• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is "Devil Worship" another Abrahamic faith?

Draka

Wonder Woman
There are people who actually worship the Abrahamic biblical entity known as "Satan" or "The Devil". Now, would not those people fall under the heading of Abrahamic and their faith/religion also be considered an Abrahamic religion just like Christianity and Islam and Judaism?

Mind you, I'm not talking about what is known today as Neo-Satanism or the like. I'm talking strictly about actual worship and following of the theistic entity "Satan" or "The Devil".

I've seen people try to say that worshiping Satan is Paganism, but Paganism includes religions and pantheons not of the Abrahamic pantheon. Since Satan belong to the Abrahamic pantheon and mythology...then shouldn't worship of said entity be claimed as Abrahamic, and NOT Pagan?

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
There are people who actually worship the Abrahamic biblical entity known as "Satan" or "The Devil". Now, would not those people fall under the heading of Abrahamic and their faith/religion also be considered an Abrahamic religion just like Christianity and Islam and Judaism?

Mind you, I'm not talking about what is known today as Neo-Satanism or the like. I'm talking strictly about actual worship and following of the theistic entity "Satan" or "The Devil".

I've seen people try to say that worshiping Satan is Paganism, but Paganism includes religions and pantheons not of the Abrahamic pantheon. Since Satan belong to the Abrahamic pantheon and mythology...then shouldn't worship of said entity be claimed as Abrahamic, and NOT Pagan?
It wasn't started by Abraham or one of his descendants, so no.

Draka

Wonder Woman
It wasn't started by Abraham or one of his descendants, so no.

First off, how would one claim to know that? Secondly, the being in question is only found in the Abrahamic faiths, so how could worship of said entity not also be connected to Abrahamic faiths?

Trey of Diamonds

If the so called Devil Worshipper believed he/she was worshipping Satan in direct contrast to Yahweh then yep, they are as Abrahamic as you can get.

An few additional questions: Are there Jewish, Christian and Islamic versions of Satanism? If a Satanists also believes that Christ was God's son on Earth would that make him a Christian Satanist? Do Muslim Satanists worship Shaitan making it Shaitanism instead?

Me Myself

Back to my username
Yeah it makes sense to me.

Devil Worship is an abrahamic faith, because a lot of followers of abraham sure have faith that most that don´t believe as them are devil worshippers!

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
But it does relate to an entity that only exists in the Abrahamic faiths.
Yes, but it still isn't created by Abraham or his descendants. That is one of the major keys here. Satanism doesn't have a common origin with Abraham or the like. It is a religion mixed with this idea of Satan, as well as in some cases, pagan ideas or deities, and mixed into a new belief.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Would you care to make an actual response that requires actual thought and explanation and reasoning? Just wondering.
I was quite serious and could care less if you understand or agree with the response. There are, in fact, people who play at theology, creating shallow charicatures of religion as a form of counter-cultural expression. In my opinion it is juvenile at best and shows enormous disrespect for theology and scholarship alike.

Trey of Diamonds

I was quite serious and could care less if you understand or agree with the response. There are, in fact, people who play at theology, creating shallow charicatures of religion as a form of counter-cultural expression. In my opinion it is juvenile at best and shows enormous disrespect for theology and scholarship alike.

I agree that this happens but to dismiss all as such is also shallow and disrespectful.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
First off, how would one claim to know that? Secondly, the being in question is only found in the Abrahamic faiths, so how could worship of said entity not also be connected to Abrahamic faiths?
I didn't say it wasn't connected with Abrahamic faiths, just that it doesn't have its origins with Abraham.

More so, many Satanic faiths have incorporated Pagan ideas into their faith, and really don't worship Satan, but a Pagan god Pan. It's called Satanism simply because that is what others have labeled it.

As for the Satanists who worship Satan, it really is something more modern. We can see that it doesn't go back to Abraham (who doesn't have an idea of Satan. Satan really doesn't appear, as we know him now, until sometime around the rise of Christianity (it is quite complicated actually). So it is a late idea.

Being associated with the Abrahamic faiths does not mean one is part of the Abrahamic faiths though. Also, the idea of God, and worship of God is important in Abrahamic faiths as well.

Trey of Diamonds

Yes, but it still isn't created by Abraham or his descendants. That is one of the major keys here. Satanism doesn't have a common origin with Abraham or the like. It is a religion mixed with this idea of Satan, as well as in some cases, pagan ideas or deities, and mixed into a new belief.

The OP said to disregard Neo-Paganism so don't throw that out to try and muddy the water.

Abrahamic refers to the God of Abraham, not religions created by Abraham and his decendants. Satan is a part of Abraham's God's belief system and is by default a part of the Abrahamic faith.

Draka

Wonder Woman

You mean trying to pass off and depict the worship of an Abrahamic entity as that which is of another belief system entirely? I'd have to agree then. It is rather dishonest to not claim an entity as your own when it so clearly belongs to your belief system all in an attempt to distance oneself.

CynthiaCypher

Sure it was. It is part of Christianity. It is just a split from the Christian church. It still has the same history.

Martin Luther nor any of the protestant reformers were descendents of Abraham. Like you said if it wasn't founded by Abraham or his descendents then it's not Abrahamic

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Of course it was so yes.
No it wasn't. You have to look at the history of Satanism. Most Satanists wouldn't (I really don't know if any would) label themselves as an Abrahamic faith. Most Satanists see it as unrelated to other religions.

They don't worship the god of Abraham, they don't see Abraham as a spiritual father. That would disqualify them as being of the Abrahamic faith. Unless you want to consider the idea so broadly, that anyone taking ideas from the Bible are part of the Abrahamic faith, and then you run into the problem that some Hindus even have accepted Jesus into their pantheon and regard him as the same avatar as Vishnu. So would these Hindus be part of the Abrahamic faith? Of course not.

More so, most forms of Satanism don't have only their roots in the Abrahamic faiths. That is where the history comes into play. One will see that many Satanists adopt ideas from various Pagan ideas and deities as well, such as Pan.