• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Community a Part of Your Belief or Faith?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
If your world view does not include a way of living, it’s an incomplete world view.
I should hope that everybody's worldview includes such basic things as eating, though, as in the original response to me. And feeding oneself doesn't require a community, either.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Is your world no larger than you?
You are missing my point. One's worldview is inside one's head, not outside it. So of course my worldview is not larger than me, because not everyone shares it. I am the only person with my exact worldview. So yes, my world is completely inside my head, because it is created by my experiences, knowledge and beliefs.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
I should hope that everybody's worldview includes such basic things as eating, though, as in the original response to me. And feeding oneself doesn't require a community, either.
What are you ingesting, if not other living things? Or are not part of the community?

sojourner

You are missing my point. One's worldview is inside one's head, not outside it. So of course my worldview is not larger than me, because not everyone shares it. I am the only person with my exact worldview. So yes, my world is completely inside my head, because it is created by my experiences, knowledge and beliefs.
But it does include other beings, yes?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
What are you ingesting, if not other living things? Or are not part of the community?
Your definition of community is evidently larger than mine, and I don't consider my diet part of my community. I consider it food.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
But it does include other beings, yes?
Of course.

My point is that one does not need a community to have a worldview. I'm unsure what is to disagree with here. One could be like me and be a Noahide and not have any other Noahides anywhere near, or even in the country, ergo no community with my worldview. I don't need other Noahides to have a Noahide worldview.

sojourner

Your definition of community is evidently larger than mine, and I don't consider my diet part of my community. I consider it food.
So you’re defining “community” strictly in terms of human beings, yes?

sojourner

Of course.

My point is that one does not need a community to have a worldview. I'm unsure what is to disagree with here. One could be like me and be a Noahide and not have any other Noahides anywhere near, or even in the country, ergo no community with my worldview. I don't need other Noahides to have a Noahide worldview.
Right. I get that part. But does your world view (how you fit into the world) include other people who are also in the world?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Right. I get that part. But does your world view (how you fit into the world) include other people who are also in the world?
Yes. I have beliefs about them and how they fit into the scheme of things, but all of this comes from my head. People aren't in my head, they are outside of it. I could have exactly the same worldview I have even should I live on my own on an island. My worldview wouldn't change.

sojourner

Ok, so do you purchase your food? From whom? Do you cook it on a stove manufactured somewhere? Do you grow your own? If so, who made the farm implements you use? Where did you obtain feed and seed? On whose land is your farm? You say you live in Yorkshire. That belongs to Dear Old England, which means that the food you raise is also part of England, even as you are.

My point is that it’s impossible to live without being part, in some way, of a community. Even if you live alone “off the grid.”

sojourner

Yes. I have beliefs about them and how they fit into the scheme of things, but all of this comes from my head. People aren't in my head, they are outside of it. I could have exactly the same worldview I have even should I live on my own on an island. My worldview wouldn't change.
Well, I think it would change somewhat with your environment. My world view is different as an American from that of the typical European, because I’m completely surrounded by miles and miles and miles of USA. I don’t bump right up against several other countries.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
My point is that it’s impossible to live without being part, in some way, of a community. Even if you live alone “off the grid.”
If you include plants as part of a community, then yeah, but in general this is wrong. A person can live just as well on his own in a forest all his or her life. I'm not saying it would be a joyous life, but it could be lived. He could build a hut, eat plants, nuts, seeds, and essentially be a vegan if he didn't want to/couldn't hunt, and whatever else he wanted. Perhaps this includes what you would call a community, but not what I would call a community.

sojourner

If you include plants as part of a community, then yeah, but in general this is wrong. A person can live just as well on his own in a forest all his or her life. I'm not saying it would be a joyous life, but it could be lived. He could build a hut, eat plants, nuts, seeds, and essentially be a vegan if he didn't want to/couldn't hunt, and whatever else he wanted. Perhaps this includes what you would call a community, but not what I would call a community.
Where is the forest? Is it part of a nation? Is it on this planet? We’re all interconnected by virtue of living on the same terrestrial ball. Even if we live “alone.”

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Where is the forest? Is it part of a nation? Is it on this planet? We’re all interconnected by virtue of living on the same terrestrial ball. Even if we live “alone.”
Your definition of community is far too different from mine for us to have meaningful dialogue here, I think. That man in that forest, which could be thousands of miles long, would be, to all intents and purposes, completely alone. There are people who die on mountain ranges because people can't find them, for instance. So our word usage is too different here. You have a very broad view and mine is very localised.

sojourner

Your definition of community is far too different from mine for us to have meaningful dialogue here, I think. That man in that forest, which could be thousands of miles long, would be, to all intents and purposes, completely alone. There are people who die on mountain ranges because people can't find them, for instance. So our word usage is too different here. You have a very broad view and mine is very localised.
So, just to be clear, you would eschew those who grow your food, make your clothing, provide your electric service, etc. as being “in your community?”

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I have a theory that all human discord comes from our internal fight of wanting our own individuality and our need for community. You say that your worldview requires no community but that is impossible. Unless you grow and cook your own food, build your own house, doctor your own sickness and wounds...etc. You have to deal with the rules of community to some extent. You are on the internet so you are dealing on some level with community.

Each of us being individuals have different amount of needs while I am comfortable with my individuality I have a high need for community. You seem to be comfortable with your dealing with community but have a high individuality need. That's just as we are no two of us the same.

I think you are confusing the terms "community" and "society." They are not the same.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
It is, yes, but I don't have a community at the moment. I probably won't find one since there doesn't seem to be Hellenic polytheist groups in my area. I probably would have to switch to Germanic polytheism to find a community since there's more groups for that, it seems.

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
What do we mean by community?

I do not believe there is such a thing as opting out of community. It is there whether or not we acknowledge it (and often we do not). This is what community means to me:

• A community is a group of interdependent organisms living together in a particular habitat
Yes, I'm an ecologist, so my baseline understanding of community isn't anthropocentric. From this standpoint, community is necessary because.... well... there is no you without the community in the first place. In fact, a major component of religions are teachings for properly navigating relationships between yourself and other members of the community (whether you consider them part of "your" community or not). Like it or not, your own personal experiences never happen in isolation and community supports your existence - including your beliefs. Estis, ergo sum - you are, therefore I am.

I had some other stuff written after this. It seemed unnecessary, so I deleted it. It suffices to say that if we believe we don't have a community, it behooves us to take a closer look. It's there. And we can cultivate a more mindful relationship with that community when we notice it. :D

com·mu·ni·ty
/kəˈmyo͞onədē/
noun
  1. a group of people living in the same place or having a particular characteristic in common.
    "Rhode Island's Japanese community"
    synonyms: group, body, set, circle, clique, faction
  2. a feeling of fellowship with others, as a result of sharing common attitudes, interests, and goals.
    "the sense of community that organized religion can provide"
https://www.google.com/search?safe=...3i30j35i39j0i20i264j0i131i67j0i67.Ug1BC65S-9w

While I appreciate your take an this, and quite honestly may share in this view with regard to non-anthropocentric community, in writing the OP, I was defining community as the second definition above which is essentially anthropocentric.

Personally, I have yet to feel any kind of fellowship with another when it comes to my personal attitudes, interests, and goals as it pertains to an organized belief structure or worldview aside from a select few here that have shares experiences similar to mine that shaped their worldview.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
A worldview of there is a god still requires community unless your god requires you to be a self sheltered monk. You are online and debating another human. You are doing so for a reason perhaps it is just enjoyment and not a requirement of your god but your god allows for enjoyment and that enjoyment comes from community.

*points to custom title* (the one below my username)