• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Cultural Appropriation Such a Bad Thing?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Is cultural appropriation in and of itself such a bad thing? Why or why not?

In my opinion, the notion that cultural appropriation in and of itself is a bad thing is ridiculous. It fails to take into account a number of issues. Among those issues: If cultural appropriation were wholly bad, we would need to declare bad any ideas that were born of the an interaction between cultures.

For instance, the transistor radio. The transistor was invented in America, and then appropriated and adapted by the Japanese to create easily portable radios. If that was bad, then why was it bad?

Again many ethnic foods in America are appropriated from other cultures, then adapted to American tastes. If that's bad, why is it bad?

Father

Devourer of Truth
ironic. extremely. overly. completely funny and hilarious. that the ones pointing out "Cultural Appropriation" are appropriating all that MY people built. not you personally but to the Libtards and I rarely use that insult. on the left whom namely those of a darker persuasion who think of this crap to hide their inferiority complex, and I say of a darker persuasion as any white or Asian person who makes the argument that its a bad thing is a complete disgrace, and dishonor's all they are. as for those who come up with these nonexistent issues. they just sit around complaining about appropriation while living and using virtually everything MY people invented. not even appropriated. that which we have appropriated on any grounds would be of Eastern Influence. and they did the same to us.

now onto your question. the answer is a solid NO it is not a bad thing. its why Europe became the pinacol of progress while Africa is as it always is a festering welt of wasted resources. it's due to the conflicts of war. conquest. and appropriation that we have the glorious civilizations we have now. it's through the taking of other's ideas and adding to them. we would not have firearms if the Europeans did not take the small invention the Chinese made and made it better, that's just one example. both East and West have built off each other. if no one appropriated the entire world would probably look like Africa. and I only keep, mentioning them because they are where Humans have existed the longest and yet have amounted to nothing.except for cheap labor they produced through the selling out of their own people's for cash. which is fine my Ancestors did it too. looking at the Roman's here. but we don't make an issue of the past. the only Civilization of worth that ever existed on that continent would be Egypt. and it is right on the edge of Africa and might as well be considered middle east or European from the amount of influence both had on it.

if this come's off as a bit bitter I do apologize it is not do to you but just how stupid the Left is in their propagation of such a stupid idea "Cultural Appropriation" Jesus Christ just burn them all down with fire their ashes would serve a better purpose than their constant bickering and invention of issues where none exist...
anyone with a competence could see it holds no issue. I would only ever consider it if the people stating it were hunter and gatherers and lived in some jungle somewhere who invented all they had. yet that's not who brings it up as an "issue".

Last edited:

gnomon

In my opinion, the notion that cultural appropriation in and of itself is a bad thing is ridiculous. It fails to take into account a number of issues. Among those issues: If cultural appropriation were wholly bad, we would need to declare bad any ideas that were born of the an interaction between cultures.

For instance, the transistor radio. The transistor was invented in America, and then appropriated and adapted by the Japanese to create easily portable radios. If that was bad, then why was it bad?

Again many ethnic foods in America are appropriated from other cultures, then adapted to American tastes. If that's bad, why is it bad?

I personally do not believe in the concept.

I agree with you........

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't think it's a bad thing. Sure people can mock other cultures and that's not okay. But so called cultural appropriation is often times merely sharing between cultures. Or people appreciating (perhaps not always in a nice way) cultures other than their own. A consequence of curiosity and maybe benign ignorance in some cases. I find the concept as a way to build walls and segregate cultures. A way for people to play the hero and teach young impressionable kids (especially migrant kids) to be victims. I find the notion, even if out of good intentions, to be ultimately detrimental.
Also it is incredibly grating to have people (usually white people, just an observation) tell me what I should find offensive about portrayals of my own damned culture. I usually respond with an insult in, admittedly poorly spoken, Hindi.

Kuzcotopia

If you can read this, you are as lucky as I am.

No problems. Not sure I would even recognize it to think it's a problem.

One thing is clear: The outrage against the concept of "cultural appropriation" seems to be much higher than any actual outrage of "cultural appropriation." But why?

