• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Christianity monotheistic, polytheistic or both?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Yeah, according to you. According to most Muslims, all of Christianity would be considered polytheistic. And they could make every bit as good an argument for their position as you could for yours. It's all a matter of how you define your terms. Why not let each religion speak for itself?

I have no problem with those who wish to speak for themselves but crass over the top to try and shut down others who disagree.

The actual beliefs as described in the doctrine dogma and beliefs clearly can be understood as traditional Christianity and the LDS as polytheistic.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I have no problem with those who wish to speak for themselves but crass over the top to try and shut down others who disagree.

The actual beliefs as described in the doctrine dogma and beliefs clearly can be understood as traditional Christianity and the LDS as polytheistic.
I can't tell whether you're classifying all of traditional Christianity as polytheistic or if it's just Mormonism you're referring to. But you have, time and time again, told the Mormons on this forum what they believe, and our repeated attempts to clarify our doctrines have fallen on deaf ears.

What so you really know or understand about what I believe and nearly 16 million other Mormons believe? If you can find a more authoritative source for what constitutes Mormon doctrine than The Book of Mormon, I'd like to know what it is?

1 Nephi 13:41 And they must come according to the words which shall be established by the mouth of the Lamb; and the words of the Lamb shall be made known in the records of thy seed, as well as in the records of the twelve apostles of the Lamb; wherefore they both shall be established in one; for there is one God and one Shepherd over all the earth.

2 Nephi 21:31 And now, behold, my beloved brethren, this is the way; and there is none other way nor name given under heaven whereby man can be saved in the kingdom of God. And now, behold, this is the doctrine of Christ, and the only and true doctrine of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, which is one God, without end.

Mosiah 15:3-4 The Father, because he was conceived by the power of God; and the Son, because of the flesh; thus becoming the Father and Son -- And they are one God, yea, the very Eternal Father of heaven and of earth.

Mormon 7:7 And he hath brought to pass the redemption of the world, whereby he that is found guiltless before him at the judgment day hath it given unto him to dwell in the presence of God in his kingdom, to sing ceaseless praises with the choirs above, unto the Father, and unto the Son, and unto the Holy Ghost, which are one God, in a state of happiness which hath no end.

You can quote any other source you want, but none of them trump The Book of Mormon with respect to defining Mormon doctrine.

Last edited:

Grandliseur

As we share, let us share within the agreed foundation that regardless of our position, when we meet our Lord, He can set us straight and still follow His commandment that we love one another to which I think you are in agreement with.
I agree. I am not a Trinitarian, so on that issue and standpoint, I argued the scripture I sent you.

There are many disagreements that only the Lord shall clarity. You have to go with what you can accept, and the same for myself. We can still disagree and yet have a cordial exchange. God bless.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
It really depends on the Christian. Some are effectively polytheists and others aren't. Even with Catholics worshipping Mary, it depends. Some obviously are viewing her as divine and othets aren't (it's mostly because of those Marian apparitions and their devotions, which aren't required belief in Catholicism).

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I agree. I am not a Trinitarian, so on that issue and standpoint, I argued the scripture I sent you.

There are many disagreements that only the Lord shall clarity. You have to go with what you can accept, and the same for myself. We can still disagree and yet have a cordial exchange. God bless.
Grace and peace to you too!

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
And I can't imagine what the elders meant by their other comment about "gods of the nations." In 69 years as a Mormon, I've never heard anything remotely similar to that.

They said they meant heavenly father's other spirit children that followed Satan

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
Mormons believe that all of God's children have the potential to become gods and goddesses in the next life, but no one is anything of the sort right now.

That is polytheistic belief, @Katzpur. Or potential polytheism, if it makes you feel better.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
That is polytheistic belief, @Katzpur. Or potential polytheism, if it makes you feel better.
It doesn't make me feel either better or worse. I know who I worship and I know what God is capable of doing with and for His children. By the way, how familiar are you with C.S. Lewis? I don't know of any Christian who would have labeled him a polytheist. His theology regarding man's potential was almost exactly like Mormonism's.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
They said they meant heavenly father's other spirit children that followed Satan
I hope they clarified that "Heavenly Father's other spirit children that followed Satan" were never even permitted to have a mortal life, but that as spirits who were cast out with Satan, they can influence the thoughts and decisions of human beings who choose to follow their promptings.

Sleeppy

It doesn't make me feel either better or worse. I know who I worship and I know what God is capable of doing with and for His children. By the way, how familiar are you with C.S. Lewis? I don't know of any Christian who would have labeled him a polytheist. His theology regarding man's potential was almost exactly like Mormonism's.

If anyone believes that there is, or can be more than one God, that is by definition, polytheistic.

But, free will is polytheistic. We have the illusion that time proceeds like an arrow; that our experiences are self-created. This is our gift from God. Without this limitation, we would be God, singular; outside of time, and knowing all things.

Not even God can have free will. God is good, and unchanging. But, to the Son of Man; even all of God's possession, we inherit the knowledge of God to no final end.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
If anyone believes that there is, or can be more than one God, that is by definition, polytheistic.
Then anyone who accepts the Bible as the word of God is polytheistic, as the Bible says that God is "God of gods."

