• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is climate change consistent with Abrahamic beliefs?

lostwanderingsoul

over the past few million years the climate has changed many times. there have been very cold periods and very hot periods. this will likely continue for many more years. in fact there was an article recently that said that in as little as 15 to 20 years the earth may enter a very cold period. global warming is a scare tactic used by the politicians to get our attention away from the more important issues like nuclear treaties

arthra

Baha'i
Curious as to how followers of the Abrahamic persuasion view climate change in relation to their belief system. Thanks.

Interesting you should ask... Last month at our Inter-faith Council meeting in our town there was a booklet produced by the Citizens' Climate Lobby entitled "Faith-based statements on Climate Change" with about twenty statements from various religions including the Baha'i Faith... Roman Catholic, Presbyterian, Methodist, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism Eastern Orthodox, Baptist, Brethren, Episcopalian, Buddhism, etc. Pretty much all the major denominations have statements on climate change...

Also...this article in my view indicates that Faith groups can be active in rallying people to deal with climate change issues..

NEW YORK—The world will need an enormous push from the private sector and civil society—including religious organizations—if humanity is to make the transition to a low carbon future and prevent the catastrophic effects of global warming, a top UN official has said.

Christiana Figueres, Executive Secretary of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), speaking on 20 September 2013 at the offices of the Bahá’í International Community. She held up a piece of paper to illustrate that sustainable development and climate change are two sides of the same issue.

Christiana Figueres, Executive Secretary of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), said civil society and, in particular, religious groups have a key role to play in such a transition, because of the moral dimensions of the climate issue.

Source:

http://www.onecountry.org/story/ave...lp-faith-based-organizations-says-un-official

arthra

Baha'i
Here's a succinct statement from the Baha'i community on the issue:

Bahá'ís see the world as evolving rapidly towards a global society as technology breaks down barriers between nations. The problems of the environment are symptoms of the larger imbalances in society, and the barriers to their solution are largely economic, social and political. Changes in behaviour, sacrifices of individual interests in the common good, and major social adjustments will be required. Even where solutions have been agreed, as at the Rio Earth Summit in 1992, the will to apply them has been lacking, and this lack of will is fundamentally a spiritual problem. Changed values and a restoration of moral and ethical principles are needed.

Society needs to be reorganized on a more organic pattern to reflect the diversity and decentralized nature of planetary environments. Local problems should be addressed at the local level, but with a sense of global responsibility. At the same time, the planetary scale of certain environmental problems escapes from the control of national governments. A rapid transition to a world society, with the establishment of the appropriate institutions of a world federation or commonwealth, will be necessary to address these global problems effectively. All humanity needs to recognize its oneness and develop a sense of world citizenship. The central aim of the Bahá'í Faith is to help to lay spiritual foundations for such a world civilization. As Bahá'u'lláh has said, we should become like the leaves of one tree, the flowers of one garden, the waves of one sea.

http://bahai-library.com/dahl_environmental_protection

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
The problems of the environment are symptoms of the larger imbalances in society, and the barriers to their solution are largely economic, social and political. Changes in behaviour, sacrifices of individual interests in the common good, and major social adjustments will be required.

This sounds very much like the Roman Catholic encyclical "Laudato Si". It also tied sustainability to justice. I'm very glad that the religious leaders of the world are starting to see the connection.
Tom

Thana

Lady
Curious as to how followers of the Abrahamic persuasion view climate change in relation to their belief system. Thanks.

Personally, I'm of the 'meh' persuasion. I recognize we're destroying our planet but I also recognize the futility of fighting it so I'm just going to enjoy what I have while I have it and thank God for it and leave everyone else to their fruitless bickering.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
over the past few million years the climate has changed many times. there have been very cold periods and very hot periods. this will likely continue for many more years. in fact there was an article recently that said that in as little as 15 to 20 years the earth may enter a very cold period. global warming is a scare tactic used by the politicians to get our attention away from the more important issues like nuclear treaties

So you're saying that 99.9% of the world's scientists are all collaborating on a vast hoax for some vague and unclear political reason? How would they benefit?

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
Hi dust1n

Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) talked about climate change ;

check this site please about signs of last day that will come and which already came ::
http://islamiclearningmaterials.com/signs-last-day/

The deserts of Arabia will become lush and fertile again. This is happening on a small scale with advanced irrigation techniques and “desert greening.” But it is not to the point where we can say the desert is green.

so Saudi Arabia will be like Europe or Equator in weather .

