• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is English a metaphorical language?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I guess not,...
I mean...compared to Italian it's a language made up of literal expressions....
You can't even imagine how frustrating it is not to be able to translate the innumerable figures of speech I use when I speak IRL...

Axe Elf

Prophet
It can be, in that metaphors can be expressed in English. It can also be literal.

I don't think metaphors are inherent to any language, per se; they are in how the language is used to express thoughts.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
It can be, in that metaphors can be expressed in English. It can also be literal.

I don't think metaphors are inherent to any language, per se; they are in how the language is used to express thoughts.

Is it right to say "observe the constitution"?
In Italian we use the verb "osservare" not only when we look at something, but also as synonym of "respect a law"
I can go on for hours

Axe Elf

Prophet
In Italian we use the verb "osservare" not only when we look at something, but also as synonym of "respect a law"
I can go on for hours

Yes, we use "observe" in the sense of respecting, fulfilling, or complying with something, as in, "observe the constitution." I wouldn't even call that "metaphorical," in the strict sense.

A metaphorical construction would be something like, "the shadows slinked sensually across the wall."

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Yes, we use "observe" in the sense of respecting, fulfilling, or complying with something, as in, "observe the constitution." I wouldn't even call that "metaphorical," in the strict sense.

A metaphorical construction would be something like, "the shadows slinked sensually across the wall."
ok...thanks...really...It means my thread is very useful-

but we go even further...for example we use, in Romance languages a verb that translates "being born" from Latin nascor...and the verb nasceri is used even when we speak of things or cities...like "Rome was born in 754 BC"

Axe Elf

Prophet

but we go even further...for example we use, in Romance languages a verb that translates "being born" from Latin nascor...and the verb nasceri is used even when we speak of things or cities...like "Rome was born in 754 BC"

One of last year's hit movies was a remake of "A Star is Born," and it had nothing to do with astronomy.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

That is an acceptable, but strange usage. It is more common to say a city was founded than to say it was born. But yes, this can be said and understood.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I can go on for hours

That is a bit of a strange usage, again. It is more common to say, for example, that one observes a code of ethics than that one observes a law. The former is more personal.