• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Cultural Appropriation Such a Bad Thing?

Father

Devourer of Truth
Wow!

"they play that card"......that meant so much!

"they had 10 large empires...".......Europe had more and the slaughtered themselves to ****.

Your stupidity is a constant amusement but it's time this drunk ***......continually pissing on what you think you know......goes to bed.

Good night.

Racist idiot.

"they slaughtered themselves too" yes they did. so did the middle east. so did Asia. china use to look like the map of Europe with many borders. and out of all of that. africa. still can't seem to win, they had resources. enough so to build empires. they had time. more time than anyone else they are the oldest. and THEY still lost. the more information you feed me the more it strengthens my point. if they had all cards on hand and still lost. than that states less about environment and more about the people as a whole
giphy.gif
Want to play again?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
But to the OP, people should not have such thin skins.

A number of years ago I ate at a "Tex-Mex" restaurant in Tokyo run by Nigerians. If there was ever a case of culinary cultural appropriate it was this. I thought it was a fun experience.

There is a line where someone mocks another culture by using some of its symbols, but that's not "appropriation" but lack of good taste at least if not outright bigotry.

gnomon

"they slaughtered themselves too" yes they did. so did the middle east. so did Asia. china use to look like the map of Europe with many borders. and out of all of that. africa. still can't seem to win, they had resources. enough so to build empires. they had time. more time than anyone else they are the oldest. and THEY still lost. the more information you feed me the more it strengthens my point. if they had all cards on hand and still lost. than that states less about environment and more about the people as a whole
giphy.gif
Want to play again?
You posted an outdated meme and ask if I want to play again?

edit: There are levels of sorry......everyone who knows me I'm a level of sorry......but this?

gnomon

Is cultural appropriation in and of itself such a bad thing? Why or why not?

In my opinion, the notion that cultural appropriation in and of itself is a bad thing is ridiculous. It fails to take into account a number of issues. Among those issues: If cultural appropriation were wholly bad, we would need to declare bad any ideas that were born of the an interaction between cultures.

For instance, the transistor radio. The transistor was invented in America, and then appropriated and adapted by the Japanese to create easily portable radios. If that was bad, then why was it bad?

Again many ethnic foods in America are appropriated from other cultures, then adapted to American tastes. If that's bad, why is it bad?

Sorry for the distraction.

All culture in the modern day, at the extent of being offensive, is appropriated which includes religions such as Christainity, Judaism, Hinduism, etc.

Every society is building upon that which they learned or took from another culture.

As far as recent cultural phenomenon's it is recognized that rock and roll is a combination of African music with Northern European music.

Should we be obsessed about the skin color of an American playing jazz, rock or pop?

Food's like pizza which we recognize today are different from traditional ideas of pizza that you would find in Italy and Greece. Peppers used in Thai and other Southeastern Asian recipes are derived from the Dutch bringing spices from South America to those nations.

We should not worry about cultural appropriation. The mixing of cultural ideals has been a benefit since Sargon was the first empire builder and he sent out emissaries to learn about the various cultures of his empire.

Culture is an ongoing evolving concept and anyone declaring that a specific group has a hold upon a specific ideal only holds back the progress that brings the diverse concepts together to understand each other. Never mind the fact that there is no actual concept that a particular group of people have a sole ownership of a particular concept.

More important is that one's cultural identity is how you are raised. It has very little do with one's ethnic identity but more importantly with one's identity based upon your peers, your parentage, etc.

So no.......I don't adhere to the idea of cultural appropriation. You have to understand the individual in every aspect to understand another person.

Your self identification as "devourer of truth" seems appropriate. I found 10 in 15 seconds with one google search

https://listverse.com/2016/07/15/10-african-civilizations-more-amazing-than-ancient-egypt/

I know it's not your list and you are not at fault for its content (9/10 things were relevant for the point you were making anyway), but whoever wrote it describing Carthage as an 'African' civilisation is anachronistic.

Incorrectly using modern political geography to discuss ancient societies gives a very misleading view of the historical development of people and cultures (and is a bit of a bugbear of mine).

Far more useful than terms like 'Africa', Europe', the people were really Mediterranean, similar to people from Southern Italy, to Greece, to 'Turkey' to Palestine.

We now think of people from North Africa as being very different from people in Southern Europe, but in ancient times they were far more similar to each other than the Greek was to the German, of the Cartheginian was to the Sub-Saharan African.

