• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is every version of God a God-of-the-gaps?

ruffen

They can explain the physical earth and even it's birth. But metaphysically they will never say why there was a birth to begin with (nor should they). Science will never tell us why we are here.

Solar system accretion, anyone?

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
They can explain the physical earth and even it's birth. But metaphysically they will never say why there was a birth to begin with (nor should they). Science will never tell us why we are here.
You assume we are here for a reason other then the mechanics that brought us about.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Using the mystery (ie. gap in one's knowledge) of consciousness to indicate the presence or work of a deity is another classic God-of-the-gaps.

Rather, it's merely pointing out that science doesn't understand those things and you wrongly said it does.

Tumah

Veteran Member
Perhaps you could explain it more please.

What I was saying is why are the Laws of Physics the way they are. Why shouldn't it be that when I take a step forward, everything brown turns black. Why should there be Laws of Nature? Why shouldn't 1+1+1=1 for everyone? That G-d creates thunder is not something that need contradict science. It is G-d that keeps existence existing and directs the fundamental forces into the various forms that eventually come to thunder. If that is what you are calling the god of the gaps, then I don't see a problem with that.

Sounds like Ra putting Ma'at in place.

Totally over my head.

Iti oj

Premium Member
What I was saying is why are the Laws of Physics the way they are. Why shouldn't it be that when I take a step forward, everything brown turns black. Why should there be Laws of Nature? Why shouldn't 1+1+1=1 for everyone? That G-d creates thunder is not something that need contradict science. It is G-d that keeps existence existing and directs the fundamental forces into the various forms that eventually come to thunder. If that is what you are calling the god of the gaps, then I don't see a problem with that.

Totally over my head.
God as the inherent nature of things?

ruffen

Rather, it's merely pointing out that science doesn't understand those things and you wrongly said it does.

Actually I didn't say that science understands everything, but there is a big difference between unexplained by science and unexplainable by science.

How can one assume that just because science doesn't understand some stuff, then it is unexplainable, and therefore God did it?

If, in a thousand years, scientist understand well and thoroughly and detailed the mechanics behind the Universe coming into existence, abiogenesis, human consciousness etc, then almost all arguments for God's existence today will be just as much God-of-the-gaps as the people using God to explain rainbows a thousand years ago.

So, isn't it time to realize the pattern going on here? ;)

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
neuroscience has already shown that our souls are the direct result of our brains

Here you are stating a theory as an established fact.

My study of the paranormal is what convinced me this is not the case. Something that dramatically does not fit into your worldview is going on.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Actually I didn't say that science understands everything, but there is a big difference between unexplained by science and unexplainable by science.

How can one assume that just because science doesn't understand some stuff, then it is unexplainable, and therefore God did it?

If, in a thousand years, scientist understand well and thoroughly and detailed the mechanics behind the Universe coming into existence, abiogenesis, human consciousness etc, then almost all arguments for God's existence today will be just as much God-of-the-gaps as the people using God to explain rainbows a thousand years ago.

So, isn't it time to realize the pattern going on here? ;)

Too many assumptions and too much arrogance.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
He gave examples and reasons, you have not.

All the examples he gave are irrelevant to all but the most literalistic of theists. Then he went and made a bunch of assumptions that not only will science explain away everything, but that his own concept of philosophical materialism will be proven true.

Iti oj

Premium Member
All the examples he gave are irrelevant to all but the most literalistic of theists. Then he went and made a bunch of assumptions that not only will science explain away everything, but that his own concept of philosophical materialism will be proven true.
can you counter his claims with a rational argument? Also again this thread is about god of the gaps, and what's being presented is just that. You are also deny that we have already made some head way in reagrds to those topics. Also how are his example irrelevant?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member

I think to account for things that are currently referred to as 'paranormal', science of the future will expand to include things we commonly refer to as 'paranormal' now; like soul bodies, super-physical planes of existence, etc.. At that point science will merge with what eastern spiritual masters have been saying all along.

It's all science but the paranormal and spiritual masters have shown me our current science has only gone an inch deep and our universe is a foot deep.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
can you counter his claims with a rational argument? Also again this thread is about god of the gaps, and what's being presented is just that. You are also deny that we have already made some head way in reagrds to those topics. Also how are his example irrelevant?

I don't use the "God of the gaps" fallacy. What I was pointing out was his jumping the gun with his assumptions. But, no. Not every argument for God or concept of God is a "God of the gaps" fallacy. That term came about as a criticism for the way some apologists would argue their case for a deity. In order for the OP to prove his point, he would have to examine every form of theism and see if it fits his claim.

Iti oj

Premium Member
I don't use the "God of the gaps" fallacy. What I was pointing out was his jumping the gun with his assumptions. But, no. Not every argument for God or concept of God is a "God of the gaps" fallacy. That term came about as a criticism for the way some apologists would argue their case for a deity. In order for the OP to prove his point, he would have to examine every form of theism and see if it fits his claim.
Can we use your beliefs and understanding about God as an example? Is your god a god of the gaps? why or why not.