When you see proportions like this, look for the signs that its been blown all out of proportion to serve as a political tool to stoke anger on the side who's against it. . .

gnomon

ironic. extremely. overly. completely funny and hilarious. that the ones pointing out "Cultural Appropriation" are appropriating all that MY people built. not you personally but to the Libtards and I rarely use that insult. on the left whom namely those of a darker persuasion who think of this crap to hide their inferiority complex, and I say of a darker persuasion as any white or Asian person who makes the argument that its a bad thing is a complete disgrace, and dishonor's all they are. as for those who come up with these nonexistent issues. they just sit around complaining about appropriation while living and using virtually everything MY people invented. not even appropriated. that which we have appropriated on any grounds would be of Eastern Influence. and they did the same to us.

now onto your question. the answer is a solid NO it is not a bad thing. its why Europe became the pinacol of progress while Africa is as it always is a festering welt of wasted resources. it's due to the conflicts of war. conquest. and appropriation that we have the glorious civilizations we have now. it's through the taking of other's ideas and adding to them. we would not have firearms if the Europeans did not take the small invention the Chinese made and made it better, that's just one example. both East and West have built off each other. if no one appropriated the entire world would probably look like Africa. and I only keep, mentioning them because they are where Humans have existed the longest and yet have amounted to nothing.except for cheap labor they produced through the selling out of their own people's for cash. which is fine my Ancestors did it too. looking at the Roman's here. but we don't make an issue of the past. the only Civilization of worth that ever existed on that continent would be Egypt. and it is right on the edge of Africa and might as well be considered middle east or European from the amount of influence both had on it.

if this come's off as a bit bitter I do apologize it is not do to you but just how stupid the Left is in their propagation of such a stupid idea "Cultural Appropriation" Jesus Christ just burn them all down with fire their ashes would serve a better purpose than their constant bickering and invention of issues where none exist...
anyone with a competence could see it holds no issue. I would only ever consider it if the people stating it were hunter and gatherers and lived in some jungle somewhere who invented all they had. yet that's not who brings it up as an "issue".

What a stupid ****ing post.

edit: to quote....sic...."pinacol"...you can't be serious.

Your sorry *** ignorance is astounding.

Your sorry because your garbage politics doesn't allow you to understand the history of civilization. What a ****ing cop out excuse of ignorance.

There is only one question you need to answer. Just how stupid are you?

And that is the only question I'm interested in. If you disregard that........just know that the forum drunk considers your argument absolutely horse****.

Or at best......you are attempting to be a humorist. Though a rather poor one.

Sakeenah

As an African I just wasted a valuable resource( my precious time) reading this post. And btw you don't sound bitter, you sound ignorant.

Father

Devourer of Truth
Africa is third world because first world imperialists continue to extract the surplus and resources from Africa.
Your post reeks of ignorance of the context which created the modern conditions in Africa.
it existed before European civilization was even a thing. its the oldest spot humans have lived. it has no excuses. your argument lacks any knowledge of History. when did those Europeans invade? I can tell you they didn't make it that far south beside north Africa for some time. and Egypt did just fine playing the game. they had war all the time. european nations had war all the time. eastern nations did too. blaming outside influence as a scapegoat is the largest strawman in the world

Last edited:

Father

Devourer of Truth
Black people sure were appropriating when they were torn from their continent and their cultures were assimilated by imperialists, eh?
they can easily return no one is stopping them. nor were they torn do your research they were bought and sold out from their own people. waring tribes sold each other out for profit, some were taken but there was no real need, the triangle trade benefited all sides. wealthy africans who sold their own kind. those who shipped them., and those who bought them. some were taken granted but not all

Father

Devourer of Truth
What a stupid ****ing post.

Your sorry *** ignorance is astounding.

Your sorry because your garbage politics doesn't allow you to understand the history of civilization. What a ****ing cop out excuse of ignorance.

There is only one question you need to answer. Just how stupid are you?

And that is the only question I'm interested in. If you disregard that........just know that the forum drunk considers your argument absolutely horse****.

Or at best......you are attempting to be a humorist. Though a rather poor one.

can you name me an advanced African civilization besides Egypt? I sure as hell can't seem to find one. why is the the one placed Humans have existed the longest. has nothing to really show for it. one could argue outside influence yet European nations along with eastern screwed each other over constantly. lack of resources? nope has tons even after we raided it.

