• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Deuteronomy 18:18 Jesus?

firedragon

Veteran Member
I will raise up for them a prophet from among their countrymen like you(Moses), and I will put My words in his mouth, and he shall speak to them everything that I command him.

Why I believe Deuteronomy 18:18 is Jesus:

1. Both Moses and Jesus were born when Israel was under bondage, Moses in Egypt and Jesus during the Roman bondage of Israel.
  2. Moses' first miracle was to turn water into blood(Exodus 7:20), Jesus' first miracle was to turn water into wine(John 4:46).
  3. Both had seventy helpers, Moses(Numbers 11:16), Jesus(Luke 10:1).
  4. Both fasted 40 days and 40 nights in the desert, Moses(Exodus 34:28), Jesus(Matthew 4:2).
  5. Both faces shone on the mountain, Moses(Exodus 34:29), Jesus(Matthew 17:2).
  6. Both brought a new covenant, Moses the covenant of the law and Jesus the covenant of grace, see John 1:17.
  7. Both brought salvation, Moses saved the people of Israel out of Egypt and Jesus saves people out of eternal punishment through his death on the cross.
  8. Both are children of Israel and prophets.
  9. Moses gave water from the rock, Jesus is the rock and the water.
  10. Moses brought the first Holy Priest, Jesus is the last Holy Priest.
  11. Moses brought the law, Jesus fulfilled the law.

Everyone can make up many excuses to by hook or crook make it fit anyone. This is the same effort. Even the Gospel writers after Jesus passed may have tried to do that. But have you thought of the differences between the theology of Moses vs the theology of the post athanasian Christianity?

Teritos

Jesus didn't send out plagues on whole populations, nor cursed them with the death of their firstborn. Even when his disciples wanted to cause fire to rain down on the towns that rejected him, Jesus rebuked his disciples, essentially saying, "What kind of person do you think I am?" Luke 9:51-56
Jesus is the image of grace, therefore he blessed and healed the wicked.
Moses is the image of the law, therefore he brought judgment and destruction.
Jesus turned water into wine because he is the grace.
Moses turned water into blood because he is the law and therefore the terror.
See John 1:17.

But as I said, the time of grace is soon over, and as we see in Revelation, Jesus will come as judge.

Teritos

This is unsubstantiated. The only place that says this is the NT.
This is a matter of faith, I believe the Bible is the truth.
And not even stated in any work authored by Paul himself. And suspiciously only mentioned in a book written several decades after the death of Rabban Gamliel.
Acts was written decades after the death of Gamliel by the person who authored Luke. Why didn't Paul ever state this key fact in any of his own letters?
The speaker in Acts of the Apostles 22:3 is Paul himself, it is in the first person. But if that is not enough, see Philippians 3:5, circumcised the eighth day, of the nation of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; as to the Law, a Pharisee
He says that he was a Pharisee, so it is not unlikely that he was also taught by Gamaliel.
Also shouldn't it be Jesus, according to him? :confused:
Jesus is of course the greatest teacher, he is God himself. Gamaliel is considered the most important rabbi by Jews who do not believe in Jesus. But I believe that Gamaliel became a Christian, his speech in the Acts of the Apostles 5 is a hint to this, he knew Jesus is the truth, therefore he helped his followers.

Last edited:

Teritos

Why I don't believe it is about Jesus:

Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Daniel, Hosea, Joel, Amos, Obadiah, Jonah, Micah, Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah, Haggai, Zechariah, and Malachi.

Yahweh raised up all these men and put words into all their mouths and they spoke everything Yahweh commanded them.
?
I do not understand your statement, for Jesus is Yahweh himself. The name Jesus means "Yahweh saves".
And Jesus said that he is Yahweh who sent the prophets to Israel, see Matthew 23:37.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
The speaker in Acts of the Apostles 22:2 is Paul himself, it is in the first person. But if that is not enough, see Philippians 3:5, circumcised the eighth day, of the nation of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; as to the Law, a Pharisee
He says that he was a Pharisee, so it is not unlikely that he was also taught by Gamaliel.
Acts and the Gospel of Luke make up a two-part work, Luke–Acts, by the same anonymous author, usually dated to around 80–90 AD, although some experts now suggest 90–110
Acts of the Apostles - Wikipedia

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
So how can a Messianic king bear the sins of His people?
Is that your definition of redeemer? If so, then I take back what I said. The Mashiach is not a redeemer, per your understanding. He brings about the redemption which is a process that includes bringing back all of the Jews to the Land of Israel, building the Third Temple, instituting a halachic state led by the Davidic lineage here in Israel, and fighting off Israel's enemies.

PruePhillip

Is that your definition of redeemer? If so, then I take back what I said. The Mashiach is not a redeemer, per your understanding. He brings about the redemption which is a process that includes bringing back all of the Jews to the Land of Israel, building the Third Temple, instituting a halachic state led by the Davidic lineage here in Israel, and fighting off Israel's enemies.

Like this? "and he shall speak peace to the nations;
his rule shall be from sea to sea,
and from the River to the ends of the earth."

PruePhillip

Our (Nation of Israel) blood, from circumcision, and the covenant (that really is a series of covenants) that we have with God.

I thought the blood of the covenant was the lamb which was slain and its blood
daubed upon the lintel? Hardly see a bleeding penis as being the blood covenant.

PruePhillip

You thought wrong. Where does the term "covenant" appear in Exodus 12?

In Egypt the Hebrews sheltered under the blood of the lamb.
Even Moses, perhaps the first born in his own family, was so
sheltered when all the first born in Egypt died.

SeekingAllTruth

?
The name Jesus means "Yahweh saves".

??????????
1j2kh57pkm9sl.png

Where in the name of all that's sacred did you get that????!

"Jesus' name in Hebrew was “Yeshua” which translates to English as Joshua."

Origin of Everything | What Was Jesus' Real Name? | Season 1 | Episode 33

In case you didn't know, yahweh was a minor deity in the Canaanite religion which the Hebrews adopted as their major deity along with Asherah, his wife. Yes, God had a wife in the early Hebrew history. You can find Asherah in the Bible. later they divorced Asherah from Yahweh by dropping her from their worship card.