• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Earthseed A "Humanism" Group

godischange

My religion, based on a book by Octavia E. Butler :rolleyes: is about how "god" is change. It's not an existential god, and the main belief is that knowledge and education are essentials for survival. Earthseed believes there is no afterlife or reincarnation, but rather we live forever through the memories we leave behind. I think it would be a religious humanism group because it has ceremonies, but it is also sort of naturistic? because the death ritual involves combining the ashes with the soil... So what is Earthseed? I've heard that it's similar to individual taoism? Can someone help me? I'm not eager for a label, but if I had one, I might better be able to spread and define my ideas. Visit my website for more info. Click here

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Well, humanism emphasizes the dignity and worth of the individual. A basic premise of humanism is that people are rational beings who possess within themselves the capacity for truth and goodness. So, from what I read on your website, you could say your group has humanistic values.

arkuat

Consider: Whether you're a human being, an insect, a microbe, or a stone, this verse is true.
All that you touch
You Change.

All that you Change
Changes you.

The only lasting truth
Is Change.

God
Is Change.

The above is quoted from Butler's novel /The Parable of the Sower/. I was interested to see a wikipedia claim that "Only by conscious effort can they [followers of the Earthseed religion] avoid being God's victims."