But, free will is polytheistic. We have the illusion that time proceeds like an arrow; that our experiences are self-created. This is our gift from God. Without this limitation, we would be God, singular; outside of time, and knowing all things.

Not even God can have free will. God is good, and unchanging. But, to the Son of Man; even all of God's possession, we inherit the knowledge of God to no final end.
Sorry, but that makes no sense to me.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
What do you guys think? I mean it does look like a monotheistic religion, but if you look at the other side, doesn't it look like a polytheistic religion, as well? Apparently, Christians like to worship a supernatural being other than God, like Mary for example or St Christopher. Many tens if not hundreds of millions of Christians carry around Mary or St Christopher talismans. They may be seen on neck chains and on car dashboards throughout the world. They are often called charms because they are believed to act as magical charms to ward off danger. It is clear that millions believe that a supernatural being other than God is able to provide them with supernatural protection, right? Also, Icons are also worshipped.
Christianity is monotheistic, but it becomes complicated because while people may know of the various ideas within Christianity, they don't know the full theology behind them.

So, with figures such as Mary, or the Saints, they aren't worshipped. They aren't seen as divine. They are not gods in any sense. It is recognized that they were humans. Humans who did great things, but still humans. But because of their roles, they are seen to be closer to God. Thus, people don't pray to them, but basically are asking them to pray for them. Its a prayer through those individuals.

And having charms or whatever doesn't constitute a polytheistic belief. You can have talismans or whatever, and still have a monotheistic belief. Those items aren't being worshipped. Its just a way to feel closer to God. I could have an item I believed to be blessed by God, or touched by God, and keep it close to me because of whatever magical properties, but that doesn't mean I think that item is divine.

Just to touch on the Trinity now, it can be represented as a polytheistic belief, but it really doesn't need to be. Judaism had a binitarian view of God in the first century. A view that God came in different, lets say forms. Its one God, but a God that relates to humans in different ways. One can label this view monistic.

Sleeppy

Then anyone who accepts the Bible as the word of God is polytheistic, as the Bible says that God is "God of gods."

Sorry, but that makes no sense to me.

Isaiah 43:10
You are My witnesses, an affirmation of YHVH, And My servant whom I have chosen, So that ye know and give credence to Me, And understand that I am He, Before Me there was no God formed, And after Me there is none.

1) The authors admit that. They were polytheistic, attempting to understand and conform to monotheism.

2) It is impossible for most. Simply put: it is impossible for God to be subverted, i.e. to acknowledge other gods. Will you serve two masters?

Last edited:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Isaiah 43:10
You are My witnesses, an affirmation of YHVH, And My servant whom I have chosen, So that ye know and give credence to Me, And understand that I am He, Before Me there was no God formed, And after Me there is none.

1) The authors admit that. They were polytheistic, attempting to understand and conform to monotheism.

2) It is impossible for most. Simply put: it is impossible for God to be subverted, i.e. to acknowledge other gods. Will you serve two masters?
I serve the same God as Paul did when he said in 1 Corinthians 8:5-6, "For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,) But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him."

Period. No further comment.

Muffled

Jesus in me
What do you guys think? I mean it does look like a monotheistic religion, but if you look at the other side, doesn't it look like a polytheistic religion, as well? Apparently, Christians like to worship a supernatural being other than God, like Mary for example or St Christopher. Many tens if not hundreds of millions of Christians carry around Mary or St Christopher talismans. They may be seen on neck chains and on car dashboards throughout the world. They are often called charms because they are believed to act as magical charms to ward off danger. It is clear that millions believe that a supernatural being other than God is able to provide them with supernatural protection, right? Also, Icons are also worshipped.

I believe that is not Christianity but is Roman Catholicism. Chrstianity is monotheistic.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Christianity is definitely monotheistic if you understand it's theology. Honestly, most Trinitarians are not going around thinking of three individuals in a triad. They see them as more like roles or modes of God, if that's a good way of putting it. Christians also don't believe saints are deities. I understand how it might seem polytheistic though. It certainly is unique in it's monotheism.

I believe Modalism was proposed by Sibelius but it falls short in describing the Trinity. Suffice it to say that the Trinity is one God.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I do not believe so. It only appears that way to the misinformed.
I am sufficiently informed. I was a Trinitarian Christian for a long time. I took my theology from many renown people and I could sit here and explain it to anyone who cared to listen, but it still doesn't convince me.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I am sufficiently informed. I was a Trinitarian Christian for a long time. I took my theology from many renown people and I could sit here and explain it to anyone who cared to listen, but it still doesn't convince me.
You can explain the Trinity to me because I never really understood it. :D

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
You can explain the Trinity to me because I never really understood it. :D
ImageForArticle_723(1).jpg

The trinity is like a prism. Whilst all the colours together may appear as one solid colour, white, when put through the glass we can see all the different colours that come through and yet remain, in light, white. It is made of the same substance, but can appear at once the same and different.