• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Community a Part of Your Belief or Faith?

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
The isolation from community will drive you crazy. There are plenty of scientific studies that support this

There is plenty of proof that Saints living in solitude got Self Realized. They finally transcended the biggest craziness "Running like madmen after sex+++"

How do we know that happened unless, at some point, they shared that realization somehow with a community?

That has nothing to do with my reply.
That has to do with a discussion you are having with Rival.

Yes it does. You mentioned “saints living in solitude.” My comment shows that, at some point, solitude must be ended in order for anyone else to know whether the saint had attained what you claim. Solitude only goes so far.

No it does not have anything to do with my reply to the above question. That's only about "Isolation from community will drive you crazy"

Last edited:

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
No it does not have anything to do with my reply to the above question. That's only about "Isolation from community will drive you crazy"
Self-realized people don’t remain in solitude. That’s the point we’re making.

Vaderecta

I've been told that many seek community as a part of their beliefs or faith (or even lack thereof).

Why is community necessary for one's personal beliefs? Is it because humans tend to be social creatures and feel the need to have other believe as they do? Is it because those that do need others to corroborate their beliefs? Is it something else?

I ask because my worldview requires no community. It is based on my own personal experiences and does not require another to have a worldview similar to mine. While it's interesting to see others that have had similar experiences, knowledge of their worldview isn't integral to support mine. Even having been raised in a community based religion, I never saw the need for community to support belief.

Help me to understand why this is needed in some belief structures.

You don't really need anyone to support your beliefs. You can believe you are a god or the reason this planet exists and no one needs to agree with you to hold your beliefs. You can believe in anything. (Isn't this a popular trope historically?)

If you want to know what actually is happening though you will need other people. Even the greatest people ever born stood on the backs of others. (And they almost all openly admit it.)

Nothing is needed really for belief. You can be a Mormon, Scientologist, Catholic, Muslim or whatever you want to be based on belief. Now that I consider that though it might be an opposite argument you are addressing. You almost need other people to share your fiction to believe in it but you are questioning can't I have my own fiction that no one else believes and no community and still believe it. Absolutely. If you are gifted with speech and luck you might even inspire others to believe your version of reality.

I still prefer something a bit more rigorous but to each their own. God Speed!

stvdv

Self-realized people don’t remain in solitude. That’s the point we’re making.

Again that is your opinion (which you fail to mention). I think your own quote is applicable here:

Freedom begins when you tell Mr Grundy to go fly a kite.
-- Lazarus Long

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Again that is your opinion (which you fail to mention). I think your own quote is applicable here:

Freedom begins when you tell Mr Grundy to go fly a kite.
-- Lazarus Long
Again: if they remain in solitude, how can we know they’ve become enlightened?

Ponder This

I've been told that many seek community as a part of their beliefs or faith (or even lack thereof).

Why is community necessary for one's personal beliefs? Is it because humans tend to be social creatures and feel the need to have other believe as they do? Is it because those that do need others to corroborate their beliefs? Is it something else?

I ask because my worldview requires no community. It is based on my own personal experiences and does not require another to have a worldview similar to mine. While it's interesting to see others that have had similar experiences, knowledge of their worldview isn't integral to support mine. Even having been raised in a community based religion, I never saw the need for community to support belief.

Help me to understand why this is needed in some belief structures.

"No Man is an Island"
Devotions upon Emergent Occasions
John Donne

Separateness from others is an illusion.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Separateness from others is an illusion.

Of course it is, as is most everything perceived in this reality. But for the purpose of this thread, I was speaking more in terms of separation in the temporal sense.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
The OP's question really isn't that difficult, honestly not quite sure why people are trying to make a meal of it.

stvdv

Again: if they remain in solitude, how can we know they’ve become enlightened?

You will never know "if they have become enlightened" IF you remain a mentalist in society. Only in Silence you will know.

stvdv

The OP's question really isn't that difficult, honestly not quite sure why people are trying to make a meal of it.
That's what I thought. Two types of people: a)Heart + b)Mind

You must be new here...
#MeToo

Soon it will reach the point where we have to define every single word in an OP.
Or tell some people "tell Mr Grundy to go fly a kite"

My Master said that women have 3 more Divine qualities. I see only men "creating problems where there are none"; might be the 3 lacking qualities;)

Ponder This

Of course it is, as is most everything perceived in this reality. But for the purpose of this thread, I was speaking more in terms of separation in the temporal sense.

What do you mean 'temporal sense'? Do you mean worldly sense? Or do you mean with regard to time (and what would that even mean)? In the worldly sense, separateness is illusory as I pointed out. I don't what you mean if you are referring to time.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
What do you mean 'temporal sense'? Do you mean worldly sense? Or do you mean with regard to time (and what would that even mean)? In the worldly sense, separateness is illusory as I pointed out. I don't what you mean if you are referring to time.

I mean by way of the perception of the ego self.

Ponder This

I mean by way of the perception of the ego self.

I see. Hmm.

Communities might not appear necessary for personal beliefs because personal beliefs are, by definition personal. However, the reality is that for most people personal beliefs are formed in relation to communities, whether they realize this is so or not.