• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Einstein in hell for Hiroshima?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I cannot see what Einstein needed to repent of. All he did was warn that the Germans could develop an atom bomb and that the US should therefore try to do so first to pre-empt them. Surely that was wise advice and with nothing immoral about it?
Einstein was a pacifist, thus having a conscience that told him that any contribution that would kill innocent people would be morally wrong. What someone else does that might be morally wrong therefore is not something he felt he could stop.

Or, to put it another way, "two wrongs don't make a right".

syo

Yup, he is in hell. Hell is dysharmony. Nuclear power isn't meant to be released. In Chernobyl, there's new borns with five arms or something. Dysharmony. Einstein is in tartarus to be exact. Fukusima... Hiroshima... Nagasaki... dysharmony.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Einstein was a pacifist, thus having a conscience that told him that any contribution that would kill innocent people would be morally wrong. What someone else does that might be morally wrong therefore is not something he felt he could stop.

Or, to put it another way, "two wrongs don't make a right".

OK fair enough, if he was a strict pacifist I can understand why he might feel that way about it.

However it seems to me the saying "two wrongs don't make a right" is not in fact applicable to this instance.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Einstein didn’t have anything to do with the bomb. Good thing he managed to escape the Nazis though
Even if he was directly responsible for building the bomb, he didn’t drop it on anyone. So no, assuming that hell exists, I don’t think Einstein has to worry
I agree. Nuclear Mechanics has many benefical applications aside from making bombs.

I think war pushes people to do horrible things and those creating the cause are the ones that need looking at.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I agree. Nuclear Mechanics has many benefical applications aside from making bombs.

I think war pushes people to do horrible things and those creating the cause are the ones that need looking at.
Yeah exactly. I mean one could make a better argument against whoever first discovered (or invented rather) gun powder.

Twilight Hue

Yeah exactly. I mean one could make a better argument against whoever first discovered (or invented rather) gun powder.
I'd probably go a little further and look at the first person that intentionally weponized the gunpowder.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
My understanding is that the entire human race is culpable for not establishing world peace. Had it been established, these unimaginable horrors would never have occurred.

Today we are all responsible for establishing peace so this never happens again. But will we take up that responsibility or will another war have to happen before we wake up?

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
My understanding is that the entire human race is culpable for not establishing world peace. Had it been established, these unimaginable horrors would never have occurred.

Today we are all responsible for establishing peace so this never happens again. But will we take up that responsibility or will another war have to happen before we wake up?
I disagree.
I can list a whole lot of people who have hod nothing to do with wars.
Starting with the majority of my neighborhood.

Twilight Hue

I think its because new emerging generations forget what past generations had learned first hand, and the cycle repeats.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
I disagree.
I can list a whole lot of people who have hod nothing to do with wars.
Starting with the majority of my neighborhood.

There is such thing as sins of omission and commission.

That is, it’s not only what we do wrong but what we fail to do that is the cause of the current plight and suffering of humanity.

World peace will not just happen without billions involved in its establishment. If we are doing nothing to establish it and a third war occurs, all humanity is to blame not just the politicians.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
There is such thing as sins of omission and commission.

That is, it’s not only what we do wrong but what we fail to do that is the cause of the current plight and suffering of humanity.

World peace will not just happen without billions involved in its establishment. If we are doing nothing to establish it and a third war occurs, all humanity is to blame not just the politicians.
Oh really?
And what is it, exactly, you think those in my neighborhood should be doing to not be included in your "sins of omission" box?

Audie

Veteran Member

There won't be peace if the religionists keep
trying to push their agendas

PruePhillip

There won't be peace if the religionists keep
trying to push their agendas

At the beginning of the 1900's there was great optimism - monarchy was retreating,
religion was on the decline, there was the rise in materialism and rationalism.
During the 20th Century about quarter of a billion people died in wars, pogroms,
final solutions, gulags and re-education centers. About 95% of this had little to do
with religion.
Today the world's biggest WWIII potentials would be - China and its militarist ambitions,
and Russia testing the West.
Stalin studied for the ministry, Lenin and Hitler's parents were devout Christians, Pol
Pot and Mao came from Buddhist backgrounds.
How is it possible you think 'religionists' are responsible for the wars of the world?

Clara Tea

Einstein didn’t have anything to do with the bomb. Good thing he managed to escape the Nazis though
Even if he was directly responsible for building the bomb, he didn’t drop it on anyone. So no, assuming that hell exists, I don’t think Einstein has to worry
Einstein famously wrote a letter to President FDR suggesting that the US makes an effort to make the atomic bomb, but he grew to regret his suggestion.

Physics students and graduates have to grapple with the consequences of their work. Often the work of scientists ends up in the hands of politicians (who order their military to use it).

After John Podesta got his email hacked (revealing private matters of Hillary Clinton, whose campaign he was managing), Hillary raged at Russia and threatened them with nukes. One must temper rage if one is to control nukes.

You are right, however, that Einstein had initially pooh poohed the idea of quantum mechanics (claiming that God didn't play dice with the universe). Quantum mechanics is about matter being made of light of random position (still in the same energy level).

Later Einstein accepted quantum mechanics and actually contributed to it (Bose-Einstein statistics).

The Einstein Podolski Rosen Paradox modified the Heisenburg Uncertainty Principle from "random" to "random and statistically independent" variables. The argument goes like this: Suppose a row of "spin 1" particles was split randomly, so that the top was a set of random spins, then the bottom (which is 1- the top spin). This means that the bottom row is also random. But, clearly the top row is statistically dependent on the bottom row.

The fictional Einstein Podolski Rosen Bridge (from the TV show sliders) was the justification for sliding to parallel dimensions (remember, it is fiction). So, don't confuse the two.