• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Christmas Pagan?

Riders

Is Christmas Pagan itś that time of the year again. Christmas looks different this year with the covid and all.I heard on the news Internet shoppping is way up,more going to the internet to buy then in person.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, I think so.

There's been a lot of speculation that Jesus would have been born sometime in August/September, and much of what you see as "Christmas traditions" were actually traditions of the Winter Solstice within Paganism. They were adapted to fit 'Christmas' when Christians began trying to convert the Pagan populations. Kind of an intentional blending of intent, with the hope that Pagans would find this acceptable and be more willing to convert, if my understanding is right.

Am I having deja vu or did we do this thread last year?

I don't know, I wasn't here last year.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Is Christmas Pagan itś that time of the year again. Christmas looks different this year with the covid and all.I heard on the news Internet shoppping is way up,more going to the internet to buy then in person.

I'm at the mall and it's packed. But they are emphasing buying things online. I guess it depends.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Yes, I think so.

There's been a lot of speculation that Jesus would have been born sometime in August/September, and much of what you see as "Christmas traditions" were actually traditions of the Winter Solstice within Paganism. They were adapted to fit 'Christmas' when Christians began trying to convert the Pagan populations. Kind of an intentional blending of intent, with the hope that Pagans would find this acceptable and be more willing to convert, if my understanding is right.

I don't know, I wasn't here last year.

That's about how i hear it.

A case of if you join our club you can still have your party.

FYI, we have held different midwinter celebrations over the years, including Christmas, in an effort to show the kids how different cultures do it. For the last 4 years they have insisted on Saturnalia... Why? Nothing more mercenary than they get more presents.

Bear Wild

Of course Christmas is a blended pagan holiday. Take Christian names with some Christian events and tack them onto Pagan rituals and symbols then call it a Christian holiday. It was very effective.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Which Christmas tradition can be traced back to pagan religions, other than the day/date being a holiday.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Which Christmas tradition can be traced back to pagan religions, other than the day/date being a holiday.

Decorating the home with greenery and Christmas trees
Mistletoe
Giving presents
Family gatherings