Pastek

Sunni muslim
I do remember of 2 verses :

21.44 (...) Then do they not see that We set upon the land, reducing it from its borders? (...)

13.41 Have they not seen that We set upon the land, reducing it from its borders? (...)

Other than that, i think everyone has its own opinion.

Sultan Of Swing

From a Christian perspective, seeing as the world is fallen, thanks to human beings and their sin, it would not be theologically surprising if we have messed up the planet to the extent that the climate is now changing for the worse.

So from a purely theological perspective, climate change poses no problems and wouldn't be surprising considering the sinfulness of mankind.

The scientific question is of course a different matter, and what policies a country should adopt are also a different matter.

rusra02

Premium Member
The scientific evidence that people and their practices are responsible for apparent climate changes harmonizes with the Bible's description of "those ruining [or destroying] the earth." (Revelation 11:18) Regarding these ruiners, that verse promises God has an appointed time "to bring to ruin those ruining the earth."

17 Gen r

No.

And Noah builded an altar unto Yahweh; and took of every clean beast, and of every clean fowl, and offered burnt offerings on the altar. And Yahweh smelled a sweet savour; and Yahweh said in his heart, I will not again curse the ground any more for man's sake; for the imagination of man's heart is evil from his youth; neither will I again smite any more every thing living, as I have done. While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease. (Genesis 8.20-22)

The Great Global Warming Swindle:

Read the Bible (http://www.bibleprotector.com/), fear Yahweh, the god whose name is "I become", the inexhaustible god, who is beyond any concept, whose Son is his inexhaustible self-knowledge.

dust1n

Zindīq
No.

And Noah builded an altar unto Yahweh; and took of every clean beast, and of every clean fowl, and offered burnt offerings on the altar. And Yahweh smelled a sweet savour; and Yahweh said in his heart, I will not again curse the ground any more for man's sake; for the imagination of man's heart is evil from his youth; neither will I again smite any more every thing living, as I have done. While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease. (Genesis 8.20-22)

Wait, is the Genesis 8 verse suppose to be something to indicate that the Bible and climate change are contradictory?

17 Gen r

Wait, is the Genesis 8 verse suppose to be something to indicate that the Bible and climate change are contradictory?

Yes. Man made Global Warming is against the Bible. Only the heathen, chiefly Catholics (cf. http://environment.yale.edu/climate...about-global-warming-and-support-u.s.-action/), would support the opinion of man made Global Warming.

In Judaism, there's a constant demand that we do and not just talk, and global warming is real so we have a responsibility to try and help alleviate the situation.

Like this?: http://www.nap.edu/catalog/18988/climate-intervention-reflecting-sunlight-to-cool-earth

There is no man made Global Warming, the above shall happen but it is totally unwarranted as far as physical climate is concerned. It is perfectly warranted when considered from the standpoint of morals. You are Sodom, Gomorrah, Admah & Zeboim. In the same manner that you invited the DAESH in Europe (So called "Migrants"), you are going to cause this to happen:

And the fourth angel sounded, and the third part of the sun was smitten, and the third part of the moon, and the third part of the stars; so as the third part of them was darkened, and the day shone not for a third part of it, and the night likewise. (Revelation 8.12)

And Yahweh said unto Moses, Stretch out thine hand toward heaven, that there may be darkness over the land of Egypt, even darkness which may be felt. (Exodus 10.21)

For the stars of heaven and the constellations thereof shall not give their light: the sun shall be darkened in his going forth, and the moon shall not cause her light to shine. (Isaiah 13.10)

Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken: (Matthew 24.29)

But in those days, after that tribulation, the sun shall be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, (Mark 13.24)

The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before that great and notable day of the Lord come: (Acts 2.20)

Literally.

O idolaters of Allah, of the Holy Trinity & of the lord of the Talmud, your time has come.

And I saw three unclean spirits like frogs [the three "Abrahamic" religions of this night, of this Gehenna] come out of the mouth of the dragon, and out of the mouth of the beast, and out of the mouth of the false prophet. For they are the spirits of devils, working miracles, which go forth unto the kings of the earth and of the whole world, to gather them to the battle of that great day of God Almighty. Behold, I come as a thief [he has already come & is ruling this hell with a rod of iron]. Blessed is he that watcheth, and keepeth his garments, lest he walk naked, and they see his shame. And he gathered them together into a place called in the Hebrew tongue Armageddon. (Revelation 16.13-16)