• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Easter Pagan? Why celebrate it?

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I do wonder without the Bible how does one have that emotional connection to the then unknown.
The Pharisees were sincere, but they were really sincerely wrong as per Matthew 15:9
If we put emotion over the teachings of Jesus were does that leave us.
With an emotional connection to the Divine.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I find the day before the Sabbath came to be termed as preparation as Mark informs us at Mark 15:42.
Jewish preparation day would end at Sundown of what we call today as Friday.
In chronological order, Sabbath would be from evening to evening.
Jesus and those dying with him were on the afternoon ' of ' preparation.
The day that was soon to begin at sundown was a regular Sabbath.
Sabbath because of being Nisan 15 (Leviticus 23:5-7)
The day ' before ' the Sabbath was termed as preparation as per Exodus 16:22-27.
* Thus, a regular Sabbath was now a GREAT Sabbath as per John 19:31; John 19:42; Mark 15:42-43; Luke 23:54.
Jesus had celebrated the Passover the night before - Luke 22:15; Matthew 26:18-20; Mark 14:14-17
So, Christ perfectly carried out the regulation of the law's requirements to celebrate the Passover on Nisan 14.
( Nisan 14 Exodus 12:6 )
For that matter, the whole festival itself was included in the term Passover.
* The day after Nisan 14 was always a Sabbath.
* However, this Nisan 15 fell on a regular Saturday Sabbath, thus making it a GREAT or a 'double' Sabbath.
So, it was the preparation 'OF' the Passover, and Not 'FOR' the Passover.
That's not how it really works, since anyone who is an observant Jew well knows that the "preparation day" precedes the first day of Pesach. Thus, John's account is far more likely than what's found in the synoptic gospels. And supporting this is that the Sanhedrin met, according to the gospels, which they cannot do on Pesach.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
That's not how it really works, since anyone who is an observant Jew well knows that the "preparation day" precedes the first day of Pesach. Thus, John's account is far more likely than what's found in the synoptic gospels. And supporting this is that the Sanhedrin met, according to the gospels, which they cannot do on Pesach.
Yes, it is illegal to hold a trial on the night of Passover, but this does Not deter the Sanhedrin from pursuing their wicked purpose.
Remember they were Not an un-biased group.
After Jesus resurrected his dead friend, the supreme court / Sanhedrin decided that Jesus should die - John 11:47-53 and also his resurrected friend to be put to death - John 12:10.
Days earlier the religious leaders were already conspiring to seize and kill Jesus - Matthew 26:3-4.
So, even before any 'legal trial' Jesus was already as good as dead to them.
Because of their 'illegal meeting' those of the Sanhedrin try hard to find witnesses who will give false evidence.
The many they find do Not help them because those testimonies are Not in agreement - Mark 14:57-59.
After Caiaphas rips his garments the Sanhedrin hands down Jesus' an unjust death judgement - Matthew 26:65-66.
We can see just how early in the morning that illegal night trial ended at John 18:24-27 ( at the crowing of the cock ).
So, what we see in the scene is Jesus being treated with abuse at that -> illegal night time trial !
Remember: those wicked leaders were: law breakers.

Muffled

Jesus in me
There are many people who have a zeal for God but lack accurate Bible knowledge.
There is No Scripture teaching to celebrate God resurrecting Jesus.
Plus, she probably doesn't know the word Easter is Not a biblical word. Easter means resurrection of spring.
Just as her birthday does Not always come on a Sunday, the resurrection of Jesus is Not always Sunday.
Jesus died on the Jewish calendar date of Nisan 14 (Friday) and resurrected on Nisan 16 (Sunday)
The following year that anniversary date (Nisan 16) would Not have been on a Sunday.
We do find in Scripture what Jesus wanted was a remembrance of his day of death - Luke 22:19.
So, what we should never forget is the Nisan 14 is about remembering Jesus' gift (His life for us).

I don't think there is a scripture that mandates how we should mourn either. The reality is that I believe I don't need scripture to tell me how to celebrate or mourn. Do you think the fact that Jesus rose from the dead is not worth celebrating? If I can celebrate eating chocolate isn't the resurrection a great deal better than that?

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I don't think there is a scripture that mandates how we should mourn either. The reality is that I believe I don't need scripture to tell me how to celebrate or mourn. Do you think the fact that Jesus rose from the dead is not worth celebrating? If I can celebrate eating chocolate isn't the resurrection a great deal better than that?
Jesus happily celebrated the Passover feast before he died, there was No mourning happening that night.
By doing the remembrance of Luke 22:19 does Not have to mean mourning.
We remember that Jesus' death is the ransom price to free us for: everlasting life - Matthew 20:28.
With everlasting life we can enjoy eating chocolate forever and ever. All made possible by Jesus' faithful death.
Without his unselfish faithful death there would be No resurrection for him or us.