Father

Devourer of Truth

Was Europe not a pinacol? would you like to trade in 40-50% of human advancement in for a spear some stone villages and pestilence? go trace most advancement back. a good 40-50% belongs to Europe. the rest to the middle east and Asia respectively but barely any to Africa

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
can you name me an advanced African civilization besides Egypt? I sure as hell can't seem to find one. why is the the one placed Humans have existed the longest. has nothing to really show for it. one could argue outside influence yet European nations along with eastern screwed each other over constantly. lack of resources? nope has tons even after we raided it.
Your self identification as "devourer of truth" seems appropriate. I found 10 in 15 seconds with one google search

https://listverse.com/2016/07/15/10-african-civilizations-more-amazing-than-ancient-egypt/

Flame

Beware
The kind of "cultural appropriation" that a majority of the Tumblr, Reddit, Twitter, Facebook, ect like to cry about? No.

However there are cases that I'd throw under a cultural appropriation tag.

Father

Devourer of Truth
Your self identification as "devourer of truth" seems appropriate. I found 10 in 15 seconds with one google search

https://listverse.com/2016/07/15/10-african-civilizations-more-amazing-than-ancient-egypt/
so they had 10 large empires besides Egypt. and you're telling me that their people still blame the Europeans for wrecking everything when they could not defend themselves with all of that? you cant play pride and victim card at the same time. either they were grand and fell equally or they were never that grand. though funny how I still never hear jack about those empires only Egypt ever gets the spotlight so I admit ignorance to what empires they had. I assumed by the amount of complaining and crying their people do that they had nothing and the evil European Empire swooped in and messed with their harmony.

"then everything changed when the fire nation attacked"

gnomon

Sorry.

If you are too stupid to take advantage of the wealth of information at your fingertips to learn about the various civilizations that countermand your garbage mentality.........

I only have one sentiment to ever to tell you which is go **** yourself and your utter garbage mentality.

Dear god the fact the that you lack the ability to actually study anything and you are asking me to do your ****ing work only shows just how absolutely stupid you are.

You could study the history of Mali and Timbuktu or actually study the various cultures of that you know **** all about because you are just an ****ing idiot.

No......I'm not going to do the work for you. Just keep posting garbage with that obnoxious signature of the so called ..........garbage.

Sakeenah

I would call what you are referrring to a cultural exchange. So it really depends on what you are referring to when you use that term.
Cultural appropriation mostly involves members of a dominant group exploiting the culture of less privileged groups. And this is often done along with very little understanding of the group's history, experience, and traditions.
It's more harmful when the source community is a minority group that has been opressed or exploited in other ways.
I think adopting cultural elements in a colonial manner and using them outside the cultural context can be disrespectful in a way. This can also be seen as disrespect or a form of desecration by members of the culture. For example Native cultures sacred traditions are often reduced to fasion items,toys etc.

I can understand why cultural appropriation is a concern for some. Because this "borrowing" robs minority groups of the credit they deserve. For example art and music forms that originated with minority groups are associated with members of the dominant group/culture. And then the dominant group is seen as innovative/edy at the same time the minoriy group continue to face the same negative stereotypes. That imply they’re lacking in intelligence and creativity.
What one person perceives as a tribute and something positive. May be perceived as disrespectful by another group. I think it's a fine line and one that should be considered and not simply dismissed.

Father

Devourer of Truth
Sorry.

If you are too stupid to take advantage of the wealth of information at your fingertips to learn about the various civilizations that countermand your garbage mentality.........

I only have one sentiment to ever to tell you which is go **** yourself and your utter garbage mentality.

Dear god the fact the that you lack the ability to actually study anything and you are asking me to do your ****ing work only shows just how absolutely stupid you are.

You could study the history of Mali and Timbuktu or actually study the various cultures of that you know **** all about because you are just an ****ing idiot.

No......I'm not going to do the work for you. Just keep posting garbage with that obnoxious signature of the so called ..........garbage.

nah someone linked me 10 large African civilizations. yet with all of that, they still seem to play the victim card of "everything changed when the fire nation attacked" turns out they play that card even when they had 10 large empires and no excuse for having their *** handed to them for so long. not just by Europe but by the middle east too.,

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner

I don't think it is good or bad, as it happens regardless. Anyone that says it is good, is saying that as a personal judgement- and exactly so for bad.

gnomon

nah someone linked me 10 large African civilizations. yet with all of that, they still seem to play the victim card of "everything changed when the fire nation attacked" turns out they play that card even when they had 10 large empires and no excuse for having their *** handed to them for so long. not just by Europe but by the middle east too.,

Wow!

"they play that card"......that meant so much!

"they had 10 large empires...".......Europe had more and the slaughtered themselves to ****.

Your stupidity is a constant amusement but it's time this drunk ***......continually pissing on what you think you know......goes to bed.

Good night.

Racist idiot.