• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Christianity monotheistic or polytheistic?

• Monotheistic

Votes: 17 70.8%
  • Polytheistic

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Henotheistic

Votes: 4 16.7%

• Total voters

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
I'm sure threads on this topic has been made before, but...

Genesis 1:26

My former Baptist pastor would say this verse was evidence of the Trinity.

As a Christian, it was hard to wrap my ahead around God being 3 in 1. I never thought to hard on it we a youngster.

Is Christianity polytheistic? Let's see.

They worship Jehovah.
They worship Jesus.
Do they worship the Holy Spirit as well? I'm not sure.

Jesus is the son of god. There is a separation between the father and the son, right?

Saying Jesus is the same as his father reminds me of Advaita Vedanta. We are all one with Brahman in this theology. Is it something similar?

I'm curious what everyone thinks, not just Christians.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Three distinct persons out of one single divine essence/substance

So there is one God being who manifests as three God persons

Therefore Monotheism as there is only one God being

That's my understanding of it anyway :D

Orbit

I'm a planet

As a Christian, it was hard to wrap my ahead around God being 3 in 1. I never thought to hard on it we a youngster.

They worship Jehovah.
They worship Jesus.

Jesus is the son of god. There is a separation between the father and the son, right?

Saying Jesus is the same as his father reminds me of Advaita Vedanta. We are all one with Brahman in this theology. Is it something similar?

Christianity is, if we are to believe the 10 commandments, henotheistic (there are many gods, but you're only supposed to worship the God of Israel.)

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Christianity is, if we are to believe the 10 commandments, henotheistic (there are many gods, but you're only supposed to worship the God of Israel.)
I'd have to disagree

Yes, maybe the ancient Israelis were henotheistic - when they were given the Ten Commandments (as far as I am aware, please someone correct me if I'm wrong)

But as I understand it, by the time Jesus was alive they had developed into Monotheists

And Jesus himself was a Monotheist

Orbit

I'm a planet
I'd have to disagree

Yes, maybe the ancient Israelis were henotheistic - when they were given the Ten Commandments (as far as I am aware, please someone correct me if I'm wrong)

But as I understand it, by the time Jesus was alive they had developed into Monotheists

And Jesus himself was a Monotheist

Then why the continuing injunctions about "whoring after other gods"?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Then why the continuing injunctions about "whoring after other gods"?
Inherited tradition from Henotheistic times?

Also, "other gods" are false Gods that don't exist but can still be worshipped

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Three distinct persons out of one single divine essence/substance

So there is one God being who manifests as three God persons

Therefore Monotheism as there is only one God being

That's my understanding of it anyway :D
Does God manifest from Christians? I was taught the blood of Christ unifies Christians with Him.

Orbit

I'm a planet
Inherited tradition from Henotheistic times?

Also, "other gods" are false Gods that don't exist but can still be worshipped

I doubt that other gods were considered to "not exist". If they didn't exist, there wouldn't be an injunction against them, there would be no need.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I doubt that other gods were considered to "not exist". If they didn't exist, there wouldn't be an injunction against them, there would be no need.
If they were thought to exist at one point and then after that point there was an injunction made against worshipping them and then people forgot all about them and stopped believing in them then the original injunction would remain

exchemist

Veteran Member
The ten commandments are Jewish. While descended from Judaism, Christianity formulates its theology from the New Testament, not the Old. In fact, one can see an evolution in the course of the Old Testament from the more primitive idea of the God of Israel being just the most powerful among the various gods of rival tribes, to the later idea that there is only God and everyone else has simply got it all wrong.

The idea of the Trinity relates to different aspects of God, though admittedly it has been so bound up with nitpicking distinctions over the centuries (for which many people have lost their lives for getting it a bit "wrong" and thereby stepping on a mine) that it is almost impossible to reconcile.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

They worship Jehovah.
They worship Jesus.

The Creed starts with the words "We believe in ONE God." Thus monotheism. Now is it a pure monotheism? It is definitely not. It is muddied. But it still fits in with monotheism better than polytheism or henotheism.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I'll defer to how the Christians describe their theology, out of respect.

That said, as a Pagan their theology doesn't strike me as hard monotheism, like Judaism or Islam do. It's more of a soft monotheism because of the things mentioned in the OP.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member

They worship Jehovah.
They worship Jesus.

Monotheistic.

There's only one God.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
The Creed begins with the following words: "We believe in ONE God." Monotheism.