much some may think.

Just make the charcter interesting. Have some non physically perfect female charcters that are important or have some interesting competences.

Of course, dont expect that in every genre. In my comics, you will find as little unfit women as unfit men, and both display a lot of their bodies by tight spandex or without it.

I honestly dont want Batman to turn into Ironman, and I do know there are a LOT of women who do want their chars to look as sexy and as "sluty" (words by them) as they can.

I ve noticed its like the halloween rule :D

the problem though is that women are drawn that way solely to titillate the male reader while then men are drawn the way they are to show the male reader how awesome and heroic they are. That's why it's such an issue. When men are drawn the focus is on making them appear strong and heroic, the kind of person the male reader would want to be or fight alongside or fight to protect them. when women are drawn the focus is on sex appeal on making her look like someone the male reader would want to jerk off to and the mentions made of "yeah I'd want her to rescue me" are delivered as inuendos for wanting to have sex with her. Plus it doesn't change the fact that there is a wider variety of male body types portrayed than female body types. Also notice how in both of those cases, for how men and women are drawn, that the focus is male-centric, centered on how the male reader will perceive the character and not on how a female reader will perceive the character or how readers in general will perceive the character. Rarely if ever is the female reader's perspective considered or acknowledged.

And as for halloween sure if a woman wants to run around in a "slutty" costume that's there choice. The problem comes in when you have women like me who don't want to where "slutty" costumes. Do you know how hard it is to find a women's costume that would not fall under the slutty category that ISN't made for children? Maybe it's different where you are but here it's nigh impossible.

It's like people who make these products think that all men want is sex and all women want is to appear sexy for men. Either way the focus is male-centric and is insulting and damaging to both sexes.

Also as an aside batman doesn't wear iron man armor because his fighting techniques rely on agility and stealth, which armor would interfere with, plus from what I hear his suit is actually made out of a special material that makes it bulletproof and what not, but I'm no expert.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
I think what I am trying to say is that I am all for adding variety, adding new kinds of charcters, markets, etc.

I am not however, into unnecessary deomnisation of the market that is simplyecause you want another one,

oh, I'm not seeking to demonize, nor do I think any of the stuff out there currently needs to go away. I'm not necessarily even looking for a reduction, just a wider variety in what's offered and how women are portrayed. I understand aiming for an ideal when it comes to heroes but the thing is there are numerous different ideals that a hero can be designed to aspire to yet when it comes to female characters the ideal focused on is almost always sexiness. I want to see more female characters where the ideal is focused on strength or intelligence. That doesn't mean the other portrayals need to go away, there just needs to be a greater variety and a greater balance. Cause when I go to a comic book store and look for a comic about a female superhero that isn't designed like a masturbation fetish, I don't want to feel like I'm looking for a needle in a haystack.

Me Myself

Back to my username
the problem though is that women are drawn that way solely to titillate the male reader while then men are drawn the way they are to show the male reader how awesome and heroic they are. That's why it's such an issue. When men are drawn the focus is on making them appear strong and heroic, the kind of person the male reader would want to be or fight alongside or fight to protect them. when women are drawn the focus is on sex appeal on making her look like someone the male reader would want to jerk off to and the mentions made of "yeah I'd want her to rescue me" are delivered as inuendos for wanting to have sex with her. Plus it doesn't change the fact that there is a wider variety of male body types portrayed than female body types. Also notice how in both of those cases, for how men and women are drawn, that the focus is male-centric, centered on how the male reader will perceive the character and not on how a female reader will perceive the character or how readers in general will perceive the character. Rarely if ever is the female reader's perspective considered or acknowledged.

And as for halloween sure if a woman wants to run around in a "slutty" costume that's there choice. The problem comes in when you have women like me who don't want to where "slutty" costumes. Do you know how hard it is to find a women's costume that would not fall under the slutty category that ISN't made for children? Maybe it's different where you are but here it's nigh impossible.

It's like people who make these products think that all men want is sex and all women want is to appear sexy for men. Either way the focus is male-centric and is insulting and damaging to both sexes.

Also as an aside batman doesn't wear iron man armor because his fighting techniques rely on agility and stealth, which armor would interfere with, plus from what I hear his suit is actually made out of a special material that makes it bulletproof and what not, but I'm no expert.

Yes it is, so is Batgirl's suit. Hnestly though, the in story logic for his suit is completely silly. I would prefer you just taking my word for it as someone who does like that he is not armored in an ironman way, but has discussed e subject on comicbook forums with other batfans.

I agree about the male gaze, but for example in superhero comics, the amount of unfit men and unfit women is practically cero. I tell you because I ve made a content review about it for a class. Took some comics that I knew displayed both females and males and had to start to count. Almost all of them counted on the "voluptuous" option of body form (both male and female) as the way it was portrayed to be for the content review.

I think a lot more women than men want to have "sexy" as one of their identifiers of an ideal woman or ideal "her" . Generally around top.

I agree in some instances it is ridiculous. I never liked the bathing suit Wonder Woman wears because it is completely out of char in my opinion. I mean its not about showing too much skin, but that thing doesnt seem to reflect greekness at all and she is supposed to be an "amazone" .

I checked the article you linked. I think an important difference is that given that male superheroes were the majority there it was seen much more obviously unnatural the way they were depicted as all showing butt, and you can see that in the real cover, the way Black widow shows her is completely natural and not at all over the top (although of course it must have been intentional) . I love Nightiwng and as an acrobat he does have things that if I was a woman or homosexual I assume I would immidiatly see as "sexy" poses. A lot of panels where he shows his butt in a way not at all less showing that black widow there and many times MORE showing.

Again though, it is more common for a woman to have "sexy" and even "sexually free" as something cool for an anonymous persona (like a superhero persona) . This of course doesnt mean that all female superheroes are to play that. I think catwoman makes sense and so does poison Ivy (never liked catwoman though)

Ironically, if you look at women's magazines, the poses they make are not very far away from the poses in most superheroine covers. Whith some exceptions like Green Lantern up there :D .

The comic industry is responding to the current affair of the market, what it could do is make a superheroine less focused on that, but e thing is that as you may know, the way it works for such industry with artists changing and script writters changing all the time it is hard to be consistent on ANY such change on a single book or hero. All heroes are shown in different aspects depending on who is writting and or drawing.

I think the best that could be done, as I ve said before, is at instead of critisising what is, a support for what we WANT TO BE starts. That is a win win. Women demograpcs that feel thrown off by such displays have new options, and the ones that like them still keep their comics and enjoy a new fandom with more women in it which they will like.

Is my point understandable?