• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is coronavirus being overplayed? Hyped up fear mongering going on?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I can't even begin to imagine how hard it must be for those health care providers who have been endlessly working, seeing death like war medics, and having to make decisions no one should have to make.
Amd it's because of selfish, arrogant, self-obsessed lunatics who care for no one but themselves and fundamentally fail to see this is not about any one person.

Orbit

I'm a planet
Where? None of that is happening in my area.

Texas (El Paso; Lubbock); California (Orange County); just two name two states at ICU capacity who have had to build tents to care for patients. In New Mexico, we are at capacity and they are airlifting patients to Phoenix.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Where? None of that is happening in my area.
Where is your area?
In Britain we have lost 65,000 deaths to this virus, that's the same % per population as the USA.
A friend of mine thought that our lockdowns were all so stupid.... has laughed about it all for months. He and his whole household caught the virus about three weeks ago. He is in a very poor shape although his younger partner and little girl seem alright.

Our hospitals are nearly all full.

European Countries have just stopped all traffic into or out of Britain. We have just opened up a huge ex-USA bomber airbase in Thanet near Dover to park the thousands of lorries that are going to be stranded.

Obviously it's all hype, friend. Not...... :)

exchemist

Veteran Member
I think it causes cells to age more quickly, but beyond that I'm not certain what it does. In general it probably decreases the average lifespan. If I am correct it explains why its most deadly to the elderly and the very young.
It is a respiratory virus, related to those that cause the common cold. The problem with this one is it goes for the lungs and can cause an out-of-control immune response ("cytokine storm") that kills the patient. It also seems sometimes to go for other organs and it can travel up certain nerves - hence the anosmia that I suffered from when I got it.

But there is nothing about cell ageing, so far as I am aware.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
So it seems
This side of American society is extremely insular, hense their shock at Trump's loss and the belief that his victory was stolen because in their mind he was so beloved by "everybody" that it was impossible. They see the world outside their own as either insignificant or nonexistent. Also, they're of a mindset that, if they don't understand something, then it must be false.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
This side of American society is extremely insular, hense their shock at Trump's loss and the belief that his victory was stolen because in their mind he was so beloved by "everybody" that it was impossible. They see the world outside their own as either insignificant or nonexistent. Also, they're of a mindset that, if they don't understand something, then it must be false.

It is similar in the UK, Johnson is of the same mindset as Trump and to his followers he can do no wrong.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Why, indeed it does! If it's not happening right under my nose, it's not real. Get with the times, Christine! Your intellectual honesty is showing. Scandalously, I might add.
I know it's a hoax! I tested positive December 1st and I survived!

For reals. Actually I had what seems to be the Trump-lite version. I got lucky. Just a few days with rather high fever and severe body aches. And since I have mild COPD I was a bit concerned. Though I thought that it was more likely flu than covid, until the test came in:eek: Sudden onset and it did not (thank Quob) get into my lungs at all.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Why, indeed it does! If it's not happening right under my nose, it's not real. Get with the times, Christine! Your intellectual honesty is showing. Scandalously, I might add.

I enjoy being scandalous.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Sure, the media is overplaying the danger from the coronavirus. Only a mere 300,000 Americans have died from it. A number so tiny in comparison to infinity as to be laughable!

Well, I asked one time on RF about how 300,000 isn't a lot compared to the whole. The answer I received is putting more emphasis on the whole would devalue the seriousness of COVID. So, putting more emphasis on those dying and death would cause more umph for people to care about the issue and help each other. Different motivators for the same cause and action.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Well, I asked one time on RF about how 300,000 isn't a lot compared to the whole. The answer I received is putting more emphasis on the whole would devalue the seriousness of COVID. So, putting more emphasis on those dying and death would cause more umph for people to care about the issue and help each other. Different motivators for the same cause and action.
The problem is that this disease is both highly virulent and on the order of ten times as deadly as the flu. Yes, the percentage is still "small". In the U.S. the current figure is about 1.8% of the cases end in death. That is far higher than the rates that one will get from various flu viruses:

Burden of Influenza

Two percent may be small, but it is large enough to make Covid19 the current number one cause of death in the U.S.. The flu usually ranks about 8th.