• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Creating Life a Moral Carte Blanche?

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Non-believers often object to things allegedly done by gods, particularly the Abrahamic God as that's the dominant view of God these days. Theists then reply that God may do whatever they please in regard to their creation because they created it.

Does that reasoning hold water? If I create a life, is it morally acceptable for me to do whatever I please with that life? Kill it, torture it, starve it, punish it for no good reason?

In my view it isn't acceptable, if morality is to be a meaningful concept. A moral creator would recognize that there are things one cannot do to the life they've created if one wants to be considered moral.

Agree? Disagree? Share your thoughts.

MikeF

Premium Member
Non-believers often object to things allegedly done by gods, particularly the Abrahamic God as that's the dominant view of God these days. Theists then reply that God may do whatever they please in regard to their creation because they created it.

Does that reasoning hold water? If I create a life, is it morally acceptable for me to do whatever I please with that life? Kill it, torture it, starve it, punish it for no good reason?

In my view it isn't acceptable, if morality is to be a meaningful concept. A moral creator would recognize that there are things one cannot do to the life they've created if one wants to be considered moral.

I agree. If we look at a concrete analogy, one could see that the parents of a child are, essentially, the creator of that child. What are the expectations we have of parents toward their children?

As to creator entities, there is always the option that they are amoral, in which case, any expectation of moral compliance is moot.

If the entities are amoral, however, this weakens the argument that such entities are the source of an external universal moral standard.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member

If one believed in objective morality, and derived from the god in which they believe, why would any who believed in such object? Their god, their morals. :oops: But of course I don't believe in such, and see morals as being just human derived, just as much as other life might have theirs.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Morality is not objective (ie devoid of personal judgment), deity or no deity. Imo you do not "own" any life, created by you or anyone or anything else. Denying agency to other beings is the greasy slope to hell.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Would you kill or torture or starve your own child?

My thoughts are, the claimed action of god (Abrahamic in this case) are good enough reason to not believe such can exist.
Can you imagine so called 'loving' parents doing that to their own children?

Shakeel

Does that reasoning hold water? If I create a life, is it morally acceptable for me to
This logic doesn't hold water because you cannot create life. Actually everything we create with our hands, such as airplanes and skyscrapers, are created by God. God is who gives us the ideas and God is who makes us able to make them and who makes some things successful while others fail.

Viker

Häxan
This logic doesn't hold water because you cannot create life. Actually everything we create with our hands, such as airplanes and skyscrapers, are created by God. God is who gives us the ideas and God is who makes us able to make them and who makes some things successful while others fail.
So we're just meat puppets?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

And some people can think for themselves

Shakeel

It is a sign of intelligence to be able to consider an idea without accepting it.
I think they commit to fallacious thinking probably every single time they deny God with any explanation.

They often say, God cannot exist because He did x. So now they have to define God and how He should be in order to exist, which I've never seen any atheist do.

You can't say something doesn't exist without defining it. So if you say God cannot exist because He would be cruel - here you'd be defining God in your terms and rejecting that idea of God.

In order for you to reject Allah, for instance - I mean, logically to make clear you deny His existence, specifically - you would first have to understand what He is before you can legitimately say you deny His existence.

Last edited:

Viker

Häxan
I think they commit to fallacious thinking probably every single time they deny God with any explanation.

They often say, God's cannot exist because he did x. So now they have to define God and how he should be in order to exist, which I've never seen any atheist do.

You can't say something doest exist without defining it. So if you say God cannot exist because He would be cruel - here you'd be defining God in your terms and rejecting that idea of God.

In order for you to reject Allah, for instance - I mean, logically to make clear you deny His existence, specifically - you would first have to understand what He is before you can legitimately say you deny His existence.
Let's put this to the test.

Do you know and or understand Quatzequatel? If you reject him before knowing/understanding him, have you made a mistake? I'm just curious here.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member

They often say, God cannot exist because He did x. So now they have to define God and how He should be in order to exist, which I've never seen any atheist do.

You can't say something doesn't exist without defining it. So if you say God cannot exist because He would be cruel - here you'd be defining God in your terms and rejecting that idea of God.

I think you fail in - everything by God. Hardly leaves much for any living creature does it? So why do they exist?

Shakeel

Let's put this to the test.

Do you know and or understand Quatzequatel? If you reject him before knowing/understanding him, have you made a mistake? I'm just curious here.
If it didn't believe in Allah or some other entity that makes the existence of Quatzequatel impossible, then yes, I would have to understand it before I deny its existence, but believing in Allah I believe there is no deity other than Allah.