• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Everything Alive?

rocala

Hi All

I recently had a conversation with two people of different spiritual traditions. Although differing on much, they both agreed that on a spiritual level, all things are alive. I feel uncomfortable with this. It seems that 'alive' is just another term for existence.

Anyone else's opinions are very welcome.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Hi All

I recently had a conversation with two people of different spiritual traditions. Although differing on much, they both agreed that on a spiritual level, all things are alive. I feel uncomfortable with this. It seems that 'alive' is just another term for existence.

One could simply ask a rock. :)

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Unless we redefine "alive", I would say no. However, some take a different tact and say that all nature reflects God, therefore all is spiritually alive. Is that true, imo? I don't know.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Hi All

You know what? Even as a Mormon, I kind of agree with them. This is definitely NOT a tenet of my religion, but just a kind of a gut feeling I have.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
and if the rock is broken in two?
You could have a chat with both halves in the spirit of diversity. :)

Personally speaking, though, I think most of such sentimental thinking is simply anthropomorphic projection. I think it is an ancient idea that simply refuses to die the death it deserves.

rocala

You know what? Even as a Mormon, I kind of agree with them. This is definitely NOT a tenet of my religion, but just a kind of a gut feeling I have.
I guess we have to disagree on our gut feelings here, but thanks for an intelligent reply.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
What do you mean by alive?
For all scientific purposes, no.

Spiritually, also probably no, but more debatable.
I would agree that for all scientific purposes, no. Something inside of me tells me that everything God created has a spirit. This is not to say that a rock has a human spirit, but just an essence that is something other than its physical composition.

rocala

What do you mean by alive?
For all scientific purposes, no.
Spiritually, also probably no, but more debatable.

Hi, this is my point or rather my difficulty with the discussion. Perhaps it is better to think of water rather than rocks. Is each raindrop alive? What happens when they merge in a drain, then a river, then the sea, then inside of a fish?

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
As an animist, I wrestle with this concept quite a bit. Certainly, in the accepted Western sense, no not everything alive. However, everything is/has spirit--everything is at least potentially a person, even if quite different from human persons. We should therefore at least respect everything.

Sorry, got to go, it's Turkey Time!

GoodbyeDave

In one sense, there's obviously a difference between being alive and being dead. In that sense, a stone is like a corpse rather than a living being. But anything can be a vehicle for a spirit, and in that sense it can be functionally alive. An Anishnaabe elder was asked if rocks were alive, and he replied "No, but some are." He meant that in the correct circumstances - used in a Sweat Lodge - they become vehicles for the ancestors. The image of a god in metal or stone is not alive in the sense that a bird is, but it can be used as a vehicle by the god and one can sense their presence.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I would agree that for all scientific purposes, no. Something inside of me tells me that everything God created has a spirit. This is not to say that a rock has a human spirit, but just an essence that is something other than its physical composition.
While I don't see any spirit behind a rock, it's still more than its physical composition.
It has beauty, utility, & a lengthy interesting history (formation, carried by glaciers, & deposited at my house).
So much is there that I talk to my rocks.....sometimes nicely, other times with vile profanity.
But I never expect an answer.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
While I don't see any spirit behind a rock, it's still more than its physical composition.
It has beauty, utility, & a lengthy interesting history (formation, carried by glaciers, & deposited at my house).
So much is there that I talk to my rocks.....sometimes nicely, other times with vile profanity.
But I never expect an answer.
Well then why in the world do you talk to them? What's the point?