• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Easter

Yes, it's ultra pagan.

At the Council of Nicaea, after inventing the Bible, Emperor Constantine decided to copy the English festival of Eostre after hiring a firm of management consultants to create a promotional strategy for his new religion.

They suggested using chocolate eggs and bunnies because these were super pagan and pagans joined any religion with chocolate eggs and bunnies.

In summary, it's more pagan than Thor playing tennis with Zeus.

Last edited:

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
No, it is not. From a write-up I did to a group of new Pagans claiming that the holidays were stolen:

Ostara is a modern holiday. There is no historical basis for anything that is observed and has been constructed of the holiday, and factually the Christian Easter came first. It is very possible that Easter gets its name from Ēostre, who is purported to be a Saxon goddess, yet this is just as likely a poetic invention of Bede as he is the sole source of attestation for the goddess. What is factually known is that the Saxon month that Pascha or Easter is celebrated in was called Ēosturmōnaþ.

In Medieval Europe it was believed that hares (rabbits) could reproduce asexually, and thus became a symbol not of fertility, but Virgin Birth. Eggs are a symbol of rebirth in many cultures, and this was shared by Christianity as early as the 1st Century CE. It is commonly argued that the date of Easter is Pagan in nature, given its proximity to the Equinox and the full moon, but it is in fact based on the date and placement of Passover in the Jewish calendar, which is a lunar calendar.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Yes, it's ultra pagan.

At the Council of Nicaea, after inventing the Bible, Emperor Constantine decided to copy the English festival of Eostre after hiring a firm of management consultants to create a promotional strategy for his new religion.

They suggested using chocolate eggs and bunnies because these were super pagan and pagans joined any religion with chocolate eggs and bunnies.

I think you may have scrambled your eggs from doing the bunny hop too long. Is that chocolate all over your face?
330328876_724286019351682_2033297090522917793_n.jpg

Muffled

Jesus in me
If you have it like a pagan.

I believe the Pagan roots are lost on most people and it just becomes something cultural.

I believe people who are aware of Pagan things are more likely celebrating the spring equinox.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Yes, it's ultra pagan.

Mostly not true, but I'm not going to debate this again.:emojconfused:

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Most didn't start with Christianity, so what would the origins? Are we using the term pagan incorrectly? We do tend to do things like that.
By "pagan" I am meaning pre-Christian cultural faiths and practices.

Let's start this way; what holidays do you believe came before Christianity and were "stolen"?

Last edited: