• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is coronavirus being overplayed? Hyped up fear mongering going on?

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
I would prefer an overreaction than underestimation. But I will draw attention to this:

That choice reflects a broader pattern in American media coverage of the pandemic, which tends to accentuate the negative, exaggerate risk and ignore encouraging information.
I disagree. Many media outlets I follow are releasing encouraging information related to vaccine distribution. Further, they are optimistic in regards to the Moderna vaccine.

With that said, bad news always sells better than good news. This is a common critique of the media that I can get on board with.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Imbecile article, frankly. They quote one doctor with a public relations agenda - and try to suggest from that a whole conspiracy of doom-mongering.

The problem the US faces is that, due to the abysmal lack of political leadership, the view that it is a fuss about nothing is encouraged in large sections of the population, not least by articles like this one.

What you need to do is keep a watch on the state of your hospitals. How full are they and are they filling up further or emptying? The game is to stop them getting overloaded. It's true that the number of infections does not directly tell you that, because the number of new hospital cases lags about 2 weeks behind the headline rate for new infections. But, by the same token, it is a predictor of what the hospital occupancy will be a fortnight hence.

There is bound to be a lot of poor media coverage, as that is the way of newspeople hunting for a headline. But all the numbers I am seeing show the infection rate increasing in the USA and that means your hospitals will be getting filled up.

There is no way to portray that situation as good news. I know a lot of Americans are incapable of believing in bad news but, tough, this is what it is.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Well. I agree so far I'm reading:
That choice reflects a broader pattern in American media coverage of the pandemic, which tends to accentuate the negative, exaggerate risk and ignore encouraging information. The result isn’t just depressing but misleading and potentially counterproductive, as Americans are told to keep up their guard against the virus during the winter they will have to get through....This unrelenting, indiscriminate negativity fosters suspicion and resistance

After reading, I still agree. Though it shouldn't devalue the seriousness of the issue just put it in perspective.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
You know, One of the floors I work on is a covid floor. The other, isn't. They are both ICU (intensive care unit) floors. With the way things have been going, my other ICU floor might also start housing covid patients. The scary thing about it is that the majority of people there are people in the danger zone age range.

I've known quite a few people who have gotten sick from it, and of those people, some of them either recieved perminant damage (so far) or died.

If we care about the wellbeing of others, we take this seriously.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I think it causes cells to age more quickly, but beyond that I'm not certain what it does. In general it probably decreases the average lifespan. If I am correct it explains why its most deadly to the elderly and the very young.
I think the more educated we get, like understanding how it works and what it does, rather than just saying its bad or putting on a political spin, would bring about more cooperation in helping prevent the spread and looking for a cure or control.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I think the more educated we get, like understanding how it works and what it does, rather than just saying its bad or putting on a political spin, would bring about more cooperation in helping prevent the spread and looking for a cure or control.
When the disease was first announced they didn't know how virulent it would be, and they weren't sure how dangerous it was only that it was dangerous. Many wheels were set into motion. The epidemiologists have been trying to make prediction models since March. As the numbers come in they update their models based upon whatever happened two weeks ago. Since there's no accurate test they have to go by inaccurate information.

They didn't know in the first months if we'd all turn into zombies or what, but by the third month in policy makers had to make political decisions using best guesses. Naturally this also became a political wrangle, since the two major parties always talk smack about each other's policies.

Meanwhile the Republican voters were having to make excuses for their candidate, and the Democrat voters were making everything be about that candidate. Of course, and by then each party was dedicated to the proposition that its determination based upon guesswork had been correct. Those who had insisted upon curfews doubled down. Those who insisted on no masks doubled down, too.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
No.jpg

Hospitals full.
ER's out of capacity
hundreds of thousands dead
Worse versions spreading in the UK and South Africa

And idiots, some with degrees, LIE. Those covidiots are terrorists because they're spreading fear and terror by their refusal to admit what is going on thus making the situation worse. They need to be treated as the terrorists they truly are.

Daemon Sophic

I think it causes cells to age more quickly, but beyond that I'm not certain what it does. In general it probably decreases the average lifespan. If I am correct it explains why its most deadly to the elderly and the very young.
Uh...No, it does not age people. It does not age parts of their body more than normal. It in no way triggers apoptosis of cells (programmed cell death from age).
It acts like any upper respiratory flu-like infection; however, what we often see is an over-active (or hyper-active) immune response, with our own white blood cells dumping inflammatory chemicals (cytokines) into the lungs and other parts of the body, which causes both the severe respiratory illness (blocking off airways with mucous and pus (pneumonia) and damaged/scarred lung tissue.....as well as the disseminated intravascular coagulopathy (DIC) picture (tiny blood clots showering into the lungs, kidneys, brain (mini-strokes), etc...
It is more highly infectious than the normal flu, so it spreads faster, and it seems tougher for the body to kill it (which is likely why we make the big cytokine storms I outlined above).
Basically its just a monster of a flu.
No aging. The elderly are always more vulnerable to the flu every year, but every year some younger people die from the flu too. :shrug: Now just multiply their numbers by about 30. :(

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Sure, the media is overplaying the danger from the coronavirus. Only a mere 300,000 Americans have died from it. A number so tiny in comparison to infinity as to be laughable!

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Sure, the media is overplaying the danger from the coronavirus. Only a mere 300,000 Americans have died from it. A number so tiny in comparison to infinity as to be laughable!
The numbers have skyrocketed the past couple months.:(

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Oh, I don't know. Ask the hospitals that are out of ICU beds and building MASH style tents in their parking lots if it's hype.
They will probably run out of staff to take care of the people. :(