• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Fear of Hell Compatible With Spiritual Growth?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Is fear of hell a sound basis for spiritual growth or a deterrent to it?

Can a person who is moved to adopt a religion out of fear of damnation to hell likely use that religion to become a more loving person?

Does a fear of hell do anything to promote a feeling or sense of connectedness to all things?

In what way, if any, does a fear of hell promote spirituality?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Is fear of hellfire a legitimate basis to adopt a religion in the first place? IF so, why? If not, why not?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
J. Krishnamurti often likened the human condition to someone who was in a house with windows. He asserted that there was no path or way to reach Truth, God or Love since were were in that house. But we could, he claimed, open the windows of that house and wait for Truth, God, or Love to come to us, like a breeze through the windows. Assuming he was onto something, would it be correct to say that a fear of hell prevents us from opening those windows? Can Truth, God, or Love ever come to someone who is fearful? Don't fearful people withdraw into themselves, close the windows of their awareness, and emotionally harden and isolate themselves?

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
I see it only as unhealthy if it remains as the main motivator to your relationship with God. People change and grow and so to in a spiritual way. A response to Love would be the ideal way for people to come to God, but truly God will take the simplest artificial response and make something beautiful out of it.

Granted it can go in an entirely different direction depending on how people respond on a daily basis. The goal is to eventually conquer fear.

1808 Fortitude is the moral virtue that ensures firmness in difficulties and constancy in the pursuit of the good. It strengthens the resolve to resist temptations and to overcome obstacles in the moral life. The virtue of fortitude enables one to conquer fear, even fear of death, and to face trials and persecutions. It disposes one even to renounce and sacrifice his life in defense of a just cause.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Sunstone said:

Can a person who is moved to adopt a religion out of fear of damnation to hell likely use that religion to become a more loving person?

Does a fear of hell do anything to promote a feeling or sense of connectedness to all things?

I think your concept of the cause of spiritual growth is wrong. Spiritual growth comes from the indwelling of the Holy Spirit and the the work of Christ bringing about about fruits of righteousness. The best we can do is resist sin.

Fear of hell may drive someone to Christ and salvation but is not a factor after salvation.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Sunstone said:

A "basis"? No. Living in fear of hell and forgetting about the repentance part can freeze one and prevent growth.

However, fear of hell can be a first step of spiritual growth.

And, as a practical matter, fear of hell prevents some people from doing harmful acts, so in that sense society benefits from the idea.

I've seen it done.

By itself? Probably not. But fear of hell is not usually found in a vacuum either.

It's the primary way my mother approaches spirituality. She'll be the first to tell you, "I need to have my toes stepped on." Her approach to spirituality, and life in general, is very "traditional" (in the Myers-Briggs sense).

But aside from NOT doing harmful acts, because of fear of hell, she also avoids them out of not wanting to disappoint God, and also out of love for Jesus.

Fear of hell is just one part of the picture.

(Obviously, the approach that works for my mother in no way works for me, but if it takes fear of hell to prevent people from stealing my lawnmower, you know, I'm really ok with that. :D)

gnomon

I'm sure it can be so.

If some people feel that hell is an eternal disconnect from God then certainly it can be a motivating factor in their belief.

I guess it all depends upon the individuals definition of hell.

Perhaps I'm just reiterating Booko's statement.

And by the way, welcome back Booko.