• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Christmas......

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

There's no reliable evidence that it is, from what I've read, and there are numerous examples of winter festivals and holidays from different cultures throughout history. I also wouldn't see that as significant or unique even if it were pagan in origin, since cultures have always merged, intersected, and borrowed from each other.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
There's no reliable evidence that it is, from what I've read, and there are numerous examples of winter festivals and holidays from different cultures throughout history. I also wouldn't see that as significant or unique even if it were pagan in origin, since cultures have always merged, intersected, and borrowed from each other.
As I recall, Jesus was nailed to a cross, not a giant chocolate egg. :)

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It is possible that the cross was made of chocolate appropriated from a pagan recipe. This would be a major blow to Christianity and its salvation narrative.

Coincidentally, today i saw a chocolate cross while buying chocolates for Saturnalia presents.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I would say that it is now a secular holiday. There is no clear time of the year given for his birth anywhere. Nor do their appear to be any coherent arguments on when he was born. And since even before Jesus's time there were winter solstice celebrations that appears to have been a natural choice as to when to select that date.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.

Based on what I've read, Christmas (Christ Mass) has several rituals and traditions that have pagan roots. I believe that's true, and I believe that paganism had a significant impact on Christianity as a whole, and many of its rituals, practices, and some of the Bible's accounts about Jesus' life (miracles, death, resurrection) were copied and adapted from Greek mythology and other pagan religions.

Viker

Häxan
Coincidentally, today i saw a chocolate cross while buying chocolates for Saturnalia presents.
Did you invert it? I can't resist doing that around Easter. I see the chocolate crosses, I select one or two to purchase (because chocolate is good) then invert the rest. I tried to make it look like a chocolate Easter bunny was being crucified, once. I couldn't make him stick.