• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Charity Duty?

Stormygale

"Is charity a duty???"
Queer question, indeed.
If you look the word charity up, it says to give. The bible says blessings only follow the giver who has done the act with a cheerful heart. So where does the forced action of duty come into that conversation......

armageddon

skills101 said:
Do you believe that we have a duty, as humans, to give to our fellow man? To give to charity, where there's no concrete reward?

As for me, I've never been in the business of charity. I believe that those who need charity got themselves into that position by themselves, and therefore, need to find their way out by themselves. I always say that if you want to become successful in America, there is always a way. There will always be that McDonald's down the street, and there will always be that one-room apartment to rent when you have the money, and there will always be the community college waiting for you to sign up.

As a side comment, I believe that we are already being forced to give to charity. Part of the taxes we give goes to welfare, to the homeless whom I believe are there by choice. Do you agree that we should be forced to give to welfare?

Whenever I pass through Los Angeles, I always see a few bums with a half-full beer in their hands, and I think "My money is going to him??" And then I see the single mother with four filthy-dressed children trailing behind her, and I think, "I can't believe I have to pay money to her, who made and continues to make all the wrong decisions in life."

As Andrew Carnegie said, "And while the law of competition may be hard for the individual, it is best for the race, because it ensures the survival of the fittest in every department."
well not all the people who are in charity had much of a choice or a chance of getting themselves out or keeping themselves from getting in. not all people in charity are adults who have had chances to live their lives and messed up in doing so-- some are just children who have been left on the streets or were in an accident where theywere the only one to have survived.

i think that we have a duty in helping those younger people out. i mean sure, there are the bums and them out there that dig their own hole a bit deep and are considered "charity" and get a portion of the money we give to charity, but there are also those kids who probably want to have a chance in changing the direction of their lives and benefitting from charity.

and i might be wrong but isn't survival of the fittest darwin? haha just wondering