• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Christianity polytheistic?

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
Katzpur said:
I agree. There are several places in the Bible where "gods" (lower-case "g") are mentioned. Sometimes God (i.e. the Christian God, the Eternal Father, etc.) is said to be the "God of gods." Whenever people say that all "gods" mentioned in the Bible are "false gods," it makes me wonder... Does that make God a "God of false gods"? I think that acknowledging "gods" as beings with godlike qualities or attributes is not the same thing as worshipping them, and I don't think it's polytheistic, either. If these "gods" exist, but have no power or authority over us or our universe, I fail to see beliving that they exist as a big deal.
Didn't see this one somehow.

What i would like to know is, if all the other gods in the bible are false gods, what makes YHWH different? You're gonna say, "Well, he's the real God" (you might not have said that, but i find it likely) but then you must think, how can you be sure? Why can't they all be real gods, it just happened that YHWH wrote a book saying He was the real God?
I mean, if you were a god vying for worshipping priviledges, you're going to say "Don't listen to those guys, their false gods, listen to me i'm the only proper God."

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Halcyon said:
Didn't see this one somehow.

What i would like to know is, if all the other gods in the bible are false gods, what makes YHWH different? You're gonna say, "Well, he's the real God" (you might not have said that, but i find it likely) but then you must think, how can you be sure? Why can't they all be real gods, it just happened that YHWH wrote a book saying He was the real God?
I mean, if you were a god vying for worshipping priviledges, you're going to say "Don't listen to those guys, their false gods, listen to me i'm the only proper God."
How would you do it?

~Victor

Radar

I would say that christainity and judaism recognizes more than one god because it is written in genesis 3:22 And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us. That would suggest more than one god but he just wants to be the main one because he is a jealous god or at least it is stated that way in the 10 commandments.

A

angellous_evangellous

Radar said:
I would say that christainity and judaism recognizes more than one god because it is written in genesis 3:22 And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us. That would suggest more than one god but he just wants to be the main one because he is a jealous god or at least it is stated that way in the 10 commandments.
We usually interpret Elohim as including God and an angelic court as in Job chapter 1.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Radar said:
I personally believe that at some time in the future, we will all be 'at one' with God; that said, God will always be the 'head'. God would never be jealous......;)

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
michel said:
I personally believe that at some time in the future, we will all be 'at one' with God; that said, God will always be the 'head'. God would never be jealous......;)
I think :)confused: ) you're joking Mich, nevertheless - YHWH admitted Himself that He was a jealous god. This of course begs the question, if He's the only real God, who has he got to be jealous of?

Radar

michel said:
Just stating what is suppose to be his words and he says he is jealous so I would guess he would be.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
Victor said:
Choosing one god is arrogant? How about choosing many?

~Victor
No, no. Misunderstanding. I meant if I was a god, i wouldn't have tried to convince people that i'm the one true God.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Halcyon said:
I think :)confused: ) you're joking Mich, nevertheless - YHWH admitted Himself that He was a jealous god. This of course begs the question, if He's the only real God, who has he got to be jealous of?
The God of the O.T ? A badly passed down from generation to generation account of history, full of parables, innacuracies, and mistakes ?;)

Radar

michel said:
The God of the O.T ? A badly passed down from generation to generation account of history, full of parables, innacuracies, and mistakes ?;)
I thought it was jesus that spoke in parables?

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
michel said:
Um, the God of the OT is the God of the NT too. Plus, what you said also applies to the NT.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Halcyon said:
Um, the God of the OT is the God of the NT too. Plus, what you said also applies to the NT.
I follow Christ's teachings, which is why I call myself a Christian........

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
michel said:
This is going to drag it off topic Mich, however :rolleyes: , a lot of Jesus's teachings concerned Jewish life and as such involve a belief in the Jewish God - how do you see these teachings?

As an aside, have you read Jesus's teachings from the Gospels of Thomas and Philip, or just the canonised Gospels.

Radar

michel said:
Didn't christ speak in parables? When you attend church does your pastor/preacher or whatever only teach from the NT? Do you ignore the OT as a whole? When you pray do you only pray as jesus did (our father who art in heaven)? Do you follow the 10 commandments? Just asking....

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Halcyon said:
No, no. Misunderstanding. I meant if I was a god, i wouldn't have tried to convince people that i'm the one true God.
They why did you create mankind for? I'm curious.

~Victor

Radar

Victor said:
They why did you create mankind for? I'm curious.

~Victor
Exactly.... That's an open ended question. All religions speculate why the world was created, why man was created, why anything was created? Everyone chooses what they think is right for them and know really knows the answer and never will that is why people go off of faith because there are no certainties when it comes to religion and those that think that there are, are only speculating and drawing there own conclusions.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
Halcyon said:
i know you know the answer to that question...