This is why many 'Arabs' in places like Syria and Lebanon, 'Jews', 'Turks' and 'Greeks' are almost ethnically identical. Yet we consider them to be completely different because of modern, artificial political boundaries. So you can get an 'Arab' and a 'Greek' who are far more closely related than the 'Arab' is to non-Mediterranean Arabs, and the 'European' is to non-Mediterranean Europeans.

Grouping Carthage with 9 sub-Saharan African Empires doesn't make much historical sense though and could better be considered 'cultural appropriation' than most of the things some people get worked up about.

Father

Devourer of Truth
@Father you really need to just tell people you have some racial prejudices...
wouldn't it be called racism? not prejudice? I mean if you are using the SJW definition racism is power and prejudice and I am whiter than snow. though it's not really racism I just dislike African-Americans . not blacks. I've actually had a lot of good discussion with some black Europeans. it's more so just the ones I've got here I don't like. even then that statement is a large assumption as there are a handful of middle-class African-Americans who are far more tolerable than midwesterner's
what is Prejudice against ethnicity called?

Much of it could probably be better described as learning. People see things that they like and the copy them, it is one of the most natural things that you can do. The idea that we should live worse lives by banning ourselves from certain things simply because someone has constructing a wholly artificial sense of cultural ownership of something is ridiculous.

It also only recognising a limited type of diversity (particularly white v non-white), which is arguably racist. Saying only 'black' or 'Native American' people can do certain things erases the diversity within these groups and also erases the degree of cultural interaction between people throughout history.

Saying that we can learn from each other, or admire things about cultures to the point that we wish to adopt them ourselves is a good thing. All cultures do this.

Of course common decency means we should be culturally sensitive to those around us, but reification of ethno-cultural identities and assigning exclusive ownership to arbitrary groups is harmful.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
wouldn't it be called racism? not prejudice? I mean if you are using the SJW definition racism is power and prejudice and I am whiter than snow. though it's not really racism I just dislike African-Americans . not blacks. I've actually had a lot of good discussion with some black Europeans. it's more so just the ones I've got here I don't like. even then that statement is a large assumption as there are a handful of middle-class African-Americans who are far more tolerable than midwesterner's

"A racial prejudice is a negative attitude towards a group of people based on race — not on direct knowledge or experience. If you prejudice someone, you cause them to have a negative attitude towards someone else."

Father

Devourer of Truth
"A racial prejudice is a negative attitude towards a group of people based on race — not on direct knowledge or experience. If you prejudice someone, you cause them to have a negative attitude towards someone else."
nope, not on race. unless the human race counts. I have ethnic prejudice as I think throwing people into something as small as 3-4 categories is stupid and flawed. look at someone Japanese vs Korean vs Chinese. there is clear physical difference's most cant spot them but they themselves can tell. the eyes give it away. same for Europeans only a bit easier there if you yourself are white

Prestor John

In my opinion, the notion that cultural appropriation in and of itself is a bad thing is ridiculous. It fails to take into account a number of issues. Among those issues: If cultural appropriation were wholly bad, we would need to declare bad any ideas that were born of the an interaction between cultures.

For instance, the transistor radio. The transistor was invented in America, and then appropriated and adapted by the Japanese to create easily portable radios. If that was bad, then why was it bad?

Again many ethnic foods in America are appropriated from other cultures, then adapted to American tastes. If that's bad, why is it bad?
No. It's not bad. We are free. God made us free.

Jumi

Cultural appropriation is natural. It has always happened. To try to make someone guilty about it, is just misplaced pride or desire to insult.

Vee

Premium Member

´
A bad thing? I don't think so, on the contrary. When put to good use, it's a fantastic thing. The examples you gave are a clear proof of that.

Sakeenah

"Every miserable fool who has nothing at all of which he can be proud, adopts as a last resource pride in the nation to which he belongs; he is ready and happy to defend all its faults and follies tooth and nail, thus reimbursing himself for his own inferiority."
( Arthur Schopenhauer)

Prestor John

it would be bit ironic if a Morman had an issue with it. after all, Mormonism is built upon the new testament aka the Catholic church which is built on the old testament or Judaism.
Truth is truth, no matter where it comes from or when it was revealed.

The idea that "Mormonism" would believe in and teach what they consider to be the truth is not cultural appropriation.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

I don't think we can generalise this, but that if we have the notion to then we need to analyse each individual situation on it's own merit. Ask why, what is the purpose, is any harm being done, etc.

gnomon

It is thieverary and fakeness.

How is that? Any argument?

What is?

How is it that individuals who fail to meet a stereotype adhere to the culture that they appear to be?

Where is the thievery in people wishing to learn about others and incorporating such in their own individual selves?

Last edited: